I’ve Had It With This Bunch

Bust

Liked Posts:
Angels need a overhaul. They are beyond a small fix.
It's always been pitching with them.

They screwed themselves further by signing Quintana in the offseason. Least it was only for one year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's always been pitching with them.

They screwed themselves further by signing Quintana in the offseason. Least it was only for one year.

Team hitting they are ranked #21 at 3.7 fWAR. Behind the Cubs.
Team pitching they are ranked #20 at 2.7 fWAR
Team fielding they are 2nd to last at -12.9 Def

They are just bad in general.

We get wraped up in name value but Trout is all of their O at 2.4 fWAR. Rendon is at .5 himself and was a major investment.

Tossing cash will not fix them. They need to start producing.

If you want my opinion?

Let Ohtani be a full time starter. A ace costs more than a DH.

Most of the starters are at .6- through .2 fWAR. Otani has 3 less starts and 18 less innings than Bundy. They are tied at .5.

You make him the ace then we are looking at a 1+ WAR pitcher with some issues going on but not drastic. Q you drop into the pen. Bundy is a decent #4. Henaney is a decent back of the rotation lefty. As of now he would be my #5. Cobb has bad luck or D. It is 2nd to last in the league. His Fip is at 2.52 ERA 5.48. So ya this is a D issue.

Sandoval has been moved up into the rotation. This might be a in house fix if he can match 2018. 11-1 2.06 ERA over 4 levels. They also have Chris Rodriguez in the pen but also came up a starter.

So they have something going on already.

The reality is they need to rebuild to put stronger D players up the middle. Move Trout to RF maybe sign Jacky Bradley for CF next year. Then go after a better SS. Iglesias is not going to win you much. Rendon has been the best defender but his bat is not where it was.

So if I was them. Shed contract and be a big player in the SS market. Baez IMO is a match there. Cubs move Nico to SS until the next wave upwells. Like I said Bradley in CF to move Trout to RF and increase the over all D.

PS: Oh they have Marsh. Nix the Bradley. Marsh has the same level of D at AAA. They should just promote him and push Rodriguez into the rotation.

Regardless Iglesias is their heel. -8.5 UZR/150. The O is lite weight. So SS is their challenge going forward and their investment. Everything else should end up in house.

Ohtani
Sandoval
Rodriguez
Invest
Invest

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
Lol, they haven't had pitching long before your sample size of one year.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lol, they haven't had pitching long before your sample size of one year.

What has that to do with this year or going forward?

This year they have Q, Bundy, Cobb, Heaney.
all are dropping off.

So the time to reinvest is next year.

Last night they started Patrick Sandoval so they are looking into inhouse. Chris Rodriguez is their #4 rated prospect and is in the pen.

Their biggest problem is team D. Their biggest hole is SS. The OF they have Brandon Marsh and Jo Adell in AAA. Upton can be moved to DH or 1B in his final year. Pujos drops off next year.

The drop off their SS Jose Iglesias. Baez would be a strong signing . They have Rondon at 3B and Fletcher at 2B. Jerred Walsh is ok at 1B. He is more bat first.

So looking at the line up it can improve with Adell and Marsh pending. They have 2 young arms to go with a legit ace in Ohtani. I see it as smarter using Otani as a PH vs a stable DH. His focus should be pitching. The one weakness is SS and the market is ripe. Baez is most likely target #3. Some teams will aim lower as the market has 5 starting quality. Others will fight for Story. Baez I see as a solid investment for a team needing a +D SS. Not to mention Joe would push to get him.

After Baez they would need pitching. José Suarez would be a disappointment option as a 4th arm.

The market is ok. If I was them I would target Verlander and Scherzer. Let them take the pressure off of Ohtani's first year as a TOR.

As far as this year goes. Their D is a wreck and they need to improve that first. It makes the pitching worse than it is.

They are at 189M. Next year it drops to 119. With that 70M they can invest into Baez (22M) Verlander (15M) Scherzer (30M) Last 2 on 1 year deals. Baez on a term deal. It would be hiring 2 guns going for a ring.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The angels have consistently been a bad team in all phases for years. They might have the worst FO in baseball. The team is horribly assembled, but they keep grabbing super expensive FAs as if they are going to make them a contender while not filling glaring holes and having an awful minor league system

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The angels have consistently been a bad team in all phases for years. They might have the worst FO in baseball. The team is horribly assembled, but they keep grabbing super expensive FAs as if they are going to make them a contender while not filling glaring holes and having an awful minor league system
They have Marsh who is a plus defender. Adell I doubt will be a wash out. I believe their #2 prospect is a pitcher in AA. So they have something.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As far as the Cubs are concerned. Nico can move over to SS. That saves $$$ and Nico is a more rounded hitter than Javy who has far too much all or nothing to his game.

It would also be wise to resign Duffy. I wouldn't even let him get near F/A.

Bryant I would invest into. His value was dropping because of his D at 3B. It has improved with is better D in the OF. So what they are doing right now is working and they should invest here.

I wouldn't invest into Rizzo. It takes up resource on a declining bat.

Jake Marisnick they have a opt on I would pull it.

