Nylander Re-signed

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After all the drama with Strome last off-season, I'm shocked he hasn't been moved yet. He's pretty much become the new Anisimov in that there's not really a spot for him, unless maybe they move him to wing on the 3rd line. Similar to Nylander, Strome isn't very effective as a bottom six player, although Johnson and Hagel may help that.

Between Strome, Nylander, and Connelly especially, I really don't know what the plan is for any of them. Does Stan waive Connelly or do the Hawks give him a chance?
I have to think a player that was acquired with a contract of 3.5MX2 gets every chance to make the roster,if he's waived he'll surely clear and if he's assigned to Rockford,he's still be a cap hit of 2.5M. Somebody had to take Zach Smith's place I guess.........I see a 'bad back' in his future.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Are we talking about Nolander or the 22yro who showed up here and put up 51pts in his first 58 games? Nolander will never see a 50+ point season...........in 82 games..........BOOK IT!
I don't give a shit who the team trades any more and that includes Strome but he looked like a real center playing with D-Cat and D-Cat looked like a million bucks playing with Strome but Harry Potter wouldn't have it. I know I'll hear about how he has to 'earn it',which he did his first year here but WTF did Sukera and Nolander do to earn their top six minutes?

YES,Strome should be able to produce more without D-Cat,he should have a better all around game and he should be better at FO's.......and I shoulda been born rich too.

Separating Strome and D-Cat half way through the first game following career numbers together led to D-Cat having a poor year also................brilliant! Balanced scoring.........LOL! Strome also suffered a high ankle sprain his second year here and it affected his play.

It's not like Strome has been centering Kane or even a player he has chemistry with like D-Cat,why re-sign him and then skate him as a 3rd line wing?

If this player's all around game is so weak that 38gls/106pts in his first 156 games here means little,how were Nolander and Sukera's all around games?

47% at the dot is unacceptable but 37% is the future of the team........I got that right? I'd also like to see some physicality from the 6'3" Strome as I would the 6'4" Dach.

And yeah,comparing AA's game while playing with two of the league's best offensive players to Strome's skatin' wing with two 3rd line scrubs seems fair!

I do however agree that there's no spot for Strome here,Harry Potter took care of that and with JT's anticipated return and our new 5M 3rd line center we should be better at the position. Dach is a talented,young forward and I do see a decent future for him in the league but he still has a LOT to prove and shouldn't this Borgstom kid(if 24 is still a kid)be a legit starting NHL center after we ate Brent 'buyout' Connolly's 7M bucks to get him?

I see the holes in Strome's game too but why not leave him and D-Cat together for another season following their BLOW OUT year together?

YES,it is up to players to not get discouraged and it's also up to HC's not to discourage players......especially young players.

I don't disagree that Strome played best with Debrincat, but overall -- and even with Debrincat at times -- he's been inconsistent. I also think that Dach should be slotted at 2LC -- he's our highest hope and needs to develop sooner rather than later, that has always been his trajectory. If Dach falters, then of course you entertain Strome or Johnson at 2LC, but Dach needs to start the year there and get a prolonged look. Normally, I'm fine with taking time with prospects/young players, but a guy like Dach is a different situation. He's a top-3 pick, he's got the size and skill, and it'll be his 3rd year in the league.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I have to think a player that was acquired with a contract of 3.5MX2 gets every chance to make the roster,if he's waived he'll surely clear and if he's assigned to Rockford,he's still be a cap hit of 2.5M. Somebody had to take Zach Smith's place I guess.........I see a 'bad back' in his future.

I like the "bad back" comment, lol. Yes, but to me, Connelly wasn't the main piece in that trade; that was Borgstrom. Maybe I'm wrong and Stan does think Connelly has some juice left, we'll see.

