Bears vs Rams Review - Was Nagy and Desai the problem?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
How exactly? The all-22 option isn't available yet on NFL gamepass from what I can see.
I have it....I use the Europe version of NFL Gamepass if that makes a difference

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not sure Nagy sucks at calling plays so much as his players suck at executing them.

Uh, it's literally his job to prepare the team.

If the players can't execute his playbook then he's done a shit job coaching and preparing his team.

And if they can't execute plays he shouldn't continue calling them.

For example, how many times do we have to watch that stupid shovel pass not work and injury our own players before he stops calling it and takes it out of the playbook?

It's a fucking joke, honestly.

All offseason to prepare for the Rams and what did we get? Yet another brain dead game plan.

A bunch of east-west 10 yards and under garbage that played right into the defenses hands.

Weird how the Rams were able to neutralize our pass rushers and scheme up some pass concepts to exploit our coverages for big plays just fine yet our fans want to come up with every excuse in the book for why Nagy can never do the same to opposing coaches.

Weird how our "offensive genius" can't seem to scheme up any sort of concepts that get our players wide open like that.

The best we can get from Nagy is ripping off the play from OSU to get a TE open once a game.

?‍♂️

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have it....I use the Europe version of NFL Gamepass if that makes a difference

It must.. I'm not seeing an option for it anywhere on the US version... :unsure:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well he ran it efficiently until he got in the opponent half and then he fucked it up royally on 3 separate occassions that cost us anyehere from 13 to 21 points.

If he continues to make those dumb mistakes in the opponent half then Fields should start.
Won't be long but we didn't expect it to be.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Desai should have gone with a base cover 2 zone the whole game to help the safety figuring out his system. It's the ultimate bend don't break defense which was the staple of the great bear headcoach Lovie Smith from back in the day.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Can't bring myself to read the vortex but I can imagine what it says. Yes it is Nagy and Desai's faults. Whatever habits they allow are on them. Well coached teams don't make the same effort mistakes year after year. At some point enough is enough.
These are my thoughts exactly (but I did read the OP's text).

What we see on the field is one of two things: what players are coached to do, or what players are allowed to do. Either way the blame falls on coaching.

If we're having all these mental mistakes then that's on coaching. If we aren't doing the little things like looking off a MLB then that's on coaching. That should be repped over and over to the point it's second nature.

This is a poorly coached team. Nagy should've been fired already. Desai should've never been hired; I don't blame him for taking a promotion he's not ready for. It's the Bears front office fault he's our DC. No up-and-coming DC would come to an organization with a lame duck regime. He's the best, maybe only, option we had at the time.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Bears looked like they were in obvious man on the wrong side of those highlights. Zone is more forgiving with lesser athletes on the back end. The only guy who can play man for the bears is JJ.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
1631724655193.png

At least they are #1 in something.

and lol NFCN

1631725267591.png

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Desai should have gone with a base cover 2 zone the whole game to help the safety figuring out his system. It's the ultimate bend don't break defense which was the staple of the great bear headcoach Lovie Smith from back in the day.

Figure out? The system hasn't changed from Fangio.
These are my thoughts exactly (but I did read the OP's text).

What we see on the field is one of two things: what players are coached to do, or what players are allowed to do. Either way the blame falls on coaching.

If we're having all these mental mistakes then that's on coaching. If we aren't doing the little things like looking off a MLB then that's on coaching. That should be repped over and over to the point it's second nature.

This is a poorly coached team. Nagy should've been fired already. Desai should've never been hired; I don't blame him for taking a promotion he's not ready for. It's the Bears front office fault he's our DC. No up-and-coming DC would come to an organization with a lame duck regime. He's the best, maybe only, option we had at the time.

This is overly simplistic. You arent accounting for the fact there are stupid and bad players in the NFL.

By this logic, guys Bears fans hated like Leno were not bad players. It was just the coaches fault.

