Hopefully the Bears will pencil in Teven Jenkins at LT from beginning

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I don't see much of a lack of quickness tbh. He won with savvy a lot at the college level, and that will be a problem beginning his NFL career. He's not going to be able to bait NFL EDGE players the way he could at OSU. But I see plenty there to potentially be a solid LT. That said, if he struggles with it in camp, move to RT early, let him learn there, and try LT again next year if the roster dictates that. Don't fuck his head up trying to force him into LT if he isn't there.
Good post. My sentiments exactly. For reference here he has the same arm length as David Bakhtiari, who is certainly in the conversation for best in the League.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I said this before his footwork is questionable. Leave him at right tackle and work some things out and then move him if he handles the Right side.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
jenkins - whitehair - mustipher - daniels - ifedi

is that our best lineup right now? if so, how confident are you in it? i think whitehair has to stay where he's an all-pro, and i think mustipher did a good enough job last year to hold down the center position....unless they want to kick daniels back in there. for depth, there's bars, borom, hambright, and simmons.

definitely hoping they bring in more veterans. if not, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out thru training camp.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I find it odd that people think Jenkins can't play LT because of athleticism or arm length or whatever....yet there haven't been as many questions with Sewell and Slater, who both have SHORTER arms. Jenkins also beat OT1 Sewell in literally every category. Faster, more agile, better explosion, stronger, longer arms.

The more I watch Jenkins the more I see Trent Williams (I'm not the only one who says this either). Very similar player coming out in the draft, and Williams is a perennial all pro and one of the best in the business.

I honestly think Jenkins gets knocked because not only did he play RT this year at OK State, but he also plays like a RT. He's physical and violent in the run game, so people want to pigeonhole him into RT because "that's where the great run blockers are". But there's 0 reason to think he can't play LT unless he has an issue with the footwork with his left leg, which based on testing and the 7 games he has played there should not be an issue.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Good post. My sentiments exactly. For reference here he has the same arm length as David Bakhtiari, who is certainly in the conversation for best in the League.

Close, but not the same. Jenkins arm length is 33.5 inches, and Bakhtiari measured in at 34.08 inches at the combine.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Close, but not the same. Jenkins arm length is 33.5 inches, and Bakhtiari measured in at 34.08 inches at the combine.
Yeah I'm seeing it now. I was going off recall and was certain he was 33.5 coming out.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Put him at LT. Let him learn. Have your LT for a decade.

He has everything you need to play LT. His technique is very advanced for a college OT. He is going to win with athletic ability, he is going to win with power and technique.

Dion Dawkins in Buffalo is who I would comp his style to.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a double edge sword that Jenkins ended up not playing LT in 2020 because the starting Oklahoma St RT went down early and the only backup tackle with experience was experienced at LT. If he had taken all of his 2020 snaps at LT, we probably wouldn't have gotten him @ 39. I'm still betting they sign another tackle w/ LT experience between now and training camp. They're just waiting for the prices to come down, or post June 1st cuts.
I was wondering if the reason TJ didn’t play LT in college was there was Leno like situation there where the other T was LT only.

Thanks for the info.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jenkins *can* play the LT position. The fact he played RT last season is a bonus. Borom played 4 OL positions at Missouri.

They will be fine.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How crazy would it be if Larry Borom (has good feet) ends up being a LT and Jenkins ends up being the RT.....

Not sure I have ever seen a team spend a 2nd AND 3rd round pick on a Tackle and expect anything other than him to play at LT.

I think that just because of the draft status, they are expecting to put him on the Left and then they cut Leno right after he is drafted.... the writing is on the wall, he is going to be excepted to play LT.

I agree, and I'm a hardcore Teven Jenkens guy. I would rather them have Ifedi go LT, if only for this season, due to experience at the NFL level. Teven seems as though he'd be a slam dunk at RT. So, with that said, I'd rather just have the "experiment at LT" be someone who's played tackle, has NFL experience, and won't be overwhelmed by the speed of the game AND be trying to get used to playing on the left again.

I could be wrong. We could all be wrong. And if that happens to be the case, the Bears really hit it out of the park, with those two picks

No. Jenkins is going to be LT. Do some research on him. He's been training specifically at LT and has all the traits to do it. His attitude as a hard-ass with high expectations of himself will be contagious. Where Nagy allowed shitty play and laziness, Jenkins will not.

jenkins - whitehair - mustipher - daniels - ifedi

is that our best lineup right now?
if so, how confident are you in it? i think whitehair has to stay where he's an all-pro, and i think mustipher did a good enough job last year to hold down the center position....unless they want to kick daniels back in there. for depth, there's bars, borom, hambright, and simmons.

definitely hoping they bring in more veterans. if not, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out thru training camp.
^ Abosofuckinlutely!! Mustipher was a game changer, knows the plays & makes the calls (better than Daniels/Whitehair even), and he blocks well at C. Jenkins will be a game changer also.
Cool to have a serviceable Ifedi at RT with Borom as a solid RT backup while in training as future starter.

Another insurance backup LT would be nice. As said - ANYBODY will be better than Leno, but we're finally raising our expectations here.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
No. Jenkins is going to be LT. Do some research on him. He's been training specifically at LT and has all the traits to do it. His attitude as a hard-ass with high expectations of himself will be contagious. Where Nagy allowed shitty play and laziness, Jenkins will not.

^ Abosofuckinlutely!! Mustipher was a game changer, knows the plays & makes the calls (better than Daniels/Whitehair even), and he blocks well at C. Jenkins will be a game changer also.
Cool to have a serviceable Ifedi at RT with Borom as a solid RT backup while in training as future starter.

Another insurance backup LT would be nice. As said - ANYBODY will be better than Leno, but we're finally raising our expectations here.
Yeah, I know he played LT and was just as good on that side as well. I was just spitballing an idea.