Jason Heyward won't be going anywhere.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
He is on the payroll at 23 million per year until the end of 2023. During this time him and Hendricks are the only ones earning over $10 million.

Before the trade deadline Heywards contract was a massive albatross because we had a bunch of high paid arbitration players eating up a bunch of our soft cap space. But now they are all gone and in 2022 we will have about $150 million in cap space and Heywards contract will not prevent us from signing anyone.

He is also literally untradeable, unless we pay his contract, but his return won't get us a prospect worthwhile enough to pay $20 million plus. We are better off just keeping him as the prototypical defender and a somewhat decent contact hitter, this year has been rather bad for him in that regards.

We need to stop with the idea that we can get rid of him, it doesn't make any sense for another team to want him, and it makes little sense for us to eat his money and just release him at a time when we won't be good anyways.

Last edited:

holyfriggincow

Liked Posts:
Sigh....yep. About all we can hope for is that the kids can come up and do something. (Brennan Davis, etc...) and that would relegate him to be the highest paid 4th outfielder ever. BUT he is a pro and generally a solid teammate. Hopefully he can mentor the kids and show them the way. He's bounced back before, and is still only 31 I believe so......yep.

garapp

Liked Posts:
Reality sucks and unfortunately so does Jason. I'd keep him another year and release him after 2022

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
He has a full no-trade through his 10-5 rights so even if you find a suitor after you eat his contract--Heyward has to agree to it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe that Jed will trade Happ. Sit on Jason for his D. And run Ortega and Deichman in the other two spots.

Davis has never played at AAA yet so there is time.

As far as what Jed will do? I believe it will be more reaction stuff. Jason steps back and helps the Kids learing routes and other leadership details. 100% on board. He demands playing time over the kids while sucking like this year. Shit can.

If he is pushing .300 again and helping the kids with their struggles he is an asset. Everything else is personel baggage and unjustified hate.

If he sucks and Jed does nothing? That is Jed's deal.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Do we really need to wait around to see if heyward sucks next year?! Pretty sure we KNOW he stinks. That said, there’s no way we are able to get rid of him. And at this point it’s really not even an issue. It’s not like the cubs have an abundance of OF talent pushing heyward out yet anyways

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He matters little going forward. This is almost non issue.

All that really matters is if they target Castellanos for LF and when is Davis' ETA. Jason's future is tied up on that. He is a non factor on payroll.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one will ever admit it, but that contract had to be an elephant in the room for some of those players. Take Rizzo, for instance. For everything he feels he’s done for the Cubs, they offer him 15 mil a season while his teammate Jason Fooking Heyward is making 23 mil a year. That’s gotta sting.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Off subject.

Happ is a pile of poo that stinks up the line up every day.

That is my game 1 IGT

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
They should just release Heyward in the offseason. It’s a sunk cost at this point and his roster spot can be given to someone else who can’t be any worse.

sp2325

Liked Posts:
I would eat Heyward salary as much as a team needs to trade him. This gives up a spot to a younger player or a cheaper veteran who can play better than Heyward.

USA

Liked Posts:
No one will ever admit it, but that contract had to be an elephant in the room for some of those players. Take Rizzo, for instance. For everything he feels he’s done for the Cubs, they offer him 15 mil a season while his teammate Jason Fooking Heyward is making 23 mil a year. That’s gotta sting.
100%. I always thought that signing and the Quintana trade with the White Sox are the two reasons why the Cubs are in where they are at now. We definitely need Cease and Eloy Jimenez on the Cubs now. But the analytics support the trade. The analytics also supported the Baltimore trade with Jake Arrieta, and it payed out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would eat Heyward salary as much as a team needs to trade him. This gives up a spot to a younger player or a cheaper veteran who can play better than Heyward.

I doubt he is trade worthy. His track record as a Cub has been below 100 wRC+ and D dropping every year. He fell off a cliff post STL.

garapp

Liked Posts:
The Cubsarent going to payHeyward 2 years salary. He's back in 2022

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's the challenge project to the staff. Coach him back to better hitting and improve/retain his best value either way.
Kind've obvious for all players but with that massive contract the weight is bigger for him vs. the average prospect hitting or not.

Snicker_Dickens

Liked Posts:
He's getting Big Frank money for putting up stats like his name is Lil Weenie <<< should be his nickname.