Last edited:

Canth

Liked Posts:
Figure out? The system hasn't changed from Fangio.

This is overly simplistic. You arent accounting for the fact there are stupidand bad players in the NFL.

By thid logic, guys Bears fans hated like Leno were not bad players. It was just the coaches fault.

If it is the same player making the same mistake over and over again, then yes, it's a bad player. However, I would say there is still a coaching issue if you have a player making the same mistake over and over again and letting affect your team's performance. I say this because A) You haven't replaced him and B) You haven't accounted for the mistake that you know is likely to occur. Ie, don't make a playcall or coverage call that exposes your players weaknesses.

When you have multiple players making mistakes, as the Bears did on Sunday, that is also more of a coaching issue. The coaches clearly didn't have their team ready to play. Sure, there is an argument that the Front Office didn't give them the horses to make it happen. But, with all the 'collaboration' that goes on, those coaches seemingly said at some point that they could get it the job done with the players acquired and/or kept. Misses happen, but when it becomes a trend, then it's more than just that one player.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If it is the same player making the same mistake over and over again, then yes, it's a bad player. However, I would say there is still a coaching issue if you have a player making the same mistake over and over again and letting affect your team's performance. I say this because A) You haven't replaced him and B) You haven't accounted for the mistake that you know is likely to occur. Ie, don't make a playcall or coverage call that exposes your players weaknesses.

When you have multiple players making mistakes, as the Bears did on Sunday, that is also more of a coaching issue. The coaches clearly didn't have their team ready to play. Sure, there is an argument that the Front Office didn't give them the horses to make it happen. But, with all the 'collaboration' that goes on, those coaches seemingly said at some point that they could get it the job done with the players acquired and/or kept. Misses happen, but when it becomes a trend, then it's more than just that one player.

How do you replace the 15 million a year safety with a fuck ton of dead cap space left?

Also I saw fuck ups on basic plays which leads me to believe the fucks were individual. You can't tell a professional NFL player doesnt know how yo touch a guy when he is down.

Or that a 10 year vet QB doesnt know that staring down a WR can cause problems. Look I agree with you geberally but let's not downplay the culpability and abject stupidity of the players in question.

Canth

Liked Posts:
How do you replace the 15 million a year safety with a fuck ton of dead cap space left?

Also I saw fuck ups on basic plays which leads me to believe the fucks were individual. You can't tell a professional NFL player doesnt know how yo touch a guy when he is down.

Or that a 10 year vet QB doesnt know that staring down a WR can cause problems. Look I agree with you geberally but let's not downplay the culpability and abject stupidity of the players in question.

Oh, I agree. The players are still the ones on the field and have to make the play.

But, that goes to my other main gripe (as I have said elsewhere) with this team under Nagy and that is there seems to be very little accountability. The coaches don't seem to hold players accountable for their play and the players are not holding themselves or teammates accountable either. They have appear to have a collective leadership void where no one is willing to address the lack of effort, energy, and just flat out stupid mistakes that get made in any meaningful way.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Well because you can't fix something if you don't know specifically what the issue is. No one is disputing Nagy is a bad coach as I have been saying that since 2018 when most were masturbating over his gimmicks.

The biggest issue right now is Dalton is not giving us what Nagy claimed he should. If Dalton made the decisions Nagy claimed he was capable of, we probably put up 27-35 points. He clearly missed a pass to Kmet that would have been a TD on the Int. That get us to 21 points. He also clearly missed Kmet on a crosser that puts us in FG range and then turned a 1st and 10 in FG range to 2nd and 25 by not pulling the trigger when he could have. So that was 6-14 more points.

I really dont think any of the above is disputable so the point is the gameplan and playcalling should have had us scoring 27-35 points. Nagy's failure thus appears to be mainly the choice of Dalton not the playcalling. Could he have thrown deep more? Yes. Does that change the fact that what he called should have yielded more points if Dalton wasnt a bozo? No.
The issue? The issue is Nagy is a bad fucking HC. You can simply [/thread] there. Yet you choose to delve into bad Andy Dalton. Preceded by bad Mitch Trubisky and bad Nick Foles.

FFS

That you think AD is the root cause of not scoring 27-35 points is the definition of football ignorant.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Well he ran it efficiently until he got in the opponent half and then he fucked it up royally on 3 separate occassions that cost us anyehere from 13 to 21 points.

If he continues to make those dumb mistakes in the opponent half then Fields should start.
It's as if you have never watched football before. I am gonna give you a few pointers to get you started.

- Yards get harder to come by as the team nears the goal line.

-Defenses play differently inside their own half of the field

-Some defenses theorize that if you give up small yardage and make an offense play more plays they will screw up on their own before scoring.

The Bears had this guy named Lovie Smith, he made millions doing exactly that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh, I agree. The players are still the ones on the field and have to make the play.

But, that goes to my other main gripe (as I have said elsewhere) with this team under Nagy and that is there seems to be very little accountability. The coaches don't seem to hold players accountable for their play and the players are not holding themselves or teammates accountable either. They have appear to have a collective leadership void where no one is willing to address the lack of effort, energy, and just flat out stupid mistakes that get made in any meaningful way.

Gipson already spoke out about the secondary fuck ups and took responsibility. I think the problem is Jackson not doing the same.

It is also hard to force accountability when you have no depth as benching Jackson and replacing him with say Bush probably results in cuting off your nose to spite your face.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's as if you have never watched football before. I am gonna give you a few pointers to get you started.

- Yards get harder to come by as the team nears the goal line.

-Defenses play differently inside their own half of the field

-Some defenses theorize that if you give up small yardage and make an offense play more plays they will screw up on their own before scoring.

The Bears had this guy named Lovie Smith, he made millions doing exactly that.

It's as if you didn't watch the football game. I am gonna give you a few pointers to get you started.

-The Int was an easy read that Dalton missed and should have been a TD.

-The 4th and 4 was an easy read with Kmet wide open that Dalton missed.

-Peters literally got stuck blocking no one on the other 4th down as he couldnt decide whether to help out on Donald or block the edge so he decided to do neither.

-On the 15 yard sack Dalton is looking at an open RB but doesnt throw it and Whitehair gets run over like roadkill.

In short I am fully aware that what you said generally occurs in the NFL. I am telling you in this specific situation the D didnt make it hard on the Bears. The Bears fucked up themselves.

Your argument is like saying it is generally hard to steal a car while ignoring that in this specific instance the car was left open with the keys inside. You are ignoring the reality of how easy the plays were that Dalton fucked up which is why you arent evening bother to watch the highlights I sent and dispute how easy those plays were.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Nagy is on his way to his 4th bottom 1/3 offense in 4 seasons with undisciplined play, poor decision making, bone head mistakes, and awful playcalls. He has done it with innumerable offensive personnel groupings. Now he has added, what appears to be an out of his depth DC to completely screw the pooch.

It's comical that you believe that Nagy is the victim here. I thought you were smarter than that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nagy is on his way to his 4th bottom 1/3 offense in 4 seasons with undisciplined play, poor decision making, bone head mistakes, and awful playcalls. He has done it with innumerable offensive personnel groupings. Now he has added, what appears to be an out of his depth DC to completely screw the pooch.

It's comical that you believe that Nagy is the victim here. I thought you were smarter than that.

I see you are still avoiding looking at the specific plays I mentioned and challenging anything I said.

Nagy sucks. Nagy put Dalton in position to score points in this one specific game. Those two sentences are not mutually exclusive.

Do you have any commentary on the actual plays I said Dalton and the OL messed up because this is starting to feel like a vortex where you keep running om but not addressing ghe specific things I said.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I skipped past and haven't read that horseshit. I saw the game and saw the same shitty play with just different names and the backs of the jerseys.

Nothing matters until Nagy is fired, period.