Cubs Padres.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Adbert was yanking his fastball all night. It is not shocking that he got a blister.

I keep thinking that he should add a cutter. Watching him they were sitting on the slider. And that is fine. Adding a cutter gives him a slight break and a heavy break. It is a solid pitch combo to work the left side of the plate.

For the right side he really needs to work on a change up. It makes a good pitch to work with a sinker.

Center of the plate curve and 4 seem starting high.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Adbert was yanking his fastball all night. It is not shocking that he got a blister.

I keep thinking that he should add a cutter. Watching him they were sitting on the slider. And that is fine. Adding a cutter gives him a slight break and a heavy break. It is a solid pitch combo to work the left side of the plate.

For the right side he really needs to work on a change up. It makes a good pitch to work with a sinker.

Center of the plate curve and 4 seem starting high.
I think he needs to add another pitch. He's got good stuff but with just 2 pitches I think it get tough once teams see him a few times

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think he needs to add another pitch. He's got good stuff but with just 2 pitches I think it get tough once teams see him a few times
SAN DIEGO -- The Cubs are hoping Adbert Alzolay's trip to the injured list will serve two purposes. First and foremost, it will give the pitcher time to let a nagging blister heal. It is also a chance to give the rookie a breather.
"It's not all bad news," Cubs manager David Ross said on Tuesday. "In theory, it's giving him a slight break in the action. Hopefully, he's able to get that finger taken care of and we put him right back in there. He's a really big piece for us."
Prior to Tuesday's game against the Padres, the Cubs placed Alzolay on the 10-day IL due to a blister on his right middle finger. The starter has dealt with the minor issue for two starts, but it became especially problematic during his outing in Monday's 9-4 loss at Petco Park.
Alzolay lasted just three innings, saw his velocity take a nosedive on his last two sinkers and issued a season-high five walks. The righty had five walks total in his previous six turns, during which he posted a 2.94 ERA with 35 strikeouts in 33 2/3 innings.

Alzolay said Tuesday that he was optimistic about needing only the 10 days required on the IL.
"I think that's the plan," Alzolay said. "Let that blister heal completely, because it's been bothering me for the last two outings. Let it heal so I can get back to 100 percent and get back out there and throw."
In the meantime, the Cubs recalled righty Kohl Stewart from Triple-A Iowa and activated righty Alec Mills from the 10-day IL. That gives Chicago a pair of multi-inning arms to help a tired bullpen, but it also presents two possibilities for the rotation with Alzolay out.
The Cubs have an off-day on Thursday, so it is possible to limit Alzolay's absence to one turn in the rotation. Chicago then has some flexibility for Saturday, when the Cardinals will be in Wrigley Field. Either Mills or Stewart could take that start.
If Alzolay does not encounter any setbacks, he could potentially come back on June 18 at the earliest. The pitcher did not want to go on the IL, but he also understands the possible benefit of the in-season break. Every inning Alzolay (57 2/3 innings to date) logs from here on out is a career high.

"I really wanted to keep pitching," Alzolay said. "But I feel like, yeah, being two months into the season, I will take it like a little break. I'll just keep working on my routine, keep my arm moving and my mechanics in sync, so when I come back, I can start off [strong]."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Williams on slow road back
Trevor Williams thought he was dealing with a violent reaction to food poisoning when he had "extreme" stomach pain on the night of May 29. He did not expect to wind up in a hospital undergoing an emergency appendectomy.
"We ran tests," Williams said Tuesday. "We pressed on my stomach and it was like, 'Yeah, you should probably go to the ER.' But I was just pissed. I was like, 'I don't want to go to the ER at midnight on a Saturday to get fluids. I'll just wait until the morning.'

