Blackhawks feel pressure for name change

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You're using a ton of hyperbole here.

I remember when Italians felt the Sopranos was derogatory to all Italians. Some (even those who weren't Italian) wanted the show to end and called for that, because they saw it as stereotypical. I'm Italian, and I didn't give a shit, and never found it at all derogatory. There are Native Americans out there who have and would say the same thing: they really don't find any offense what so ever and feel like being remembered is better than being forgotten or whitewashed.

That said, I don't know why people are always so defensive when it comes to calling it for what it is. Let's not pretend that cancel culture isn't real and that these name changes aren't a byproduct of that -- just call it for what is. It's no coincidence, especially when you look at Chicago itself, with renaming LSD, etc. Whether cancel culture is "good" or effective or not is another argument, but to say it doesn't exist in today's day and age is ignoring reality. It has always existed, but never to the extent that it does today, particularly thanks to social media.

Like I said, I think it's silly to be so worked up about it either way.
There's always push back against societal change,it wasn't that long ago where entire towns turned out for a lynching and no one took offense to it. We evolve in a quest for that 'more perfect union' we were promised but only some enjoyed.

I'm sure many saw the 'Emancipation Proclamation' as the cancel culture of it's day and LBJ signing the 'Civil and Voting rights acts' cost the Democrats the south forever in protest against giving humans human rights......was LBJ woke?

To clarify,I'm not insinuating in any way that you harbor racist tendencies......as a matter of fact,I've know you for a long tine and I KNOW you don't......just observations.

I'm also not calling the Black Hawks logo racist,I just think the time for human caricatures on sports jerseys or other commercial uses has run it's course.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good....right after them is a bunch of team names that are racist, white supremacist, religious or oppressors

Just off the top of my head in the nfl:

Packers, steelers, 49ers, cowboys, vikings, saints, buccaneers, raiders, patriots, titans, texans, giants, etc
None of the names on this totally nonrelated list are actual races of people,most are occupations or totally fictitious.

If GB wants to honor meat packers or SF gold miners or Pitt steel workers or Dallas cowboys....that's their business.

If a bunch of Irishmen call their team the Fighting Irish or a bunch of people of actual 'Norse' nationality want to call their team the Vikings........that's also their business.

How TF are any of those names "racist,white supremacist or oppressive" ? You're purposely muddying the waters with this post!

Have you ever met a real Giant? A real Raider? A real Buccaneer? A real Saint? If a team in Texas calls themselves the Texans......how TF does that relate? Patriots......I guess we saw them on January 6th!

Granada

Liked Posts:
There's always push back against societal change,it wasn't that long ago where entire towns turned out for a lynching and no one took offense to it. We evolve in a quest for that 'more perfect union' we were promised but only some enjoyed.

I'm sure many saw the 'Emancipation Proclamation' as the cancel culture of it's day and LBJ signing the 'Civil and Voting rights acts' cost the Democrats the south forever in protest against giving humans human rights......was LBJ woke?

To clarify,I'm not insinuating in any way that you harbor racist tendencies......as a matter of fact,I've know you for a long tine and I KNOW you don't......just observations.

I'm also not calling the Black Hawks logo racist,I just think the time for human caricatures on sports jerseys or other commercial uses has run it's course.

That's somewhat of a false equivalence to me, because as I alluded before, those changes actually had an impact. They were much more significant than changing a sports team name; or a maple syrup's name; or some stretch of road. You're talking monumental moments in history. These "changes" now are merely symbolic more than anything, at best. And in some ways, they don't actually cater to the minority; they only cater to the outraged, who are not even a part of said minority.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's somewhat of a false equivalence to me, because as I alluded before, those changes actually had an impact. They were much more significant than changing a sports team name; or a maple syrup's name; or some stretch of road. You're talking monumental moments in history. These "changes" now are merely symbolic more than anything, at best. And in some ways, they don't actually cater to the minority; they only cater to the outraged, who are not even a part of said minority.
We have no idea if Native Americans are outraged and how would we know if they were......they are absolutely voiceless.
They also have bigger issues to address and they address them with little help from the people who put em on those reservations.

I assume you don't actually see Native Americans as 'Chief Wahoo' or actual African American women as 'Aunt Jemima' so I'd figure that you'd consider them offensive too. Do you consider 'Aunt Jemima' as complimentary to Black women?

All one has to do is watch the Western channel's movies from the 40's-50's and 60's to see Native Americans still depicted as murderous savages and the depiction of 'Chief Black Hawk' even comes complete with war paint.

Some of us are offended by a lot of things these days and some of us are offended by nothing.

These changes may be nothing more than symbolic to you or me but then again.....that's not our ancestor on that jersey.

Granada

Liked Posts:
We have no idea if Native Americans are outraged and how would we know if they were......they are absolutely voiceless.
They also have bigger issues to address and they address them with little help from the people who put em on those reservations.

I assume you don't actually see Native Americans as 'Chief Wahoo' or actual African American women as 'Aunt Jemima' so I'd figure that you'd consider them offensive too. Do you consider 'Aunt Jemima' as complimentary to Black women?

All one has to do is watch the Western channel's movies from the 40's-50's and 60's to see Native Americans still depicted as murderous savages and the depiction of 'Chief Black Hawk' even comes complete with war paint.

Some of us are offended by a lot of things these days and some of us are offended by nothing.

These changes may be nothing more than symbolic to you or me but then again.....that's not our ancestor on that jersey.

The Aunt Jemima thing is interesting because members of her own family were saddened when the logo changed. It's like you say: that's not our ancestor.

greg23

Liked Posts:
None of the names on this totally nonrelated list are actual races of people,most are occupations or totally fictitious.

If GB wants to honor meat packers or SF gold miners or Pitt steel workers or Dallas cowboys....that's their business.