Bust

Liked Posts:
They should just release Heyward in the offseason. It’s a sunk cost at this point and his roster spot can be given to someone else who can’t be any worse.

Not only does jayhey suck in baseball at this point in his career, he is also a vocal anti vaxxer. Comes off as arrogant, wow! Fox news and other anti vaxx social media sites love when these guys come out to the forefront, helps promote their cause to their minions . . .

Jason Heyward says the emphasis on Chicago Cubs players’ vaccination choices is ‘wasted concern’ — and it should be directed at fans in the stands​

“I don’t think they’re saying, ‘OK, you’re not wearing a mask, you’re not wearing a mask, you’re not wearing a mask, so y’all need to go somewhere.’ They’re not even thinking about doing that,” Heyward said.

“To me it feels like a lot of wasted concern on a group of a people that is pretty much checked off on almost every single day.”

Skittles2100

Liked Posts:
Not only does jayhey suck in baseball at this point in his career, he is also a vocal anti vaxxer. Comes off as arrogant, wow! Fox news and other anti vaxx social media sites love when these guys come out to the forefront, helps promote their cause to their minions . . .

Jason Heyward says the emphasis on Chicago Cubs players’ vaccination choices is ‘wasted concern’ — and it should be directed at fans in the stands​

“I don’t think they’re saying, ‘OK, you’re not wearing a mask, you’re not wearing a mask, you’re not wearing a mask, so y’all need to go somewhere.’ They’re not even thinking about doing that,” Heyward said.

“To me it feels like a lot of wasted concern on a group of a people that is pretty much checked off on almost every single day.”
The thing is, we live to die for a country that believes in individual freedoms. We should respect people that wearnmasks and get the vaccine. We can respect people for their belief not to do either. We can respect people that also feel 1 part is right and one part is wrong. We have the freedom of choice and to coose how we live our lives. That is, as long as we arent COERCING people to fulfill our own happiness and agenda. Both sides are acting like communists and we just need to shut the hell up and be Americans who live out our lives as we see fit. I havent taken antibiotics since I was about 7 years old. I have only recieved 1 flu shot in my lifetime
Other than getting covid last year, I hadnt caught any illness in almost 5 years. Again, if one ever wanted the vaccine, then one should be able to get it with no repercussions from our peers. Likewise if one chooses to never get the vaccine. Stop fighting over bullshit. Our damn politicians decided to make a bill that legalized lobbying and no one gave two shits. That shit went from a federal felony to legal and no one really got up for that tyranny. They just watched trump continue to fire people on t.v as they got fatter. Yet, we put our passion and energy into playing pattycake in the sandbox with other child-adult things that society calls itselves nowadays. They laugh at us. They all are

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Heyward is right though.

They get tested frequently and that's more than doing their part.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The thing is, we live to die for a country that believes in individual freedoms. We should respect people that wearnmasks and get the vaccine. We can respect people for their belief not to do either. We can respect people that also feel 1 part is right and one part is wrong. We have the freedom of choice and to coose how we live our lives. That is, as long as we arent COERCING people to fulfill our own happiness and agenda. Both sides are acting like communists and we just need to shut the hell up and be Americans who live out our lives as we see fit. I havent taken antibiotics since I was about 7 years old. I have only recieved 1 flu shot in my lifetime
Other than getting covid last year, I hadnt caught any illness in almost 5 years.
Again, if one ever wanted the vaccine, then one should be able to get it with no repercussions from our peers. Likewise if one chooses to never get the vaccine. Stop fighting over bullshit. Our damn politicians decided to make a bill that legalized lobbying and no one gave two shits. That shit went from a federal felony to legal and no one really got up for that tyranny. They just watched trump continue to fire people on t.v as they got fatter. Yet, we put our passion and energy into playing pattycake in the sandbox with other child-adult things that society calls itselves nowadays. They laugh at us. They all are

lmao…goes on rant about how healthy he is and how he never gets sick…only to also mention how you fucking got covid. Hmm…maybe this covid thing is a lil different than the flu huh?! Maybe it’s a lil more contagious?!

get fucking vaccinated you fucking ignoramous. You and your spouting of “freedom” isn’t helping the situation any. Don’t be a selfish fucking prick…get vaccinated