Jamie Newman waived

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
For all the talk of Newman potentially being a mid round pick, he was already waived by Philly.

I know nothing about him other than it doesn't appear he ever lived up to his hype. Most teams generally have a developmental qb though. Everyone seems to think he has arm talent, maybe he could go on the practice squad for a couple years and work with Flip and learn under fields and whoever the backup is. If they could develop him at all maybe you could flip him for a decent pick in a couple years.

Definitely extremely wishful thinking, but until they have another developmental option it is low risk

bring him in

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Looking at the Fields / Georgia thing way after the fact all I could find were a bunch of articles about how Fromm was “like a coach on the field” and that his intelligence and comfort within the system were the separating factors between him and Fields.

It’s fishy though, because Fields apparently picked up the Ohio offense in six practices.

Someone on here made a post basically suggesting that Fromm’s family paid the program to keep him in the starting role.

@bamainatlanta
Did you hear anything like that?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Looking at the Fields / Georgia thing way after the fact all I could find were a bunch of articles about how Fromm was “like a coach on the field” and that his intelligence and comfort within the system were the separating factors between him and Fields.

It’s fishy though, because Fields apparently picked up the Ohio offense in six practices.

Someone on here made a post basically suggesting that Fromm’s family paid the program to keep him in the starting role.

@bamainatlanta

No. Georgia has a shit ton of boosters that make a lot of money, Home Depot/Delta/UPS/oil barons/liquor distributors. I hardly doubt Fromm's family withholding money from UGa would make a dent. But I could be wrong

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:

@bamainatlanta
No way Kirby Smart would go along with that.

Canth

Liked Posts:

@bamainatlanta

Yeah, I tried looking at some old stuff too. As near as I could tell, Fields was not really given much of a chance to win the job and that was likely not what he was told during recruiting. Fromm was the safe pick as he was already there and they had just nearly won it all with him as the qb. I read a couple of articles that suggested that Fields was told/thought he would be splitting reps and snaps in games more with Fromm for 1-2 years before getting a year to himself once Fromm left. That didn't happen - I read one article that said Fromm was getting 85% of the 1st team reps the entire time, so Fields moved on. And to be clear, I am not saying it was wrong for Georgia to stick with their starter from the previous year. I just think all coaches lie in recruiting to do whatever it takes to land a guy.

Quite honestly, anyone should understand Fields position. He was trying to stay on a timeline to get to the NFL as a top pick as quick as he could. Georgia was no longer going to give him that timeline, so he moved on. Essentially, it was a business decision, and it was a smart business decision at that. In addition, the Ryan Day Ohio State offense was also better suited for his skillset and using his talent than what they do at Georgia.

It was also a business decision to use any avenue they could to get relief for him to play immediately on the transfer. I think the NCAA is finally getting rid of that ridiculous rule that players have to sit anyway. I have always hated that sit out a year rule for players. They never made coaches sit a year if they left a program high and dry and they never should have limited the players. I will have zero sympathy for coaches and programs that start losing players left and right after they lie to the kid about realistic opportunities and playing time.

I also didn't see anything that suggested that Fields was not liked by his teammates. I did read one post that suggested when Fromm struggled a bit that some of the skill position players wanted Fields but nothing really negative from the rest. And then, there was some talk that there was a bit of a divided locker room for the bowl game after it was known he was transferring - basically, not everyone was happy that Fields and another guy were allowed to still be with the team after announcing they were leaving (Fields to transfer, the other guy was sitting out due to entering the NFL draft). The follow on to that was that UGa doesn't allow any guys to be in the locker room now if they announce they are leaving or are sitting out to avoid injury as they are looking to enter the draft.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
You cant sit out a year as a QB who needed the snaps and think you can just go to the NFL and ball. He had talent but he had no business leaving college and should not have sat out.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Way too much being made of Fromm/Fields. You don't bench the SEC Freshman of the Year, Freshman All American, NC runner up as a freshman QB for anyone.

How would that be justified?

It would send the wrong message to the players and would be indefensible after the first Justin Fields mediocre to stinker game.

Even if Fields was demonstrably better in practice, it's just that, practice. Fromm had played at an elite level as a freshman and until he showed otherwise on the field Kirby couldn't bench him.

UGA would have ultimately been better with Fields but Fromm earned his position and never did anything to warrant losing it.
After Fromm played well as a freshman there is a comfort level between coach and known quantity QB. It was true at UF with Mullen and Feleipe Franks / Kyle Trask, and wish we could have seen more than a year at UNC with Marquise Williams / Mitch Trubisky.

I am sure they knew Fields was a better long term prospect, but the situation was what it was.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
R&S says Fields can't be any good because Fromm started ahead of him. Or was that Mitch and somebody else? I can't remember.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
R&S says Fields can't be any good because Fromm started ahead of him. Or was that Mitch and somebody else? I can't remember.

What? IF this is focused toward me.....show the exact quote where I said " Fields can't be any good because Fromm started ahead of him. " And I'll address it.

Or was that Mitch and somebody else? I can't remember.

Don't say things ya can't remember and can't back up. It makes u sound drunk. Note I said sound drunk.

But please respond with the exact quote and u know I'll deal with it?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Smartest thing you've said in a while.

" I don't understand gags. "? Forgery
Now you're forging me into quotes. ( I never said what u forged). And if you aren't being serious....let it be known in your comments. Stop being sneaky :sneaky:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
" I don't understand gags. "? Forgery
Now you're forging me into quotes. ( I never said what u forged). And if you aren't being serious....let it be known in your comments. Stop being sneaky :sneaky:
Only an idiot would think that sneaky as opposed to an obvious gag. I guarantee you that everybody else got it.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Only an idiot would think that sneaky as opposed to an obvious gag. I guarantee you that everybody else got it.

put it green next time. cuz a lotta times u end up missing the mark, obvious back handed, spin remarks, twisting and or playing red herring tactics

However......
your so called "obvious gag"....was a lie and misrepresentation twisted by u to mean "gag". :rolleyes:
Plus your Fields-Mitch so called "gag" has nothing to do with the Newman thread

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You never disappoint. :beer: