USA Today's NFL editor: 'Lazor revealed aspects of Fields' potential that Nagy clearly doesn't understand'

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Nagy is what he is (bad). The people who look like idiots now are the one's who refuse to replace Nagy entirely. They're morons or they just don't care about winning. And why should they? They have one of the most loyal fanbases to take advantage of.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Farrar is great. I was happy to hear him mention on the Bernstein show last week. This guy doesn’t get enough credit as an NFL head.
Agreed. And that's a really good rundown of Fields' best plays in that story in the original post. Farrar understands both the X's and O's, and palace intrigue.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
At this point, Matt Nagy only has one long shot to save his job and I don't think his ego will let him take it.

It isn't just going all in on Justin fields.

It's completely abandoning his playbook and on the fly re-adjusting the offense to completely suit what Justin Fields does best.

Only a real self evaluation and drastic change to maximize what you get from fields, and a commitment to it could possibly save his ass now.

But I think now he is so nervous about losing his job that his vision has gone myopic and he is just desperate to recreate what happened in 2008 to prove he is a genius and worth keeping, which ironically will only show that it is completely justified in firing this egotistic moron.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
At this point, Matt Nagy only has one long shot to save his job and I don't think his ego will let him take it.

It's completely abandoning his playbook and on the fly re-adjusting the offense to completely suit what Justin Fields does best.

Only a real self evaluation and drastic change to maximize what you get from fields, and a commitment to it could possibly save his ass now.

But I think now he is so nervous about losing his job that his vision has gone myopic and he is just desperate to recreate what happened in 2008 to prove he is a genius and worth keeping, which ironically will only show that it is completely justified in firing this egotistic moron.
I sort of get the feeling that Nagy thought he could use Dalton as an excuse this year to not get fired in the off season ("Hey, we promised him he'd start and by the time we honored our promise, the season was a lost cause but we sure did develop our rookie in the second half of the season and next year will be GREAT under me.").

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I sort of get the feeling that Nagy thought he could use Dalton as an excuse this year to not get fired in the off season ("Hey, we promised him he'd start and by the time we honored our promise, the season was a lost cause but we sure did develop our rookie in the second half of the season and next year will be GREAT under me.").

Oh, I'm sure HE'S thinking that. But I think he's the only one thinking it. What's been happening now is for the past 2 weeks since the Cleveland game, Nagy has been making an ass of himself and embarrassing the franchise with these weird press conferences that come off as some guy begging his employer through the media to keep his job.

I personally think its already too late - that he's dead man walking. BUT, even if that were the case, a dramatic reversal and the guts to see it through to the end MAY, MAY change minds by the end of the season if Fields can come along, and he's an active participant in that rather than along for the ride or worse (as it is right now), told to go sit in the back of the bus while someone else drives...

Brownie

Liked Posts:
With all of Nagy's pressers that I constantly post, I skipped this one just because I knew it would be really cringe-worthy. So I can't believe I missed this exchange:

Nagy was then asked whether Lazor would continue to call plays going forward, and that’s where he short-circuited. It’s an entirely reasonable question given the massive uptick in Fields’ performance with Lazor at the wheel, but he wasn’t having it.

“Like I said — you’re unbelievable. You try — listen, I hope you understand, I get it. I get it. I get it. But just know, like that’s it. No more with this.”

OMG! I died laughing when I read "he short-circuited" lmaao!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

I wonder how many defensive players would even volunteer to run Santa's Little Helper and all of the fluff pieces Nagy ran in 2018.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I like how after what happened in 2019, Nagy basically said that he was going to spend the offseason being introspective. And here it is, 2021, and he can't even admit that he has not been good as a playcaller, and give full credit to someone that puts this team in a much better position to succeed. He basically has to be forced into it, meanwhile frantically reminding everyone that everything still goes through him.

