CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm not sure what people thought Illinois was going to be the next few years. They sucked. Lovie Smith's recruiting was bad. I mean at least the dummy Beckman improved the team every year. Lovie left nothing, but BB recruited the covid seniors. These are the same seniors who had won nothing. The O-Line is undersized for Big Ten football standards. Every other team has covid seniors playing, too.

How you enjoy Illinois football is looking at what they've brought in. and seeing perhaps where they can get in the next few years. You have to give BB 3 years whether you agree with the hire or not. They clearly have some skill position players. McCreary looks like he could be that every down back next year. Deuce Spann can catch the deep ball. That was a great position switch. IW has some years left as a WR. Barker will be gone, but Luke Ford is still there. They need to hit the transfer portal for a top QB. But the offense is much closer to being competitive than the defense, IMHO.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm not sure what people thought Illinois was going to be the next few years. They sucked. Lovie Smith's recruiting was bad. I mean at least the dummy Beckman improved the team every year. Lovie left nothing, but BB recruited the covid seniors. These are the same seniors who had won nothing. The O-Line is undersized for Big Ten football standards. Every other team has covid seniors playing, too.

How you enjoy Illinois football is looking at what they've brought in. and seeing perhaps where they can get in the next few years. You have to give BB 3 years whether you agree with the hire or not. They clearly have some skill position players. McCreary looks like he could be that every down back next year. Deuce Spann can catch the deep ball. That was a great position switch. IW has some years left as a WR. Barker will be gone, but Luke Ford is still there. They need to hit the transfer portal for a top QB. But the offense is much closer to being competitive than the defense, IMHO.
I forgot how much of an Illini apologist you are.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I have no issues with Bielema in regards to this year’s results thus far. It’s personnel.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I don't see how anyone could have expected anything this year. People forget Illinois did have a minor history in producing good talent for awhile. Dilger, Rice, Hardy, Butkus, Nietzke, Grange, George and many others. It's just hard to keep them in state with sub-par facilities and a fanbase that has been disappearing the last decade. Bielema, who is an ass, but he can recruit and at least get this program respectable again like Zook had it in 2007.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I thought their facilities were upgraded and were considered pretty darn good, no?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I thought their facilities were upgraded and were considered pretty darn good, no?
I probably missed that, haven't exactly paid attention

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Whitman is a very good fund raiser re: facilities.

Bielema is going to need to need some time because the program has really been a complete dumpster fire for a decade. Next year's team is going to be worse than this year's team. But Bielema does seem to know what he's doing and seems like he's less of a douchenozzle than he used to be. He's never had to rebuild a program like this, but his recruiting is off to a good start and he's clearly a more enthusiastic recruiter and better at connecting with coaches than Lovie was.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't see how anyone could have expected anything this year. People forget Illinois did have a minor history in producing good talent for awhile. Dilger, Rice, Hardy, Butkus, Nietzke, Grange, George and many others. It's just hard to keep them in state with sub-par facilities and a fanbase that has been disappearing the last decade. Bielema, who is an ass, but he can recruit and at least get this program respectable again like Zook had it in 2007.
Illinois' facilities are new and state of the art. The facilities are no longer an excuse.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Whitman is a very good fund raiser re: facilities.

Bielema is going to need to need some time because the program has really been a complete dumpster fire for a decade. Next year's team is going to be worse than this year's team. But Bielema does seem to know what he's doing and seems like he's less of a douchenozzle than he used to be. He's never had to rebuild a program like this, but his recruiting is off to a good start and he's clearly a more enthusiastic recruiter and better at connecting with coaches than Lovie was.
And the transfer portal changes a lot of things. They need to be active there, especially at QB. That's why the time frame to get better can't be 4-5 years. 3 years should be enough to see significant, positive development of the program.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Illinois' facilities are new and state of the art. The facilities are no longer an excuse.
Lovie made it a program again, now a football coach can stack some blocks and watch out.

Bielema only comes if he sees the facility and recruiting pool to be successful.

I believe he came for the upside and thinks he can look good and get back to SEC or other juggernaut if he turns program into contender...meaning beat Penn St, Wisconsin, or a team from Michigan and make it to bowl games.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good starting place tonight against a talented foe but not a juggaurnot. These are games they need to learn to win, by finding ways to compete all the way to the end even if they have to lose some more...

I see their older brother here, maybe 12-24 months further into rebuild.

I just hope they use their speed on offense and make Maryland throw downfield, don't get blown out.

If you don't make MD throw deep they can run Illini over. Force them to puck their spots and convert third downs...get some points, ride the crowd.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Illini will get crushed tonight. Lose by 40+. Hope I'm wrong. Will be great weather so will watch it on the deck. W or L campus will be wild tonight. LOL

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Illini will get crushed tonight. Lose by 40+. Hope I'm wrong. Will be great weather so will watch it on the deck. W or L campus will be wild tonight. LOL
The boxscore at halftime says its the most evenly matched game in the history of college football.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All week the guys on radio and tv said it was going to be Ugly.. Put up a good fight. Maryland likes to go headhunting.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Bielema played coward football there. Punted on 4th and 2 from the Purdue 34?!?!