Borgstrom is interesting in the sense that, if Dach falters badly, you have somewhat of a contingency.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't disagree that Strome played best with Debrincat, but overall -- and even with Debrincat at times -- he's been inconsistent. I also think that Dach should be slotted at 2LC -- he's our highest hope and needs to develop sooner rather than later, that has always been his trajectory. If Dach falters, then of course you entertain Strome or Johnson at 2LC, but Dach needs to start the year there and get a prolonged look. Normally, I'm fine with taking time with prospects/young players, but a guy like Dach is a different situation. He's a top-3 pick, he's got the size and skill, and it'll be his 3rd year in the league.
If nothing else we need to see what we have in Dach, so I agree on that slotting, but in the same vein I think every player should know that if the start to falter they can be replaced...at least in some aspect. So in Dach's case if he looks good as a center buy can't seem to win draws, maybe you give someone else a chance to win the important draws.

I think the 'hawks by the end of this season need to know if they move forward with Dach, Johnson, and/or Strome at center, at winger if they can't put it together at center, or if they need to go fish for the top line centers moving forward. We still have Toews but for how much longer?

Granada

Liked Posts:
If nothing else we need to see what we have in Dach, so I agree on that slotting, but in the same vein I think every player should know that if the start to falter they can be replaced...at least in some aspect. So in Dach's case if he looks good as a center buy can't seem to win draws, maybe you give someone else a chance to win the important draws.

I think the 'hawks by the end of this season need to know if they move forward with Dach, Johnson, and/or Strome at center, at winger if they can't put it together at center, or if they need to go fish for the top line centers moving forward. We still have Toews but for how much longer?

Yeah Toews is an unknown, even for this year in my view. He put out that statement a couple months ago but until I actually see him on the ice in uniform, I'll remain nervous.

Seems like the narrative has always been that Debrincat will replace Kane and Dach will replace Toews. Of course, Joker and Boqvist were supposed to replace Keith and Sebarook, and we all saw how that worked out. At this point, I feel pretty confident in saying that the Cat is the real deal, but Dach is still a question mark. He should be given more time though, obviously.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like the "bad back" comment, lol. Yes, but to me, Connelly wasn't the main piece in that trade; that was Borgstrom. Maybe I'm wrong and Stan does think Connelly has some juice left, we'll see.

Borgstrom is interesting in the sense that, if Dach falters badly, you have somewhat of a contingency.
Doesn't a 24yro Borgstrom have to be a lot more than a contingency for eating Connolly's 7M?
All I read after those trades with Fla was how SB 'fleeced' em but if Borgstrom doesn't make the roster,start and make a diffrence......it's hardly a fleecing. We got Stillman too and sent Carlsson the other way,Fla re-upped Carlsson and he'll get every chance to make the team......Q had him in his last two prospects camps here and might appreciate the defense first D-man more tan Harry Potter did.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Doesn't a 24yro Borgstrom have to be a lot more than a contingency for eating Connolly's 7M?
All I read after those trades with Fla was how SB 'fleeced' em but if Borgstrom doesn't make the roster,start and make a diffrence......it's hardly a fleecing. We got Stillman too and sent Carlsson the other way,Fla re-upped Carlsson and he'll get every chance to make the team......Q had him in his last two prospects camps here and might appreciate the defense first D-man more tan Harry Potter did.
I said this right when the trade happened, and considering we let Zadorov go this off-season, it appears to be true: Stillman was a contingency for Zadorov (a poor-man's version perhaps, but nonetheless). So you get Borgstrom and Stillman, two decent contingencies (plus a pick) but we had to eat some salary to make the deal happen, which isn't uncommon. They got one solid prospect, but we got two, so we had to eat some salary. That's how I see it anyway.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I said this right when the trade happened, and considering we let Zadorov go this off-season, it appears to be true: Stillman was a contingency for Zadorov (a poor-man's version perhaps, but nonetheless). So you get Borgstrom and Stillman, two decent contingencies (plus a pick) but we had to eat some salary to make the deal happen, which isn't uncommon. They got one solid prospect, but we got two, so we had to eat some salary. That's how I see it anyway.
I see 3.5M for the next two years more than just some salary but if Borgstrom and Stillman can contribute it might be worth it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

