Hicks trade talk is back

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Hicks was a top 5 interior disruptor 3 years ago.
His play has declined and he has missed numerous games over the the last couple of years.
He will be 32 mid season so its difficult to imagine that any team would want to take on his 10.5mil cap hit this year.
It would be better to get something, but yeah, not a lot of GMs will sign a guy like Robert Quinn - that's just something Ponzi Scheme Pace would do.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Pace and the seven year rebuild.

I wonder if he'll win a playoff game in year 9 or 10?
I guess my thing is, if pace is around wtf do you want? Yes he's made a lot of poor decisions and shouldn't still be here, but at this point shouldn't you hope he learns from his mistakes? Shouldn't you prefer he doesn't sell out the future more to win now and is also making moves that help in the future. To me it seems everytime a move is made you instantly look to past moves. It seems counterproductive

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I guess my thing is, if pace is around wtf do you want? Yes he's made a lot of poor decisions and shouldn't still be here, but at this point shouldn't you hope he learns from his mistakes? Shouldn't you prefer he doesn't sell out the future more to win now and is also making moves that help in the future. To me it seems everytime a move is made you instantly look to past moves. It seems counterproductive

I give credit to Pace for admitting his mistakes, I have no evidence that he's learning from his mistakes.

Rob Peter, pay Paul - this is what he does.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace and the seven year rebuild.

I wonder if he'll win a playoff game in year 9 or 10?
The Bears org believes in Pace...at this point no one seriously should think the Bears will win the Superbowl this year. Pace should not try to mortgage anything for this year...its not happening....regardless of what happened in the past.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
The Bears org believes in Pace...at this point no one seriously should think the Bears will win the Superbowl this year. Pace should not try to mortgage anything for this year...its not happening....regardless of what happened in the past.
Not expecting a SB.

Just thought we'd have more than a "meh roster" 7 years in.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Also, just remember the Bears fan mantra around 2015: "Building the team the right way...thru the draft."

What happened to the benefit of "cheap talent on rookie contracts." <---That was the way to go according to a lot of posters here. While excusing Pace, ppl have gotten away from their tenets.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears are considering trading Hicks because they are planning for next year forward....as I've said and they are correct to do so.
Obviously, Hicks makes the Bears better in 2021.

But, if they can add 10 million in cap space and even a late day 3 pick that is what is best for 2022.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also, just remember the Bears fan mantra around 2015: "Building the team the right way...thru the draft."

What happened to the benefit of "cheap talent on rookie contracts." <---That was the way to go according to a lot of posters here. While excusing Pace, ppl have gotten away from their tenets.
We haven't drafted that bad.

We just never have any picks, the Bears have had the 3rd lowest amount of draft picks in the last 5 years. Next year they have 5 picks.

That leaves you having to over pay someone like Gipson.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The beginning and end of this and really any football team is the QB. If Mahomes is on this roster they are a Super Bowl contender.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
the Bears have had the 3rd lowest amount of draft picks in the last 5 years. Next year they have 5 picks.
yikes-gif-1.gif

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I give credit to Pace for admitting his mistakes, I have no evidence that he's learning from his mistakes.

Rob Peter, pay Paul - this is what he does.

Yeah but have you met Peter?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
When Pace was hired did he talk about building through the draft? I feel like I vaguely remember that. He certainly loves trading away picks. He likes trading picks to move up for guys he likes. He seems to prefer smaller draft classes of guys he likes as opposed to just making 10 draft picks and hoping 5 pan out like some teams do. A strategy that can work, but you have to hit on those guys. He's had a mixed bag of results doing this I'd say. Some good, some bad.

Hopefully now that the QB position is settled for awhile, he can leverage that into acquiring draft capital in future drafts. Not having to constantly think about moving up in the draft for a Qb will be a nice change of Pace.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Man, this one is tough. The Bears defense just plays better when Hicks is in the game.

But, I do understand the concerns about injuries, a bit of decline, and the cap ramifications. Even with all that said, I find it hard to believe it's worthwhile to trade Hicks for like a 6th or 7th rounder vs what he brings to your team for 2021. However, if they can somehow get a 5th or pipe dream a 4th, then you are actually getting into the draft range where it may make sense for what it means to your future.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
When Pace was hired did he talk about building through the draft? I feel like I vaguely remember that. He certainly loves trading away picks. He likes trading picks to move up for guys he likes. He seems to prefer smaller draft classes of guys he likes as opposed to just making 10 draft picks and hoping 5 pan out like some teams do. A strategy that can work, but you have to hit on those guys. He's had a mixed bag of results doing this I'd say. Some good, some bad.

Hopefully now that the QB position is settled for awhile, he can leverage that into acquiring draft capital in future drafts. Not having to constantly think about moving up in the draft for a Qb will be a nice change of Pace.
You have a good outlook, it's sensible.

Ppl think that the QB position is settled and we can focus on drafting for the aging defense.

But I'll just throw out a quick example...

If Jenkins cannot play LT...we have to do something next year with no 1st round pick. And if we cannot keep ARob...now we've got to get LT and WR, so we cannot use top picks on defense...they have to wait for 4th or lower.

I'm not being doomsday. These are legit concerns.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
With his age, salary and with so many team short on cap space I cant imagine the Bears get much for him. Rather keep him and let him walk for nothing at the end of the season.

Without Hicks Bears might be 5-11 next season.
Hardly. He's not that important imo.

Trading Hicks would also allows a Robinson extension.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Goldman coming back? Whats his contract status.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We haven't drafted that bad.

We just never have any picks, the Bears have had the 3rd lowest amount of draft picks in the last 5 years. Next year they have 5 picks.

That leaves you having to over pay someone like Gipson.
So if we had had more picks, but hit on a lesser percentage of them, that would be acceptable?