"Our team doctor was doing what doctors do, right? Looking out for me. He was like, 'Please go to the ER. If your appendix does rupture, you're going to be in a lot more pain.' And then they ran tests and said, 'Yeah, we have to take it out right now.'
"I was like, all right, cool. Of course. In the middle of the season, right? This couldn't happen in November?"
Williams called the job Stewart did as a rotation replacement "awesome," especially under the circumstances. There is still no timetable for return, but Williams has resumed playing light catch while on the road with the team over the past six days.
Worth noting
• Javier Báez was out of the starting lineup on Tuesday for the second game in a row due to right hand soreness. With an off-day coming Thursday, Ross said he may try to avoid using the shortstop off the bench unless absolutely necessary.
"I just want to make sure it's 100 percent," said Ross, who noted that the shortstop had not resumed hitting. "That's something that, one ball in, if you pull your hands in and jam it again [it can get worse]. He still feels it a little bit."
• OF Nick Martini cleared waivers and accepted an outright assignment to Triple-A Iowa. Martini was designated for assignment by the Cubs on Saturday, when Jason Heyward returned from the 10-day IL.
Quotable
"He's like a big kid. No care in the world. He's fun. He calls me coach. He's a trip. I looked back at him in the dugout yesterday, 'What do you got, coach?' I was like, 'I've got nothing. I'm just looking back.' He goes, 'I thought you were fixin' to get me ready to pinch-hit.' I was like, 'Relax. We're in the third. I know I've got a quick trigger, but relax.'" -- Ross, on Joc Pederson

CSF77

Liked Posts:

He used his change 2 times. 5 times with his curve. Slider was by far his most frequent. Sinker and 4 filled out the rest.

I would work in with the 2 and a change. Both tail in to RH. The slider and cutter tunnel together. 1 breaks a few inches. other a foot+

So in theory he could start center in the tunnel. 2 and change break in. cutter and slider break out.

That would be his bread and butter.

The switch up would be 4 seam and curve up in the zone.

By this graph he has 5 offerings right now. You can see that he doesn't trust the change much. He was a curve ball pitcher and learned the slider last year. It has dominated his offerings. I believe that is a bad thing. Hitters will expect it.

Last edited:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Willy!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wilson

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's go Rizz!!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This Patrick Wisdom guy...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wisdom is in the plans. His throw from deep 3B was a gunshot to Rizzo. Jed better go forward with him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
“ The Cubs are optimistic he can return after the IL stint.” ????

well Jesus I would hope so!!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wisdom is in the plans. His throw from deep 3B was a gunshot to Rizzo. Jed better go forward with him.
I am happy to see him doing what he is doing, but my god if this leads to the idiotic management thinking they can let Bryant go, it’ll be a curse in disguise.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Anyone else notice the Padres catcher almost like tapping behind cubs hitters once in a while to almost try and make them think it’s coming inside? It obviously hasn’t helped much tonight, just something I’ve noticed him doing

Bust

Liked Posts:
I am happy to see him doing what he is doing, but my god if this leads to the idiotic management thinking they can let Bryant go, it’ll be a curse in disguise.
Depends on the return....

CSF77

Liked Posts:

As we have seen. David will move others off position to keep Bryant playing.

Bryant is a solid OF. He is a passable 3B.

Wisdom is a solid 3B and he wrecks baseballs.

So the first step is understanding that Bryant is a OF now. Not a 3B.

2nd step is looking at the 3 starters. 1 has a BA over .200. and it is still below .240.

For now it is a platoon in LF and Bryant swapping CF and RF. Heyward got 3 walks and Marisnick went 2 for 4.

The weakest link right now is Happ. I would trade him. Marisnick needs to get full time play.

So I would run Joc/Marisnick/Bryant. Heyward 4th OF for late inning D. When Duffy return platoon Joc and him in LF.

That is how I would deal with this year. Next year depends. Davis was hitting .321 at A+. At AA .235. So he is adjusting to the talent there still. I would expect another month to catch up to the talent. At that point it would be the ASG. Iowa lacks any players with impact talent right now. I could see Davis pushed again to finish up in Iowa. Then play Apr-May there in 2022. First major injury call him up and let him dictate what they do.
Wisdom and Duffy have shown us that David will reward production.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sogard stinks.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sogard stinks.
There are people on this board that like his "professional ABs".

His "professional ABs" have produced a .240 lifetime BA.

He has a mediocre glove and arm.

You are correct.

Sogard stinks.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers