Matt Nagy can't learn, says he didn't roll Fields out more because that's what the Browns were expecting

Toast88

Liked Posts:
From the moment Justin Fields was drafted, Matt Nagy, Bill Lazor and the gang had to have been crafting plays specifically for Justin Fields. The Sun-Times' Patrick Finley said they created a proverbial rolodex of plays in the months since the draft, excited to use them.

Well, where were they?

If Nagy himself is to be believed, he left those plays on the Denny's menu because that's what the Browns were expecting. He intentionally didn't play to Fields' strengths, because he figured that's what the Browns were preparing for, he said after Sunday's loss.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Remember when the Bears inexplicably stopped using Cohen as a weapon in what could've been selective strategic moments because Nagy said other teams were gameplanning for it? A gadget running back is one thing, but now we're seeing it with a quarterback.

Justin Fields has a dead-aim on the run (usually). He can hurt you with his legs. He also---for better or worse---holds onto the ball too long. In what world should such a player just drop back 5-7 steps and stand in the pocket? What the heck are these plays?

Jason Lieser made the comment after the game that for all the talk of being excited for Fields to take first-team reps all week, for all the talk of being excited about Fields' unique repertoire, it sure looked like Nagy didn't want to use any of it. It sure looked like Nagy was calling plays for Andy Dalton.

It sure looked like Matt Nagy wants to turn Justin Fields into Andy Dalton.

Matt Nagy is incapable of learning. Quarterbacks come in, junk comes out. Play calls go in, junk comes out. Again. And again. And again.

He's manned one of the worst, if not the worst, offense in the NFL for going on four years now, and seems incapable or unwilling, or both, of adjusting that offense to the skills of his play-caller.

It's not getting better. Matt Nagy can't learn. And he can't coach this team. And I wouldn't trust him to coach *any* team.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The one time he did roll him out it was directly into a blitz while he sent his entire OL faking a different direction and without a TE to pull to at least hold off one blitzer. He was horrendously outcoached. This was Fields first NFL start, Nagy has zero excuses.

Dalton will be back next week to dink all game with maybe one dunk and lose to the Lions.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The one time he did roll him out it was directly into a blitz while he sent his entire OL faking a different direction and without a TE to pull to at least hold off one blitzer. He was horrendously outcoached. This was Fields first NFL start, Nagy has zero excuses.

Dalton will be back next week to dink all game with maybe one dunk and lose to the Lions.
He had a week to prepare knowing Fields was going to be the QB too, it’s fucking madness.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no doubt in my mind, that Nagy is going to get Fields seriously hurt..I only hope that Dalton gets well soon so Fields can ride the pine until Nagy gets fired.

No qualified coach would see how his tackles were getting abused, and give them no help.. So that his QB was getting repeatedly sacked

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
There is no doubt in my mind, that Nagy is going to get Fields seriously hurt..I only hope that Dalton gets well soon so Fields can ride the pine until Nagy gets fired.

No qualified coach would see how his tackles were getting abused, and give them no help.. So that his QB was getting repeatedly sacked
He’s not an OC, not a play caller, not a head coach. He’s a QB coach on his best day.

Wasting years with this clown is embarrassing. Sunk cost.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
He had a week to prepare knowing Fields was going to be the QB too, it’s fucking madness.
But the Browns "expected" him to prepare Fields, so he didn't...

*3rd and 1*
Nagy - Shotgun, hand off to Cohen up the gut.
Lazor - Sir, Cohen is on IR...
Nagy - Fuck, just false start then. Give me some more time to cook.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ken Blaze-USA TODAY Sports

Fans were asking if Matt Nagy purposely sabotaged the gameplan this week to ensure Justin Fields would remain the backup when Andy Dalton returns from injury. It's obviously not true, but considering how the offense looked and the plays that were called, it's a valid question, even if it's said in jest. Nagy was too conservative yet again at multiple times, didn't give his young quarterback a chance to succeed when it was clear the offensive line couldn't hold up, and just didn't seem prepared for an elite defense. It was one of the worst showings from a coach I've seen in a long time and it could be the beginning of the end for him.

" It was one of the worst showings from a coach I've seen in a long time and it could be the beginning of the end for him."

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

... it could be the beginning of the end for him.
Definitely not the beginning of the end, it's been beginning for quite some time. It would be too easy to point at this game as "the why" he got fired, when it just adds to it.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Fans were asking if Matt Nagy purposely sabotaged the gameplan this week to ensure Justin Fields would remain the backup when Andy Dalton returns from injury. It's obviously not true, but considering how the offense looked and the plays that were called, it's a valid question, even if it's said in jest. Nagy was too conservative yet again at multiple times, didn't give his young quarterback a chance to succeed when it was clear the offensive line couldn't hold up, and just didn't seem prepared for an elite defense. It was one of the worst showings from a coach I've seen in a long time and it could be the beginning of the end for him.

" It was one of the worst showings from a coach I've seen in a long time and it could be the beginning of the end for him."

Well KC put up 33 on Cleveland and the Texans with absolutely nothing and a 2nd and 3rd QB's passed for 250 yards. Is it an elite defense, really? Or was it the Bears, Nagy and Fields?

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:

Matt Nagy's play-calling: Matt Nagy's play-calling and decision-making have hurt the Bears' offense. It doesn't matter who is under center, Nagy doesn't call plays to the quarterback's skill set. He's too stubborn and his decision-making lacks that of an elite NFL head coach. The decision of the game that was missed was kicking a field goal inside the 15-yard line down 13-3. Defensive pass-rush success: The Bears' defense had back-to-back solid weeks. The pash-rush was successful, keeping Baker Mayfield uncomfortable all day. Khalil Mack and Robert Quinn both got to Mayfield multiple times, combining for 3.5 sacks on the day. Justin Fields' NFL debut: The debut of Justin Fields was supposed to mark a new "era" in Chicago and a new chapter in Matt Nagy's coaching career. Not much has changed, with the offense continuing to struggle and Fields being handcuffed by Nagy's play-calling. It was an ugly debut and there's a lot of work to be done on offense before they'll find any success.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Constant complaint of mine is that Nagy never dictates to a D and his playcalling is completely reactionary and predetermined before the game. Best play of the day was the PI that only got called because they couldn't allow the INT on that play. It's what I talked about in the rams game. You have to throw those. They are caught, incomplete, PI or INT. If an INT, it's our best punt of the day and a few of those throws tend to opens things up.

Rollouts, playaction double Garrett or both fucking ends with TE/backs if you have to. Do fucking something. They weren't on the genius's weekly play sheet because who would expect that D to start coming into their own. Some here sure did.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
He says the same sorry shit every time the offense looks totally inept.

but I’m not mad at naggy anymore. I’m not going to talk shit about pace anymore. Ownership said we are headed in the right direction after end of last season when these jokers were retained. Ownership has been the constant thing since the one lone super bowl win that has been holding this team back.