Beast Mode
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Houston Cougars
Sorry if this has been posted before. I'm not on here much, thought we all need a reminder how hard it is to play QB... kind of glad we're protecting Fields and have experience start now.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good accurate vid. States some of the same things I have about Dalton.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Good accurate vid. States some of the same things I have about Dalton.
Having seen this video before I understand that while Dalton is not a horrible option, just that Fields is the better option in my opinion. Now that camp has opened I think Fields will make it tough on Nagy to not alter his plan.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Having seen this video before I understand that while Dalton is not a horrible option, just that Fields is the better option in my opinion. Now that camp has opened I think Fields will make it tough on Nagy to not alter his plan.
Currently, we don’t know if Fields is the better option, but like you mentioned, let’s hope Fields gives Dalton some competition. Fields is the future, but he has to show he’s ready before he can play.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Currently, we don’t know if Fields is the better option, but like you mentioned, let’s hope Fields gives Dalton some competition. Fields is the future, but he has to show he’s ready before he can play.
For sure Fields has to show he is ready to play, but the talent gap between Dalton and Fields is huge. From the neck up I have little to no doubt that Fields will be ready asap and put a ton of pressure on Nagy to alter his plan early.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hope that's the case but I don't have issue with Dalton starting the year for a couple reasons. My concern is that Nagy is too stubborn to adjust his plan if Fields proves to further along than he has any right to be.

It's a catch 22. If the line proves viable, Dalton should also be but if it's not, Fields would clearly do better early but at the same time not be able to stay in the O and progress as quickly as hoped.

From wiki:
Dalton is one of ten quarterbacks in NFL history to have thrown for over 3,000 yards in each of his first three seasons and one of only six to throw at least 20 touchdowns over the same span.

He was the 35th pick. He's plenty aggressive and competent enough but if he gets pressured, he will try and make something happen and fail.

Last edited:

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
For sure Fields has to show he is ready to play, but the talent gap between Dalton and Fields is huge. From the neck up I have little to no doubt that Fields will be ready asap and put a ton of pressure on Nagy to alter his plan early.
We don't know what Nagys plan is. Hopefully, it is to start Fields at both whatever time the coaches feel he is ready to play And feel that he gives him the best chance of winning. Once the first part is true I assume the second part will be as well but it needs to be said.
This is what a smart coach would do IMO. All the talk about Dalton is our starter is true - until it is not - which could take place at any time. I think he's setting expectations so Fields has as much time as he needs to acclimate and is not rushed to start because his development is most paramount Sending a firm message that Dalton is the starter and they have a (secret) plan will help him Nagy deal with the media week to week and will help take pressure of the situation. So far Nagy is playing it perfectly in my mind.
Based on everything we have learned I would guess Fields will adapt quickly and be starting sometime in the first quarter barring Dalton performing well above our expectations.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
To stay on topic, based on this breakdown of Dalton it looks like he can be a decent game manager but the lack of pocket awareness will require good pass blocking. Sounds like he could run a quick hitting tempo passing game with occasional deep threat. Like the rest of our offense will mostly depend on Nagy and how much he adopts his system to the players and adopts his play calling to the defense.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
To stay on topic, based on this breakdown of Dalton it looks like he can be a decent game manager but the lack of pocket awareness will require good pass blocking. Sounds like he could run a quick hitting tempo passing game with occasional deep threat. Like the rest of our offense will mostly depend on Nagy and how much he adopts his system to the players and adopts his play calling to the defense.
Unfortunately the occasional deep threat won’t cut it for Nagys offense to succeed. I’m sure most people of tired of the game managers. Fields will give the Bears the best opportunity to be a more explosive offense.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately the occasional deep threat won’t cut it for Nagys offense to succeed. I’m sure most people of tired of the game managers. Fields will give the Bears the best opportunity to be a more explosive offense.
You are right. Maybe he'll try to meet him half way until Fields is ready. We have seen Nagy adjust from his offense for small stretches in the past 2 years.