Justin Fields - Key Metrics

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Let us not forget that while watching a preseason game you said "Why is Hicks even on this roster"???

To say you're stupid is a massive insult to stupid people.
why is hicks even on this roster

i would much rather have to not rely on Sam Mustipher as my starting center

or Peters on a vet minimum as my LT

or Rodney Adams as my 3rd WR

or whoever the fuck is at CB2 as my CB2

our defensive line depth is a luxury, and Hicks is the old, expensive, and often injured one

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
hell you could have used Hicks’ money and not have to rely on Shelly as the nickel

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Pre-season metrics are hilariously stupid. PFF is essentially useless when it has an actual data pool to draw from. Pre season grades are the height of uselessness. Congratulations on being fooled into thinking anything they say means anything though.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
why is hicks even on this roster

i would much rather have to not rely on Sam Mustipher as my starting center

or Peters on a vet minimum as my LT

or Rodney Adams as my 3rd WR

or whoever the fuck is at CB2 as my CB2

our defensive line depth is a luxury, and Hicks is the old, expensive, and often injured one

He only missed significant time one season out of nine because of a dislocated elbow in 2019. This is why you get called a moron because you talk out of your ass.

Stonewall

Liked Posts:
PFF means little to nothing.

Statistics are only designed to augment what you see on the fields. Not shape your perception of play wholly

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pre-season metrics are hilariously stupid. PFF is essentially useless when it has an actual data pool to draw from. Pre season grades are the height of uselessness. Congratulations on being fooled into thinking anything they say means anything though.

Hi there Moneyball.

It doesn't surprise me that an accountant would trust PFF "data" as reference point and ignore nuance.

No vortex for me.

PFF is mostly garbage.

#eyeballsmatter
PFF means little to nothing.

Statistics are only designed to augment what you see on the fields. Not shape your perception of play wholly
I refer all 3 of you to post 12 where I link to the 3 preseason game review threads I did reviewing every play for Fields. The PFF data just supplements what I observed by watching the games.

No, I don't. I did preseason reviews for each one of his games and if you go back to those threads I observed the same thing on a few of his throws. In fact, I believe in each of the 3 reviews I did, I noted that he was holding on to the ball a tick to long. So it just so happens that PFF reinforced what I saw by watching the games. Also, I didn't say it was a negative. I said it was something to monitor and perhaps explains why the Bears want to give him a bit more time. I also concede that some of the TTT may be the result of people not being open.

Long term, the reality is he will always be a QB that holds a ball looking to attack downfield. He just needs to probably shave of a half second from his time to throw to bring it a bit more in line with the other elite mobile QBs. Or perhaps he does turn out to be a truly unique player in that regard relative to other mobile QBs.

#eyeballsmatter

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would be 100% ok with Fields sitting if he were learning from a Favre or Alex Smith. But I personally don’t think Dalton provides what you mentioned. Especially when he is in a new offense himself, with new players and is on the decline. I don’t think Fields will learn as much from sitting and watching Dalton as others do on this board.

I think there is a difference between whether Dalton has the physical gifts to excel vs whether he has the brain to make the right reads and throw with anticipation. He possesses the latter. No longer has enough of the former to be successful.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remy “Moneyball” dat

The Oakland A's are my favorite baseball team although pre Moneyball as loved the Bash Brothers and Rickey Henderson. Got a chance to work with Paul DePodesta a few years ago when he first transitioned from being a baseball exec to football with the Browns.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think there is a difference between whether Dalton has the physical gifts to excel vs whether he has the brain to make the right reads and throw with anticipation. He possesses the latter. No longer has enough of the former to be successful.
And while that’s great it won’t matter if the OL is constantly collapsing and he can’t get the ball out on time. Besides so far during the preseason he hasn’t shown he can consistently make the right read

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And while that’s great it won’t matter if the OL is constantly collapsing and he can’t get the ball out on time. Besides so far during the preseason he hasn’t shown he can consistently make the right read

Not sure his issue has been not making the right read. Think it has been more the case he is playing 1st team D with a 2nd and 3rd string OL and 2nd and 3rd string WRs which is a recipe for not having guys open. Let's look at the play time of the projected starters (note excluded 3rd game for Ifedi, Daniels and Peters since Dalton did not play the 3rd game)