How about both the primary plan and the contingency work out to the point Borgbot has chemistry with Kane and Dach spearheads a third 200 foot line of Reichel-Dach-Hagel

toews gets Kubalik and another. Cat -Cyborg-Kane

strome-Kampf-Connolly

gaudette

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Barrett-Taser-Kubalik
El Gato-Borgbot-Kaner
Reichel-Dachshund-Hagel
Stroke-Kampgf-Connolly/Gaudette

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How about both the primary plan and the contingency work out to the point Borgbot has chemistry with Kane and Dach spearheads a third 200 foot line of Reichel-Dach-Hagel

toews gets Kubalik and another. Cat -Cyborg-Kane

strome-Kampf-Connolly

gaudette
I'll let Reichel actually play some games on NHL ice before assuming he'll be a 200' player.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hawks extend Murphy for four years......no details yet.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Decent enough deal for what Murph brings at 5.4% of the cap. Gotta think at this point DeHaan's days are numbered; with Jones the Elder at 9.5M, McCabe at 4, and Murph at 4.4 that's ~18M in 3 D-men at the start of next season.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Decent enough deal for what Murph brings at 5.4% of the cap. Gotta think at this point DeHaan's days are numbered; with Jones the Elder at 9.5M, McCabe at 4, and Murph at 4.4 that's ~18M in 3 D-men at the start of next season.
The only way deHAAN-job's days are numbered is if the Hawks sweeten a shit ton or eat at least half the $$$.

Who's the top pair D-man who'll skate with Jones.....I doubt he'll carry a different rookie every night like Keith had to.

Murphy said he was "too important to the team to fight" last year when TB wanted satisfaction for a big hit he put on Cerelli(I believe) but at least he won't have to face Maroon seven times again next year.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The only way deHAAN-job's days are numbered is if the Hawks sweeten a shit ton or eat at least half the $$$.

Who's the top pair D-man who'll skate with Jones.....I doubt he'll carry a different rookie every night like Keith had to.

Murphy said he was "too important to the team to fight" last year when TB wanted satisfaction for a big hit he put on Cerelli(I believe) but at least he won't have to face Maroon seven times again next year.
...or they could just not sign DeHaan next season. I don't have any faith that DeHaan will be moved at all. We're paying 4.5M for a guy who plays like a 6-7 guy in DeHaan, so that deal looks bad no matter how you slice it. If I was JC or Stan I'd give him about 10 games to show he's more than a warm body on the ice and if not, let him fetch off Eddie-O and not play for his next paycheck...but I'm an asshole like that.

As for Murph, I'm not going to chastise him for being a pantywaist on a team of pantywaists (and I apologize to any pantywaist who might be offended my be comparing them to the Chicago Blackhawks). After all this is a team that lacked the clockweights to step up for Crawford...twice. That might not be a player problem so much as a team/culture problem, especially seeing how we've both seen that guys willing to stand up for their teammates do it maybe once...and then don't do it again.

In terms of overall game Murph's a poor-man's Hjammer, and his current cap% is less than Hjammer had on his last 4.1M AAV deal when he played with the 'hawks--6.4% to 5.4% That seems about right in my book and honestly, as a 4-5 Murph isn't bad player in that role.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe De Haan will be the next Kruger and take a smaller deal to stay longer and pay us back as long as JC is around while playing a bit role. Third pairing coach on ice for the next yewt in the pipe.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe De Haan will be the next Kruger and take a smaller deal to stay longer and pay us back as long as JC is around while playing a bit role. Third pairing coach on ice for the next yewt in the pipe.
Uhhh...seriously, DeHaan should not under any circumstances be in any role where the 'hawks are paying him money...and that includes jockstrap cleanliness inspector.