I sorta feel like a hard salary cap would benefit the players and baseball as a whole

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
New CBA is coming and this seems like as good a time as any to talk about this. Conventional wisdom would be players wanna make as much as they can and a cap limits that. However, I think that's being short sighted. The past few years what we've seen is teams just entirely punting seasons leaving only a hand full of teams actively shopping for FAs. What I see in the current MLB is a large disparity between teams that are competitive and teams that aren't more so then in previous decades. A lot of teams can't compete with the top end FA spenders and the current system rewards teams more for being worse. So it's only logical that teams tank.

I feel like if you limit the top end teams can spend that creates incentive for more middling teams to think they have a chance. Obviously they need to figure something out to fix the fact that being a middling team actively hurts you but I really feel like it's unhealthy for the game to have some teams spending 2-3x what other teams do.

It also would make teams have to make more difficult decisions on their own players. You look at the NFL and every year there are interesting players that have to get cut or cap reasons and those players find their way to new teams which can shake up a lot of stuff.

IDK, i'm just hoping we actually see a salary cap.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
New CBA is coming and this seems like as good a time as any to talk about this. Conventional wisdom would be players wanna make as much as they can and a cap limits that. However, I think that's being short sighted. The past few years what we've seen is teams just entirely punting seasons leaving only a hand full of teams actively shopping for FAs. What I see in the current MLB is a large disparity between teams that are competitive and teams that aren't more so then in previous decades. A lot of teams can't compete with the top end FA spenders and the current system rewards teams more for being worse. So it's only logical that teams tank.

I feel like if you limit the top end teams can spend that creates incentive for more middling teams to think they have a chance. Obviously they need to figure something out to fix the fact that being a middling team actively hurts you but I really feel like it's unhealthy for the game to have some teams spending 2-3x what other teams do.

It also would make teams have to make more difficult decisions on their own players. You look at the NFL and every year there are interesting players that have to get cut or cap reasons and those players find their way to new teams which can shake up a lot of stuff.

IDK, i'm just hoping we actually see a salary cap.
Couldn't they implement a spending floor as well? I'm sure A's, TB, Pitt, KC and teams like that would be adamant they wouldn't want that, but I like it. Not sure how realistic it is

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If any sport needed one, it's MLB. But I don't see anything that could be bartered by the owners to make that happen. The players simply won't go for it. It's a world of greed.

Advertising money via TV contracts and more will only go so far and it's not just a generational cost of doing business anymore.....I have no idea when this will happen, but at some point it will all blow up and MLB will be forced to start over.
It has to happen as they are pricing the fans out of the equation.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I think paying any player 40 million a year is insanity, and folly at best. Owners should hold out for fiscal sanity or they will drive themselves into the ground financially. For god sakes, they might end up being forced to eat domestic foie gras, instead of the really good French stuff.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I think paying any player 40 million a year is insanity, and folly at best. Owners should hold out for fiscal sanity or they will drive themselves into the ground financially. For god sakes, they might end up being forced to eat domestic foie gras, instead of the really good French stuff.

I mean any player that commands 40 mil a year is also bringing the owner millions upon millions in revenue from asses in the seats, to merch, and even concession sales get impacted by said player. So really, if anything…look at it as an investment that yields hell of a good return. It’s just most people don’t have 40 mil to invest to even comprehend such a decision, thus it seems absurd to them

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Couldn't they implement a spending floor as well? I'm sure A's, TB, Pitt, KC and teams like that would be adamant they wouldn't want that, but I like it. Not sure how realistic it is

this. It would help the competitive balance more than a salary cap would. If you can’t afford to spend at least a certain amount on payroll, you probably shouldn’t be owning a major league sports team. Cheap ownership is the biggest problem in baseball

criticize those that spend money and go for it most years?! I thought this was ‘Merica?!

Last edited:

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Yep. I’d much prefer the NFL model. Hard caps (based on % of Revenue) and floors.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'd imagine that would be a requirement to an extent as well... but i just look at the NFL and that's not really a concern for them. I think a lot of smaller market owners might be willing to shell out a few million more a year in a more level landscape. But i mean what's $5-10 mil when you're $100 mil behind a team in your division?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There should be a revenue share. A league min and a league max.

Say 100 min 200 max.

A team can get revenue sharing for a limited time.

1. To get into a new venue.
2. League size reduction.

There is a real issue where teams like the Ray's and A's can go to the play offs with no payroll then they shit can every pending F/A.

It is bad for the game.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If a berg like Greenbay can support a football team there is no excuse for larger cities.

Pathetic.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But looking into the next 100 years.

A vision would be a world league and divisions would be contental.

Hong kong, Beijing Tokyo, London, Paris Mexico City and so on. Make it a world sport.

That way it goes beyond city pride into National pride.

Opens up new revenues and shuts down small market teams.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I agree 100%. They need a cap but nothing like the bullshit one in basketball

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree 100%. They need a cap but nothing like the bullshit one in basketball

Removing small markets will solve most issues. Then really looking at ownership trends.

If they are just there for profit and fail to push a team that competes force them out.

I get phases. I don't get tanking year after year.