Dalton - 33 snaps
Monty - 1
ARob - 0
Mooney - 6
Godwin - 1
Kmet - 7
Graham - 6
Peters - 0
Whitehair - 60
Mustipher- 69
Daniels - 0
Ifedi - 0

Maybe just maybe, this is part of the reason why Nagy said he wanted to see Fields in the regular season. We all agree Fields didn't have the best talent around him when he played but neither did Dalton.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
live look at remy piecing together PFF to make a scientific football argument

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F29f79ef3-e656-4ddc-ad4c-474d9e405212_480x304.gif

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
live look at remy piecing together PFF to make a scientific football argument

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F29f79ef3-e656-4ddc-ad4c-474d9e405212_480x304.gif

Live look at Modo making an intelligent argument.

The End!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think with Fields as the QB you are going to have to deal with him retaining footballs a little too long.

He did it in college a bit but only because the guy is ridiculous at extending plays. If I were as athletic as him I would probably backyard football a shit-ton during a game too.

Its part of who he is. I think he will have to learn to release a little quicker, because NFL players are no joke.

If he can pick and choose his times to extend plays wisely he is going to be a force.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
He only missed significant time one season out of nine because of a dislocated elbow in 2019. This is why you get called a moron because you talk out of your ass.
he has averaged 2.5 sacks over the last 3 seasons compared to 2016,2017, and 2018 when he had 7, 8.5, and 7. his best years are behind him, and is over 30 with a cap hit of $12M and dead cap of only $1.5M.

why would you not cut a 31 year old d linemen who hasn’t been productive since 2018 and save $10M, especially when you need to resign him after this season if you want to keep him.

you could have had 2 or 3 starters with his money. Particularly at positions like WR, or C where they are positions of need.

from a business point of view him being on the roster makes no sense.

hell you could even use that money to help extend allen robinson so you can focus on signing an offensive tackle next season.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not sure his issue has been not making the right read. Think it has been more the case he is playing 1st team D with a 2nd and 3rd string OL and 2nd and 3rd string WRs which is a recipe for not having guys open. Let's look at the play time of the projected starters (note excluded 3rd game for Ifedi, Daniels and Peters since Dalton did not play the 3rd game)

Dalton - 33 snaps
Monty - 1
ARob - 0
Mooney - 6
Godwin - 1
Kmet - 7
Graham - 6
Peters - 0
Whitehair - 60
Mustipher- 69
Daniels - 0
Ifedi - 0

Maybe just maybe, this is part of the reason why Nagy said he wanted to see Fields in the regular season. We all agree Fields didn't have the best talent around him when he played but neither did Dalton.
Yes there is no denying that Dalton did play with shit but I’d argue that Fields at least made the best out what was given to him while Dalton didn’t. I’d like to point out that I was completely for Dalton starting if he actually outplayed Fields but he hasn’t

Last edited:

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
But we don’t know if he has the brains and anticipation with the Bears offense. Has he shown it in the past, sure. But he has been declining for several years now. I don’t know how much Fields will learn from him

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My polar bear in a snowstorm will make you his bitch

Don't think he will do will in the 90 degree heat. I punch dolphins for shits and giggles. I can handle a dehydrated Polar Bear stupid enough to come to the tropics.

I think with Fields as the QB you are going to have to deal with him retaining footballs a little too long.

He did it in college a bit but only because the guy is ridiculous at extending plays. If I were as athletic as him I would probably backyard football a shit-ton during a game too.

Its part of who he is. I think he will have to learn to release a little quicker, because NFL players are no joke.

If he can pick and choose his times to extend plays wisely he is going to be a force.

Yes this is pretty much what I said. He needs to get closer to the times other elite mobile QBs have which is around 3 seconds not 3.5.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes this is pretty much what I said. He needs to get closer to the times other elite mobile QBs have which is around 3 seconds not 3.5.
I don't buy into the whole timing thing. The sample size is way too small. And couple that with a lack of an actual in game strategy renders some of this stuff moot.