If a bunch of Irishmen call their team the Fighting Irish or a bunch of people of actual 'Norse' nationality want to call their team the Vikings........that's also their business.

How TF are any of those names "racist,white supremacist or oppressive" ? You're purposely muddying the waters with this post!

Have you ever met a real Giant? A real Raider? A real Buccaneer? A real Saint? If a team in Texas calls themselves the Texans......how TF does that relate? Patriots......I guess we saw them on January 6th!

Cowboys killed and oppressed Mexicans and Indians

Pirates pillaged and looted people of color across the oceans

49ers were the start of the systemic racist economic system in the west

The list goes on and on for the offended.

I'm waiting for PETA to step in and end the disgraceful sports symbols and chanting of animals who are held hostage in zoos.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cowboys killed and oppressed Mexicans and Indians

Pirates pillaged and looted people of color across the oceans

49ers were the start of the systemic racist economic system in the west

The list goes on and on for the offended.

I'm waiting for PETA to step in and end the disgraceful sports symbols and chanting of animals who are held hostage in zoos.
Native Americans are non-whites and you don't give a fuck about non-whites. .....everything you write proves that.

Using an actual likeness of a minority to prosper and make a fortune is the ultimate white privilege and that's really why you defend it. Rich white jagoffs have a right to do whatever they want to any non-white and the country is founded in that very sentiment.

Dam shame the original inhabitants couldn't build a fucking wall to keep all the Euro-trash invaders out!

Real cowboys tended cattle.....it was the US GOVERMENT who slaughtered the indigenous people.

You're once again muddying the waters with nonsense........the Black Hawks are the only sports team with an actual human being on their disgusting jersey and that just wouldn't happen if that human wasn't a minority.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Native Americans are non-whites and you don't give a fuck about non-whites. .....everything you write proves that.

Using an actual likeness of a minority to prosper and make a fortune is the ultimate white privilege and that's really why you defend it. Rich white jagoffs have a right to do whatever they want to any non-white and the country is founded in that very sentiment.

Dam shame the original inhabitants couldn't build a fucking wall to keep all the Euro-trash invaders out!

Real cowboys tended cattle.....it was the US GOVERMENT who slaughtered the indigenous people.

You're once again muddying the waters with nonsense........the Black Hawks are the only sports team with an actual human being on their disgusting jersey and that just wouldn't happen if that human wasn't a minority.

What happens when they become the Boqvists and use the image of a defenseman getting worked over?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Christians themselves propagate the image of the crucified Christ and last I checked nobody has JC on a hockey jersey. What would happen if it was the crucifiers using the image instead? How would that go over?

Chief Black Hawk was considered a 'demon in human form' by the US govt troops who slaughterd his family and people right before his eyes and then paraded him around as a trophy in a cage...........that's how America "honored" him.

Aren't there other religions like Islam that don't allow any images of there main Icon.....since we're talking religion.

Do you believe that modern day Native Americans actually look like the caricatures on sports jerseys? Have you seen or are you familiar with life on the 'res' or the struggles Native Americans face today.

But hey.....I paid $400 for a fucking shirt with a picture of a human being on it and I'm gonna wear it.....offensive or not.
61xXtXK7yjL._AC_UX342_.jpg

apparently it would go over just fine..

and what the US troops did to him has noting to do with how the Blackhawks are honoring him

I have never lived on a res, but I grew up with Native American culture, My Great grand father was Half Cherokee, in fact my grandmother used to travel around to the grade schools teaching about Native American culture. It was a bit embarrassing when she came to my school, not that I was embarrassed about anything Native American but she would always have me help and I was a very shy kid back then..

Now does this give me the authority over everything that should be deemed offensive to Native Americans? Nope, I can only speak for myself and have no problem with the Blackhawks logo..

Vanken

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You must be part of the group I was talking about. Sooner or later this cancel culture crap has to stop just to appease a small group that gets offended by everything.

I don't want the name or logo to change. So what? Most fans don't want it to change either. If you're offended by the logo, stop following the team. Maybe the Kraken is a better fit for you.
I live in Calgary, and there is a considerable number of indigenous people here who proudly wear Indianhead sweaters and caps around town. Whenever I come across what I think is a fellow Hawks fan, I am frequently surprised to find that they are NOT Hawks fans (not even hockey fans) but just like a design that reflects their own culture. I've even had people offer to buy my sweater or cap from me when they see me wearing my Hawks gear.

SkyKing

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A funny aside:
I live and play a lot of golf here in Florida. When the Hawks were on a roll in the 2010's, for my birthday, my son bought me a golf bag with the Hawks Indian head prominently displayed on it. I visited a local country club and as the cart attendant was putting my bag on a cart, an older lady standing nearby saw my bag and asked, "Is that the Cleveland Indians?" I could've slapped her. Ha ha!!!!

greg23

Liked Posts:
I live in Calgary, and there is a considerable number of indigenous people here who proudly wear Indianhead sweaters and caps around town. Whenever I come across what I think is a fellow Hawks fan, I am frequently surprised to find that they are NOT Hawks fans (not even hockey fans) but just like a design that reflects their own culture. I've even had people offer to buy my sweater or cap from me when they see me wearing my Hawks gear.
Don't they know you're an oppressor and they should feel offended by those logos?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There's an obvious way to handle this without resorting to this stupid ass-baggery back and forth.

Florida State pays what effectively is bribe money to the Seminole tribe, but done legally and in return gets to keep using the name Florida State Seminoles without getting harassed.

Blackhawks just need to kick a little money to the Blackhawk tribe and present it as a joint agreement, it as long as the Blackhawk tribe is on board they can keep everything just the way it is.

That's all this cancel culture shakedown shit is anyway - it's the new mafia protection racket.