Hicks trade talk is back

Liked Posts:
the defense still has the talent to be a top ten unit. perhaps better if the offense could ever stay on the field long enough to give them some rest. and a healthy hicks is still a force in the middle that opposing teams have to account for. sean payton said (before the playoff game last season) he has a whole different play sheet for when hicks is in the game because some just wont work due to hicks dominance.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
the defense still has the talent to be a top ten unit. perhaps better if the offense could ever stay on the field long enough to give them some rest. and a healthy hicks is still a force in the middle that opposing teams have to account for. sean payton said (before the playoff game last season) he has a whole different play sheet for when hicks is in the game because some just wont work due to hicks dominance.
But are we trying to truly compete in 2021?

If not the cap space rolled forward into 2022 would be a big benefit when we are more locked and loaded to compete.

It is a tough call.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

If not the cap space rolled forward into 2022 would be a big benefit when we are more locked and loaded to compete.

It is a tough call.
Wouldn’t you say every team is trying to compete? Especially this time of the new football year.

Liked Posts:

It is a tough call.

i think it depends on the offensive line. if it comes together and jenkins can be a serviceable left tackle it seems the offense can be much improved with a viable running game. with a healthy daniels, the interior 3 is better than average. jenkins moves people in the run game. if the team has a legit run game then they are a playoff contender and fields presents an upgrade at the QB position.

if it looks like in training camp or pre season that the line wont be improved go ahead and deal hicks and plan for the future.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wouldn’t you say every team is trying to compete? Especially this time of the new football year.
Publicly sure.

Internally they can very easily be thinking that 2022 sets up better for them to truly make some moves to compete.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Publicly sure.

Internally they can very easily be thinking that 2022 sets up better for them to truly make some moves to compete.
I get that but I don’t think there is any organization internally saying they can’t compete at this stage of the season. If they want to trade Hicks for 2022 cap reasons that’s fine, but it’s not because they think they can’t compete this year.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You have a good outlook, it's sensible.

Ppl think that the QB position is settled and we can focus on drafting for the aging defense.

But I'll just throw out a quick example...

If Jenkins cannot play LT...we have to do something next year with no 1st round pick. And if we cannot keep ARob...now we've got to get LT and WR, so we cannot use top picks on defense...they have to wait for 4th or lower.

I'm not being doomsday. These are legit concerns.
If Jenkins can play LT at a level better than Leno and shows that he has upside. And if we can keep Arob ... and some of the drafted and undrafted can make an impact ... and some of the players can take a step forward ... and Fields can show enough early that the Bears are able to trade Andy Dalton to a good team with an injured QB or a bad team like the Jets before the trade deadline ... and Pace can use the 2022 draft as a restock draft (trading down and using his later round draft magic) ...

I am being a Pollyanna, but there was a point to it.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Damn I do love Hicks, he is a classic kind of player and really fits the attitude we want on our defense.

But, like with Fuller, I totally get that hard decisions have to be made when the cap went down due to the pandemic. It sucks but that is the business side of the game.

If he is gone, I hope he goes to a contender. Fuller took a one year deal to play with the coach that got the most out of him, and could feasibly find a better team next year to pay him the big bucks. It won't be the same for Hicks. He'd be a monster for Tennessee...
Who would have a bigger impact: Hicks or Graham?

Hicks makes the whole defense better.

Graham used to be a speedy mismatch as a TE. He no longer is and is mostly a red zone threat.

Who is harder to replace?

There are not a lot of big men who can move like Hicks.

So Graham without his speed mismatch is now basically a rebounding threat in a limited area of the field.

I would get rid of Graham before Hicks and replace him with some tall athlete. I would see if Snowden could catch the ball or if there were some other player on the team with a power forward background. Or I would look for a ton of undrafted big guys with a power forward background.

Would it be ideal?

No, but I am sure that it would be a lot easier to find someone who has close to what Graham brings to the table now than it would be to find someone who could bring to the table close to what Hicks brings.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I get that but I don’t think there is any organization internally saying they can’t compete at this stage of the season. If they want to trade Hicks for 2022 cap reasons that’s fine, but it’s not because they think they can’t compete this year.
This is where the Rodgers thing king of screws the Bears.

If Rodgers is legit gone... I would keep Hicks and make a run at the division in 2021.

If Rodgers is in GB... I would probably move Hicks and push the money to 2022.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
This is where the Rodgers thing king of screws the Bears.

If Rodgers is legit gone... I would keep Hicks and make a run at the division in 2021.

If Rodgers is in GB... I would probably move Hicks and push the money to 2022.
A player from a different team should not determine this move. If the Bears get a good offer from a trade partner, than sure.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hicks isn’t that good anymore. Two years ago , sure.
Let me rephrase that, I think he’d be Great rotationally. at this stage in his career his days of starting 16, now 17 games a year are over and bagging a dominant player.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
It fundamentally changes whether I think I can win the division.
I won’t argue that, but you can’t wait on Rodgers to see what you are going to do with your own player. Like I mentioned earlier, I’m sure everyone in that building thinks they can win the division this year with or without the Packers having Rodgers.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not ready to give up on Hicks yet. As someone said earlier, the defense is just better when he's playing. Actually it's better when he and Goldman playing, which will happen for the first time in probably a season and a half. I'm kinda anxious to see the band back together for one last tour.