hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Tampa's very fortunate to be a great team in an era of pretenders. You could stick a fork in the Hawks years ago,the Pens and Bruins both got old,the Caps fired their cup winning coach,the Blues were one hit wonders,Vegas may have fired the right HC too and the Isle and Panthers were both missing one of their best players...........Lee and Ekblad are both big,rugged game changing type of players.
The Canes are regular season wonders and the Avs are phonies and like the Leafs and Oilers.....filled with underachieving, millennials who were made insanely wealthy before they achieved anything.

Cooper's coached an all-star team for the last 7 or 8 years with only one 'bubble cup' against a weak sister to show for it and now he goes up against a team who was three over in the finals........it'll be the cheapest of repeats IMO.
Let’s not forget the Lightning are like 18million over the cap. Kucherov sitting the season allowed them to keep there team together. I know Chicago did the same with Kane, but it’s ridiculous Tampa can ice a team as such in the cap era. Bryadon Points contract in coming up, so let’s say what happens.
Bob it pisses me off, imagine the Hawks never had to unload like they did, no doubt they would’ve 3 peat or even 4, they were that good. The lightning are just a team taking advantage of the situation, Carolina was right when they said they lost to team 20 million over the cap, while other teams had to shed money. Circumventing the cap is bullshit, one player sure but, we are talking 3 -4 players in Tampa, no doubt, Killorn,Johnson. Palat and Maroon are not on that team and possibly another. That team would look completely different without there work horses.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Tampa's very fortunate to be a great team in an era of pretenders. You could stick a fork in the Hawks years ago,the Pens and Bruins both got old,the Caps fired their cup winning coach,the Blues were one hit wonders,Vegas may have fired the right HC too and the Isle and Panthers were both missing one of their best players...........Lee and Ekblad are both big,rugged game changing type of players.
The Canes are regular season wonders and the Avs are phonies and like the Leafs and Oilers.....filled with underachieving, millennials who were made insanely wealthy before they achieved anything.

Cooper's coached an all-star team for the last 7 or 8 years with only one 'bubble cup' against a weak sister to show for it and now he goes up against a team who was three over in the finals........it'll be the cheapest of repeats IMO.

I like this topic, Bob -- I agree for the most part. I like the idea of trying to identify a team as real or pretender. Honestly, I've always felt like the Canes were pretenders, even including this year. Some teams just aren't made for the playoffs and they were one of them. Also, I'd add the Kings to your list of teams that have gotten old.

People lament about losing guys like TT and Leddy, but I still don't really miss them because, although they've improved, they're not guys you can solely rely on in the playoffs. I thought Leddy had a terrible game when the Isles were eliminated. I mean, they're good enough, but would TT really make the Blackhawks (of last year) exponentially better? I have my doubts. Same with Leddy. I just think they are players who will always need to be on extremely deep teams in order to be good, which is how they always were (i.e. when they were here).

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like this topic, Bob -- I agree for the most part. I like the idea of trying to identify a team as real or pretender. Honestly, I've always felt like the Canes were pretenders, even including this year. Some teams just aren't made for the playoffs and they were one of them. Also, I'd add the Kings to your list of teams that have gotten old.

People lament about losing guys like TT and Leddy, but I still don't really miss them because, although they've improved, they're not guys you can solely rely on in the playoffs. I thought Leddy had a terrible game when the Isles were eliminated. I mean, they're good enough, but would TT really make the Blackhawks (of last year) exponentially better? I have my doubts. Same with Leddy. I just think they are players who will always need to be on extremely deep teams in order to be good, which is how they always were (i.e. when they were here).

Gus is another good example of this. Too bad they waited a year too long to trade him, could have gotten a lot more for him after the great year he had.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let’s not forget the Lightning are like 18million over the cap. Kucherov sitting the season allowed them to keep there team together. I know Chicago did the same with Kane, but it’s ridiculous Tampa can ice a team as such in the cap era. Bryadon Points contract in coming up, so let’s say what happens.
Bob it pisses me off, imagine the Hawks never had to unload like they did, no doubt they would’ve 3 peat or even 4, they were that good. The lightning are just a team taking advantage of the situation, Carolina was right when they said they lost to team 20 million over the cap, while other teams had to shed money. Circumventing the cap is bullshit, one player sure but, we are talking 3 -4 players in Tampa, no doubt, Killorn,Johnson. Palat and Maroon are not on that team and possibly another. That team would look completely different without there work horses.
In today's NHL, having a great capologist far more important than people think. Teams learned from what happened to the Blackhawks after 2010.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

Anders Lee was a big lose for the Isles however, he is like Toews to us, he may have been the key factor in the Islanders beating that powerhouse in Tampa.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Price allows another softy.

Price is 33 years of age and will have a cap hit of 10.5 million up to his 38th birthday, ouch

Last edited by a moderator:

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Anders Lee was a big lose for the Isles however, he is like Toews to us, he may have been the key factor in the Islanders beating that powerhouse in Tampa.
The Isle lost game seven 1-0 without their best offensive player,Tampa's more of a fortunate team than they are a dynasty IMO. They beat a weak sister last year that couldn't even make the PO's this year,they won a tough series against Fla without their best D-man and PK'er and now they face a team that finished three over without their HC.....very fortunate.....very good too though. 20 million over the cap helps too.....LOL!!!!

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Looks like Toews will be back. If he is still reasonably close to his former self, it would answer a lot of questions at the center position....to say nothing of the help provided on both the PP, PK and most imporantly at the faceoff circle. Will Bowman keep trying to get this team younger or will he sell out to try to win one more time?

I'm Baaaaack.....

Granada

Liked Posts:
Looks like Toews will be back. If he is still reasonably close to his former self, it would answer a lot of questions at the center position....to say nothing of the help provided on both the PP, PK and most imporantly at the faceoff circle. Will Bowman keep trying to get this team younger or will he sell out to try to win one more time?

I'm Baaaaack.....

I don't have much faith in Stan, but even he needs to know that this team is far from ever winning again -- I don't think he'll be trying to create a Cup contender. But he might try to add some new pieces to build around. Now, will he be successful in obtaining those pieces? I doubt it.

I mentioned Hammer in the other thread as somewhat of a joke, but honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Bowman re-signs him. Retreads are his m.o.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I don't have much faith in Stan, but even he needs to know that this team is far from ever winning again -- I don't think he'll be trying to create a Cup contender. But he might try to add some new pieces to build around. Now, will he be successful in obtaining those pieces? I doubt it.

I mentioned Hammer in the other thread as somewhat of a joke, but honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Bowman re-signs him. Retreads are his m.o.
would not surprise me one bit.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils