Does anyone know why Fields fell?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So at first I didn't care why he fell. And whatever the reason is, I've gathered enough from people in the media talking around it to guess that it wasn't a real legit concern but it did spook some teams from selecting him because they didn't thoroughly investigate.

Beyond that, the only other thing I know is that the idea of him dropping because of race was universally dismissed because Trey Lance did end up going second, and this was being admitted by people who said they intentionally first thought it was because of race.

Did anyone ever find out what the rumors going around actually were?

I've already heard people on ESPN and 670 The score make reference to the rumors but no one will identify what the rumors exactly were.

Just curious if anyone heard anything

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
So at first I didn't care why he fell. And whatever the reason is, I've gathered enough from people in the media talking around it to guess that it wasn't a real legit concern but it did spook some teams from selecting him because they didn't thoroughly investigate.

Beyond that, the only other thing I know is that the idea of him dropping because of race was universally dismissed because Trey Lance did end up going second, and this was being admitted by people who said they intentionally first thought it was because of race.

I've already heard people on ESPN and 670 The score make reference to the rumors but no one will identify what the rumors exactly were.

I read an article today on yahoo sports that it was all about his epilepsy

"One week before the 2021 NFL Draft, the league publicly released the fact that Fields has epilepsy. Within days, his overall ranking fell from second to 13th, leaving some sports analysts baffled."

Last edited:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Indiana and Northwestern exposed some flaws in his game. He takes too long to make reads. That's why he fell, and that is what will be his undoing if he doesn't make it in the NFL (barring injury). His physical talent is superior to Trevor Lawrence and is about as good as you'll possibly find.

Liked Posts:
It has more to do with the guys picked ahead of him than anything else.

QBs 1-3 you had a prodigy and 2 guys teams locked in. The rest of the teams either didn’t need a QB immediately and/or didn’t think it was worth taking one over some prospects ranked #1 for their respective position.

I don’t buy the epilepsy reasons. Bears got lucky.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

I don't think teams didn't research him enough and within days of the draft random fans were able to find out rumors about him weren't true that duped nfl teams. If anything teams over scrutinized things that were real, but likely not as big of concerns for some teams.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was all the same BS that happens every year to one of the elite players. They start dropping and at the same time an unexpected player starts rising.

There was no reason for this. ZERO.

But I'm glad it happened so our beloved got a chance to get a player like this.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I don't think teams didn't research him enough and within days of the draft random fans were able to find out rumors about him weren't true that duped nfl teams. If anything teams over scrutinized things that were real, but likely not as big of concerns for some teams.

Teams always overthink things.

It's why most GM's don't stick around too long.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Indiana and Northwestern exposed some flaws in his game. He takes too long to make reads. That's why he fell, and that is what will be his undoing if he doesn't make it in the NFL (barring injury). His physical talent is superior to Trevor Lawrence and is about as good as you'll possibly find.

He also wasn't healthy

Think he showed that in the playoffs and against Clemson

I'll take that over games against NW and Indiana

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

Yet Trey Lance plays one awful(and I mean awful) game against Central Arkansas and still goes #3.

The answer is the NFL over thinks itself into stupid decisions at the quarterback position.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yet Trey Lance plays one awful(and I mean awful) game against Central Arkansas and still goes #3.

The answer is the NFL over thinks itself into stupid decisions at the quarterback position.
You can debate the merits of his slide, but I'm just telling you why it happened. I was also curious about why he fell since he ticks so many boxes.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I read an article today on yahoo sports that it was all about his epilepsy

"One week before the 2021 NFL Draft, the league publicly released the fact that Fields has epilepsy. Within days, his overall ranking fell from second to 13th, leaving some sports analysts baffled."

I wonder about that. That's what I thought originally as well but then I've heard some of the local sports beat guys on the radio saying that all the teams knew about the epilepsy well in advance, and dismissed it as the reason for the drop. One of the hosts directly asked the beat guys about it and the alluded to it being something other than the epilepsy but did not specify what.

msadows

Liked Posts:
It was all the same BS that happens every year to one of the elite players. They start dropping and at the same time an unexpected player starts rising.

It's so weird tho. I get a guy like herbert dropping a bit due to his accuracy concerns.

Fields has been at the pinnacle of the sport for 6 years now. The guy has had ryan pace's scout sluts looking at him since 2017. His negatives are all things you can coach. His positives are all things that are natural born gifts......

msadows

Liked Posts:

I'll admit, that trey lance game was the first I saw of him. It was not really anything special to me.....like at all.

Granted, he had a great year two years ago, but so did mike williams before he shit the bed for the lions.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

The closest I got to whatever it was, was that every year there are certain factions that want to hurt a player and cause their stock to slide.

It's malicious and it does happen every year to some of the athletes.

That was from a different beat reporter and this was the closest thing I heard to whenever the rumor that caused him to slide was.

It seemed like there was universal agreement that whatever it was, was both malicious and false, and done with the intense to harm his draft stock.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
What you said all falls under your own opinion.
Not really. I've listened to enough podcasts and read enough articles grapping with this same question to hear the same answer repeated over and over.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder about that. That's what I thought originally as well but then I've heard some of the local sports beat guys on the radio saying that all the teams knew about the epilepsy well in advance, and dismissed it as the reason for the drop. One of the hosts directly asked the beat guys about it and the alluded to it being something other than the epilepsy but did not specify what.
To be honest, I didn't even know he had epilepsy until I read that article...Thats why I posted it...lol

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think what really happened was people stared falling in love with Zach Wilson, and then said does Trey have the most potential? Neither of those 2 should of been 1st rounders let alone top 10 picks. Fields had a legit argument to be the #1 overall.

Liked Posts:
Yeah the two games he looked bad on (NW, Indy) along with his throwing motion were the main negatives I heard.

I couldn’t care less about 2 bad games given his body of work.

The throwing motion was the only one that I would worry about, but that can either be corrected or hopefully won’t even need to be.