Duncan Keith traded to Edmonton

Granada

Liked Posts:
The Hawks had no leverage here. It was a complete fuck up on the Oilers part

Again, disagree. The Oilers had a huge need on their back end and a gaping hole defensively. They have the offense obviously but their defense is by far their most desperate issue right now. There's a major reason why they were bounced -- twice, in the first round -- by weak opponents, including the Blackhawks themselves.

Also, they were not going to get another top-4 D-man with such a small price and term as Keith. With Keith, they might even be able to add another D-man.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Hawks had no leverage here. It was a complete fuck up on the Oilers part
Do you really consider a team that's unable to win a single PO game giving up a 3rd and a C grade prospect for great veteran leadership is fucking up?
Seattle woulda took Keith and his contract so that wasn't really an issue,the Oil got a player who might make a difference.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Do you really consider a team that's unable to win a single PO game giving up a 3rd and a C grade prospect for great veteran leadership is fucking up?
Seattle woulda took Keith and his contract so that wasn't really an issue,the Oil got a player who might make a difference.

Exactly right. Context matters here.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lol, DK isnt getting that dumpster fire roster a series victory

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
From what I understand, Keith is divorced. He may have total custody of his son and really needs to home more to raise him. Isn't it possible that the Hawks aren't doing a cash dump at all but simply responding to a request from a franchise player that has done a ton for the Chicago Blackhawks over the years. Sure....I know, I know....pro sports is business first but once in a while things like this happen. I have no actual proof....just a gut feeling.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Good trade for Keith and the Hawks. Stan took advantage of Holland who just loves veterans that can't play at a high level anymore. Stan clears cap and gets a young defender that is suited for the 3rd pair. Keith gets to be closer to his son as his career winds down, and he gets to play on a better team on paper at least. Edmonton is desperate to even get out of the 1st round so Holland must think a veteran presence with 3 Cups on his resume is worth the risk.

The question is what does Stan do now with all this cap space (Keith, Shaw, and Seabrook all gone now). Hawks can possible shed even more cap depending on how the expansion draft unfolds (CDH perhaps?). My gut feeling is that Toews plans to play, but I could see his condition flaring up again so really he is a big question mark.

I'm firmly in the camp that the best move is to take on expiring contracts from contenders and bleed them for picks and prospects. Vegas needs to clear cap and MAF is an expiring deal. If you can get a 1st or one of their better prospects, why not? Tyler Johnson in Tampa is another option, but the Lightning would need to pay through the nose since he is signed for 3 more years at 5.5 per. Essentially it would be 1 more year of Keith but perhaps you can get a 1st and one of their better prospects in the process. If you acquire Johnson, I would deal Strome so really you are only adding 2 million in cap. The Hawks are in a full rebuild no matter what Stan says (GM speak) so they need to keep stacking assets and plan for 3-4 years down the road.
I don't like that Jones is essentially only a 1 year player if they can't resign him now for a reasonable price. If he has a big year Stan is going to throw money at him with a lot of years to make himself look smart.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
It was a reasonably fair trade for both teams.

The real and only pertinent issue with the state of the franchise is than Stan the Lesser is, at best, a slightly below average GM. He is not the guy to take us from these depths back to a Cup contender, and we are screwed as long as he is running the show.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again, disagree. The Oilers had a huge need on their back end and a gaping hole defensively. They have the offense obviously but their defense is by far their most desperate issue right now. There's a major reason why they were bounced -- twice, in the first round -- by weak opponents, including the Blackhawks themselves.

Also, they were not going to get another top-4 D-man with such a small price and term as Keith. With Keith, they might even be able to add another D-man.
I agree completely. He's a dream fit for them and any team would want to have his leadership and experience.

They will look up to him and trust him by the time playoffs come, and in that locker room he can speak as a player who has done it, knows what they have to do, and how to inspire each of them to do it.

They have all been physically targeted in the playoffs...but now the Oilers have someone who came out the other side of that.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Why would you do that when you can just wait a year when Jones would be a UFA? It’s not like adding Jones now is going to move the needle much. The Hawks will be one of the youngest teams in the league. They will only get back into the hunt by grooming their own draft picks not signing UFAs to max contracts.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So Bowman actually fleeced another team? Im going to go play the lottery today!
VVV
Keeping absolutely nothing of his contract and getting a 3rd rounder is a fleecing. Also, Caleb is just a throw-in to possibly make a trade for Seth Jones more appealing for Seth? Just a thought.
Disagree. Fleecing is when a trade is as lopsided as Penn and Teller on a seesaw, so in my opinion a trade that is mutually good for both teams isn't a fleecing.

Sharp for Ellison...that was a fleecing.

In my opinion this might be a mutually beneficial trade. Unlike McJesus and Draisaitl, Keith knows how to win--kinda like Madden for us in 2010. Keith can be a key peice of leadership which could help make the Oil's stars take the next step. Plus if Keith isn't run roughshod night-in/night-out he's a good defender. Unfortunately our Bencounter-in-chief and his sphicnter boy did absolutely nothing to try to mitigate the aging of the cup-winning core, so Keith was ground into the ground...hard. If Edmonton manages his icetime he should be more than a barely servicable player.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would personally drive El Gato and Mitchell to the airport IF they can pre-negotiate an extension with Big Bro.
Seriously? I wouldn't trade D-Cat straight up for Jones even if he agreed to sign a re-do around 8M and I like Jones.
D-Cat was 3rd in goal scoring last year @23 with dubious linemates,put this kid with a top center and a good power forward and 50 goal campaigns could easily follow.
Move Alex DeBrincat and watch him score 500 goals with another team?
Combine his all around play,much improved passing,much improved defensive play to the point of solid penalty killing and the only factor with him is he shoulda been extended for much longer.
How many forwards with his offensive abilities kill penalties?

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Seriously? I wouldn't trade D-Cat straight up for Jones even if he agreed to sign a re-do around 8M and I like Jones.
D-Cat was 3rd in goal scoring last year @23 with dubious linemates,put this kid with a top center and a good power forward and 50 goal campaigns could easily follow.
Combine his all around play,much improved passing,much improved defensive play to the point of solid penalty killing and the only factor with him is he shoulda been extended for much longer.

Agree to disagree.

A true #1 Dman >>>>>>>>> A talented but undersized sniper/finisher.

P.S. - Having El Gato kill penalties is not a testament to his prowess, it's a damning representation of the current bottom-dwellers knows as the Blackhawks.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I tend to agree. He reminds me of a shorter version of Steve Larmer. I've seen very few Hawk players that are great at one-timers....Larmer was the best and Panarin was a close second. You can put D-Cat in that picture, too.

Plus opening a hole to fill another is counter productive.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The key for me would be us getting his brother signed long term in the next 14 months. That would be Keith’s actual replacement.
Until we have a new #1 the hockey part of franchise is hopeless.

I think we would be a Lankinen injury away from being 2020 red wings bad as roster is built today.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
The key for me would be us getting his brother signed long term in the next 14 months. That would be Keith’s actual replacement.
Until we have a new #1 the hockey part of franchise is hopeless.

Agreed, even tho moving El Gato creates a hole, we don't have a single top-4 Dman. We don't even have a very good #5/#6. A sniper wing is a luxury, but competent Dmen are an essential building block.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
For a long term true number 1 D, I would trade anyone but Kane right now. Because you'll need Kane to train the replacement, like he did with breadman, el gato, and whoever is next.