Cubs Padres.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Both Flaherty and Mikolas are out long term, Kim has trouble getting 5 innings in and Martinez isn't much more than BP at this point. That leaves Wainwright who is like 40 years old and was nearly not brought back. The Cardinals are in trouble.

The Cubs can win this division.

Do they pass up the potential goodies that a Kimbrel trade would provide?

It's still pretty early on but depending how the next 6 weeks or so play out...they may have some tough decisions to make.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs should roll with it. Right now the swept the best team in the league. The Cubs played their type of game for 3. When they goto SFG and SDP they can not be co-dependant on the HR. This is where you want Duffy back to put more singles hitters in the line up to offset the big outfields.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Jed is in a tough spot. There is no way they can white flag the season at this point. The bullpen is what is carrying the team this season. Just look at the box scores. ERAs for the pen are like 0.00 for many guys. Insanity.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
06/02/21Chicago Cubs sent RF Jason Heyward on a rehab assignment to Iowa Cubs.
06/02/21Chicago Cubs activated RHP Trevor Megill.
06/02/21Chicago Cubs optioned RHP Trevor Megill to Iowa Cubs.
06/02/21Chicago Cubs sent CF Jake Marisnick on a rehab assignment to Iowa Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jed is in a tough spot. There is no way they can white flag the season at this point. The bullpen is what is carrying the team this season. Just look at the box scores. ERAs for the pen are like 0.00 for many guys. Insanity.

Jed said that he wants to be put into these situations. It means they are forcing his hand and that is a good thing.

Tom is not a evil bastard. He had to cut payroll due to 0 fans. When MLB passed the 30% fans then he opened up payroll and Jed spent on Jake, Joc and Marisnick. With payroll up to 60% and them winning and the Cards sucking wind it makes sense to be competitive in getting a TOR and to cut Stl off from one.

Cubs need a bump. Cards need a life line.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Only 13 teams in the league have a positive RD. Cubs are the only ones in the Central. The NL West and AL East have 7 of those teams. Insanity

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jed said that he wants to be put into these situations. It means they are forcing his hand and that is a good thing.

Tom is not a evil bastard. He had to cut payroll due to 0 fans. When MLB passed the 30% fans then he opened up payroll and Jed spent on Jake, Joc and Marisnick. With payroll up to 60% and them winning and the Cards sucking wind it makes sense to be competitive in getting a TOR and to cut Stl off from one.

Cubs need a bump. Cards need a life line.
There is still a lot of time to worry about that stuff.....6 or 7 weeks. BUT....if they are still in this position at that time, I still don't buy at the deadline. If the Cubs roll with what they got that means they will be losing a ton of potential assests by not moving Kimbrel. It would be stupid to make it even worse by trading what little they do have for a rental.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There is still a lot of time to worry about that stuff.....6 or 7 weeks. BUT....if they are still in this position at that time, I still don't buy at the deadline. If the Cubs roll with what they got that means they will be losing a ton of potential assests by not moving Kimbrel. It would be stupid to make it even worse by trading what little they do have for a rental.

Kimbrel has another year. That means another selling market.

I get Bryant Rizzo and Baez. Kimbrel only makes sense if they nosedive. And it could happen. This is going to be a grind. 2 off days and most teams are over .500.

The issue the Cubs have is in their starting 5. I feel good when Adbert and Kyle are on the rubber. The rest you feel like you are dodging bullets until the 6th inning.

That is why I would target a SP. There should be a few on the market. I would go big though and trade Happ and Abbott for a TOR. Going after a 2nd tier rental is stupid and why bother.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I feel happiness again. Marisnick is back. Heyward is not.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
With the off day following this series it makes sense that Kohl bumped to AAA. Mills is just about ready and has been starting at Iowa. So I expect him to be the next man up. They will need a 5th starter during the next run.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bases loaded, no outs, 1st inning. Tatis is up. And Cubs only give up 1 run. Impressive lol.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Remind me: What does Eric Sogard bring to the table?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Alzolay's control has been shit tonight

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Remind me: What does Eric Sogard bring to the table?
Him being the only healthy 2B and the only other 2B is playing SS because the SS is hurt. So...health?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Him being the only healthy 2B and the only other 2B is playing SS because the SS is hurt. So...health?
Well, I knew as I typed that was the reason he’s playing tonight but I was asking in general as well.

He was on the roster prior to injuries and there’s no clear reason why.

How soon do some of these guys - Hoerner, for example- get back?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
June 8: RHP Adbert Alzolay placed on 10-day injured list
Alzolay exited his June 7 start against the Padres in the fourth inning due to a blister on his right middle finger. Prior to leaving the game, the pitcher experienced a notable drop in velocity on his final two pitches (90.4 mph and 90.8 mph) on a night he averaged 93.6 mph on his sinker. Alzolay allowed four runs on five hits and issued five walks compared to four strikeouts in three-plus innings (82 pitches). The Cubs are optimistic Alzolay can return after the IL stint.

June 8: RHP Kohl Stewart recalled from Triple-A Iowa
Stewart came up from Triple-A on May 31 to start in place of Trevor Williams (10-day IL, appendicitis). The righty made two starts for the Cubs, posting a 3.12 ERA with seven strikeouts and three walks in 8 2/3 innings. Stewart was optioned back to Triple-A on June 7, but recalled in light of Adbert Alzolay going to the IL.