With the Cubs AA is where the next wave is at. Marquez, Davis, Amaya, Morel.

in 2 years we are looking at:

LF Davis (Open)
CF Happ (last year) Morel replacing him.
RF Heyward (last year) Davis moving over.
3B Duffy
SS Hoerner
2B Bote
1B Bryant
C Contreras (Amaya pushing for PA's that could push Bryant to LF and Contreras to 1B)

So I don't see a major issue going forward for them. This is where they have invested into talent and at this point Howard would be 21 and Hernandez 19. Howard might even be ready and Nico goes back to 2B at this point.

Pitching is more of a Cubs need. They have Jake and Trevor under control for 2022. 2023 you would expect Marquez in the rotation. Hendricks they would still have a 2024 opt. This is where I would invest into a arm. Carlos Rondon would be my #1 target as of right now. CWS have Lynn dropping off next year and Kopech taking over his slot. So they could invest into Rondon. It is a tough call because he is a Boas client and with this year as fuel you know that he would claim him as the #1 F/A TOR ahead of Thor. Soxs have Stiever as their #4 rated arm and could just start him. It is a tough call for a mid market team.

Not to mention Crochet who they can convert like they did with Sale. This is not outside what they have done.

It is far more likely that they Run with Giolito, Keuchel, Cease, Kopech, Crochet with Stiever picking up spot starts than pay Boras.

But I would go to bed with Boas. Sign both Rondon and Bryant with the opened up payroll. This makes the Rotation

Rondon
Hendricks
Arietta
Alzolay
In battle between Steel, Thompson and Abbott.

Then Marquez promotes. Jake drops off. Alzolay would slot between Rondon and Marquez and Hendricks slots as a #4. #5 would be the winner of the battle.

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
What has that to do with this year or going forward?

This year they have Q, Bundy, Cobb, Heaney.
all are dropping off.

So the time to reinvest is next year.

Last night they started Patrick Sandoval so they are looking into inhouse. Chris Rodriguez is their #4 rated prospect and is in the pen.

Their biggest problem is team D. Their biggest hole is SS. The OF they have Brandon Marsh and Jo Adell in AAA. Upton can be moved to DH or 1B in his final year. Pujos drops off next year.

The drop off their SS Jose Iglesias. Baez would be a strong signing . They have Rondon at 3B and Fletcher at 2B. Jerred Walsh is ok at 1B. He is more bat first.

So looking at the line up it can improve with Adell and Marsh pending. They have 2 young arms to go with a legit ace in Ohtani. I see it as smarter using Otani as a PH vs a stable DH. His focus should be pitching. The one weakness is SS and the market is ripe. Baez is most likely target #3. Some teams will aim lower as the market has 5 starting quality. Others will fight for Story. Baez I see as a solid investment for a team needing a +D SS. Not to mention Joe would push to get him.

After Baez they would need pitching. José Suarez would be a disappointment option as a 4th arm.

The market is ok. If I was them I would target Verlander and Scherzer. Let them take the pressure off of Ohtani's first year as a TOR.

As far as this year goes. Their D is a wreck and they need to improve that first. It makes the pitching worse than it is.

They are at 189M. Next year it drops to 119. With that 70M they can invest into Baez (22M) Verlander (15M) Scherzer (30M) Last 2 on 1 year deals. Baez on a term deal. It would be hiring 2 guns going for a ring.

They have wasted a decade of Trout's career. Dude is gonna be 30 years of age soon....

The best player in MLB finished 1st or 2nd in mvp voting for 7 seasons and only has one playoff appearance in <2014> to show for it <Epic Fail>.

Angels have only hit the 90 win mark just one time with Trout on the roster! Epic Fail x2!!!

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They have wasted a decade of Trout's career. Dude is gonna be 30 years of age soon....

The best player in MLB finished 1st or 2nd in mvp voting for 7 seasons and only has one playoff appearance in <2014> to show for it <Epic Fail>.

Angels have only hit the 90 win mark just one time with Trout on the roster! Epic Fail x2!!!

He is injured 6-8 weeks. They are toast.

They would be smart to promote Marsh and Addell now but they wont and sit on their timers. Which is stupid. They lack the farm system to even consider making a wave. They are better off using this season to get their youth playing. That way they will know if they go forward with them or will they use them for trades for players that don't have growing pains to deal with.

Who really cares if they wasted a decade anyways. Trout signed the deal. I doubt he crying to mommy while banking 34M per.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nico Hoerner rapped a trio of well-struck singles in Tuesday's win, while Matt Duffy connected for another single and drew a walk. That duo has helped trigger the Cubs' offensive turnaround since the tough first few weeks of this season.

"They're just a very different at-bat compared to some of the bigger sluggers on the team," said Kris Bryant, who has played at an MVP-caliber level this year. "It's nice to kind of throw a wrinkle in here or there. They've been definitely doing that."

Duffy stepped into the lineup on a routine basis on April 21 and Hoerner was recalled from the Minors a day later. Entering Tuesday, the Cubs were batting .261 with a .765 OPS (fourth best in the Majors) dating back to April 21.

A big difference -- beyond the fact that Chicago had a .189/.286/.366 slash line prior to April 21 -- has been the additional contact added to the order. In that more recent sample, Chicago had a 76.2 percent contact rate, compared to 71.4 percent prior to Duffy and Hoerner's arrival.

"It's been really good for the team just overall," Bryant said. "I just really like watching their at-bats."