Does anyone know why Fields fell?

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen a few things whether I agree with them or not.

1) Processing - He can take too long to read the field and can have some Rex Grossman sacks where he just looks overwhelmed.
2) Epilepsy (I don't think this is it)
3) He doesn't "Love" football (I think this is somehow related to his demeanor, but can't say for sure).
4) He isn't very intense in his leadership.
5) The book on him is to blitz heavy and in the NFL, those will get home faster and give him less time to do the thing he isn't the best at. Also, the windows of open receivers on the blitz is likely smaller in the NFL.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Likely a little of all above...
Teams think to much... then like a guy with a short history over a proven commodity... then you think you’re smarter than everyone... draft Trubisky and prove yourself wrong.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Indiana and Northwestern exposed some flaws in his game. He takes too long to make reads. That's why he fell, and that is what will be his undoing if he doesn't make it in the NFL (barring injury). His physical talent is superior to Trevor Lawrence and is about as good as you'll possibly find.

During the draft telecast, Joel Klatt made a point to say that this concern was largely unfounded. He said that many analysts don’t understand the Ohio State offensive scheme. He noted that they run a read route offense where Fields is required to hold the ball longer.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I do believe it was based on subconscious racial bias. About 4 months ago Lawrence and Fields were consistently 1&2 on draft boards.

Then rumors swirled about Fields work ethic, even though there was zero evidence of it. But because of racial bias people accepted this as fact and let these rumors stick.

Racial bias isn't about someone being racist, it is about negative racial stereotypes becoming easy to believe to the point where people easily believe it, without proof of it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's because he does take some time for reads...There are some games where it was not an issue....some where it was.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The closest I got to whatever it was, was that every year there are certain factions that want to hurt a player and cause their stock to slide.

It's malicious and it does happen every year to some of the athletes.

That was from a different beat reporter and this was the closest thing I heard to whenever the rumor that caused him to slide was.

It seemed like there was universal agreement that whatever it was, was both malicious and false, and done with the intense to harm his draft stock.
Much like Dan Marino's major fall in 1983. Right before the draft there were rumors of drug use that all proved false and it cost him at least 20 spots in the draft.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
So at first I didn't care why he fell. And whatever the reason is, I've gathered enough from people in the media talking around it to guess that it wasn't a real legit concern but it did spook some teams from selecting him because they didn't thoroughly investigate.

Beyond that, the only other thing I know is that the idea of him dropping because of race was universally dismissed because Trey Lance did end up going second, and this was being admitted by people who said they intentionally first thought it was because of race.

Did anyone ever find out what the rumors going around actually were?

I've already heard people on ESPN and 670 The score make reference to the rumors but no one will identify what the rumors exactly were.

Just curious if anyone heard anything
It was because of race for every team but the 49ers and Bears.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I heard it was too much testosterone.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Against Clemson Fields was phenomenal. In the NCAA championship he wasn't. 17 for 33, 190 yards, 1 TD. In same game Mac Jones was 36-45, 450 yards, 5 TDs. Of course different situations.

Against Northwestern and Indiana he was bad. He left Georgia for Ohio State because he couldn't beat out Jake Fromm for starting job. Fromm went I think in 5th round and is 3rd string for Buffalo.

He might end up a star in the NFL, or maybe not. Lamar Jackson went 32nd, 5th QB picked and got MVP in second year.

I don't think anybody really knows.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The closest I got to whatever it was, was that every year there are certain factions that want to hurt a player and cause their stock to slide.

It's malicious and it does happen every year to some of the athletes.

That was from a different beat reporter and this was the closest thing I heard to whenever the rumor that caused him to slide was.

It seemed like there was universal agreement that whatever it was, was both malicious and false, and done with the intense to harm his draft stock.

I really want to know more about this

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
if the beat guys won’t even bring up the rumor on air then it can’t really be all that credible or major.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I really want to know more about this
Same here.

The entire vibe I got was that the local beat reporters new exactly who started whatever that rumor was, knew it was entirely bullshit and done out of malice, and they weren't going to give it any credence by either saying what the rumor was, or by saying who started it.

They were talking about it without talking about it in an attempt to acknowledge it and yet at the same time force it to die. Just the vibe I got. And I think they would have said something if it were actual news, but the impression I got was that however it started, they all felt it was really unfortunate, but refuse to out it because it was total bullshit.

I'm sure if it had real legs they would have said something more and it would have been a major story.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Against Clemson Fields was phenomenal. In the NCAA championship he wasn't. 17 for 33, 190 yards, 1 TD. In same game Mac Jones was 36-45, 450 yards, 5 TDs. Of course different situations.

Against Northwestern and Indiana he was bad. He left Georgia for Ohio State because he couldn't beat out Jake Fromm for starting job. Fromm went I think in 5th round and is 3rd string for Buffalo.

He might end up a star in the NFL, or maybe not. Lamar Jackson went 32nd, 5th QB picked and got MVP in second year.

I don't think anybody really knows.

He really wasn't even that bad against Indiana. His first interception I'm 90% sure the receiver ran a bad route, if you watch, the receiver cuts in like he's running a deep in and then suddenly cuts back up field. Second INT was bobbled around, not a great decision but came from trying to do to much. Ditto, the third, he was in the process of getting tackled and made a throw he had no business trying. Just a bad decision but again, not one that had anything to do with reading/processing defenses. Needs to just take the sack. He still threw for 300 yards.

Northwestern was a clunker though. Easily his worst game in college.

None of that justifies him falling. Again, people can overlook Trey Lance looking like a high school quarterback against nobodies in his one and only game and decide he's a top 3 pick? Talking about a guy with 4 200 yard passing games in his entire college career. If you watch anything beyond the highlights there is absolutely no comparison between Fields and Lance. Fields is an elite NFL prospect. He showed it time and again. Lance is a guy with little experience and less production against garbage competition.