Does anyone know why Fields fell?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
if the beat guys won’t even bring up the rumor on air then it can’t really be all that credible or major.
Oh I know the rumor is not credible. The impression I got was that it was out and out bullshit.

But I am still curious as to what the bullshit rumor was that forced him to drop.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He really wasn't even that bad against Indiana. His first interception I'm 90% sure the receiver ran a bad route, if you watch, the receiver cuts in like he's running a deep in and then suddenly cuts back up field. Second INT was bobbled around, not a great decision but came from trying to do to much. Ditto, the third, he was in the process of getting tackled and made a throw he had no business trying. Just a bad decision but again, not one that had anything to do with reading/processing defenses. Needs to just take the sack. He still threw for 300 yards.

Northwestern was a clunker though. Easily his worst game in college.

None of that justifies him falling. Again, people can overlook Trey Lance looking like a high school quarterback against nobodies in his one and only game and decide he's a top 3 pick? Talking about a guy with 4 200 yard passing games in his entire college career. If you watch anything beyond the highlights there is absolutely no comparison between Fields and Lance. Fields is an elite NFL prospect. He showed it time and again. Lance is a guy with little experience and less production against garbage competition.

I have to admit, I do not believe I have ever seen Trey Lance play. With the pandemic I watched more college football than ever so plenty Alabama, Ohio State and BYU. Never North Dakota State since my gambling days.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Oh I know the rumor is not credible. The impression I got was that it was out and out bullshit.

But I am still curious as to what the bullshit rumor was that forced him to drop.
There wasn't any bullshit rumor, only a rumor about a bullshit rumor which you have now bought into. Congrats.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Against Clemson Fields was phenomenal. In the NCAA championship he wasn't. 17 for 33, 190 yards, 1 TD. In same game Mac Jones was 36-45, 450 yards, 5 TDs. Of course different situations.

Against Northwestern and Indiana he was bad. He left Georgia for Ohio State because he couldn't beat out Jake Fromm for starting job. Fromm went I think in 5th round and is 3rd string for Buffalo.

He might end up a star in the NFL, or maybe not. Lamar Jackson went 32nd, 5th QB picked and got MVP in second year.

I don't think anybody really knows.
The Fromm thing is sus af

Varking

Enigma
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Toronto FC
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Carolina Panthers
  1. Colorado Avalanche
  1. Florida Gators
Prospect fatigue is a real thing.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Seems unlikely they are so bad at their jobs they couldn't see the obviously superior talent

Unless something else was blinding them to it
Oh, you think its racism. OK. Be sure to check under you bed for the klan member tonight.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, you think its racism. OK. Be sure to check under you bed for the klan member tonight.
Quite the leap there buddy

But OSU sure didn't seem to have any problem identifying his talent

napo55

Liked Posts:
Sometimes slow to process information and make the obvious throw and..

the hitch in his passing motion which slows his release.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Quite the leap there buddy

But OSU sure didn't seem to have any problem identifying his talent
It happens man. Kyler Murray left A&M, Jalen Hurts left Alabama...its a fact of college football these days. I wouldn't make a huge deal of it.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pat Fitzgerald confirmed this week that Fields injured his thumb in the Northwestern game.

Fitz was the first coach to offer Fields and likes him a lot even though he ended up going with a top program. Nagy has a relationship with Fitz and he also worked with Ryan Day in Philly, so the Bears had a lot of inside information on the player.

There's probably some truth to medical scaring off teams. I think that's why Fields acknowledged his epilepsy publicly going into the draft. He talked about it again in his presser on Thursday night. There's a family history there. He takes pills every night and hasn't had a seizure for years.

Fields was injured in the Clemson game, of course, and came back from a brutal hit to throw a couple touchdowns. He couldn't get out of bed after the game, didn't practice all week, and still played in the championship vs Alabama. He gutted it out that game and didn't play poorly.

If you haven't listened to the 360 Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks put together for the Move the Sticks podcast, I highly recommend it to get better perspective. They'll be updating it for broadcast on the NFL network later this week (Friday I think)

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Fields fell because Zach Wilson threw a throw in his Pro Day that Fields has done in a College Football Playoff game, and Kyle Shanahan saw something in Trey Lance he couldn't pass up.

That's it. I wouldn't overthink it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Why did Deshaun Watson fall to 12?

Why did the guy who might go down as the best quarterback ever go at 10 and not 1?

Why did the guy who's the current best quarterback ever go in the 6th round and not the 1st?