I fully expect Nagy to take back playcalling at some point. Now that he's failed as a playcaller and been forced to give up those duties more than once, you'd think he'd realize that he should just be done with that. Instead, he says stuff like, "calling plays is something I love doing". (like he did before the season started)

As much as I appreciate Lazor putting Fields in a position to succeed, I really hope it doesn't help save Nagy's job.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I like how after what happened in 2019, Nagy basically said that he was going to spend the offseason being introspective. And here it is, 2021, and he can't even admit that he has not been good as a playcaller, and give full credit to someone that puts this team in a much better position to succeed. He basically has to be forced into it, meanwhile frantically reminding everyone that everything still goes through him.

I fully expect Nagy to take back playcalling at some point. Now that he's failed as a playcaller and been forced to give up those duties more than once, you'd think he'd realize that he should just be done with that. Instead, he says stuff like, "calling plays is something I love doing". (like he did before the season started)

As much as I appreciate Lazor putting Fields in a position to succeed, I really hope it doesn't help save Nagy's job.

I honestly would not be shocked if the current "arrangement" is that when Dalton comes back/plays, Nagy will call the plays.

I think that is the reason he is so stuck on Dalton coming back + he's obsessed (much like he was with Foles before that went tits up) with having his hand-picked QB finally execute HIS scheme to perfection and show the World how great it is.

Someone said recently that dude is so full of himself that he has lost touch with reality, and what it takes to actually WIN with this team. I truly believe that. He's blinded by his hubris in his scheme and obsessed with that one, fraction of the team (his version of the offense that he has been envisioning for the past 4 years) that he would put the team as a whole at risk.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I honestly would not be shocked if the current "arrangement" is that when Dalton comes back/plays, Nagy will call the plays.

I think that is the reason he is so stuck on Dalton coming back + he's obsessed (much like he was with Foles before that went tits up) with having his hand-picked QB finally execute HIS scheme to perfection and show the World how great it is.

Someone said recently that dude is so full of himself that he has lost touch with reality, and what it takes to actually WIN with this team. I truly believe that. He's blinded by his hubris in his scheme and obsessed with that one, fraction of the team (his version of the offense that he has been envisioning for the past 4 years) that he would put the team as a whole at risk.

It's precisely what you said is the reason why I don't believe he can save his job or anyone can for that matter.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
There was a thread a few weeks ago about which head coach in recent history was the worse, and I think people generally said it was Trestman. Nagy is clearly the worst hands down. Just think how bad things would have been if Cutler was Nagy's QB and Brandon Marshall was poisoning the locker room. Trestman had his warts, but he was also given a terrible hand by Phil Emery. Trestman would actually have given Trubisky a better chance at a successful career and probably would have been great for Fields.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
It's precisely what you said is the reason why I don't believe he can save his job or anyone can for that matter.
Only thing that would not shock me is if this 'plan' has been discussed and totally signed off on by the 3 stooges above him responsible for hiring and firing. It would be wrong, but I would not be shocked if they all speak regularly and are cool with exactly how things are going.

Oh and the fact that they made a promise to AD that he would be the starter when he signed, and those 5 ppl (George, Sweaty, Pace, Nagy and AD) see that as some binding business agreement that can't be broken.

From that angle, the only thing that might change any of that is if the fans start to fuck with business.

Last edited:

Brownie

Liked Posts:
There was a thread a few weeks ago about which head coach in recent history was the worse, and I think people generally said it was Trestman. Nagy is clearly the worst hands down. Just think how bad things would have been if Cutler was Nagy's QB and Brandon Marshall was poisoning the locker room. Trestman had his warts, but he was also given a terrible hand by Phil Emery. Trestman would actually have given Trubisky a better chance at a successful career and probably would have been great for Fields.
Trestman def had a terrible hand. And people forget how salty the Defense was as a whole when Lovie was let go. The next man was never gonna get any love from them and he sure didn't. Just saying..

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Trestman def had a terrible hand. And people forget how salty the Defense was as a whole when Lovie was let go. The next man was never gonna get any love from them and he sure didn't. Just saying..
They may have been pissed over lovie but trestman was a nut job

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Only thing that would not shock me is if this 'plan' has been discussed and totally signed off on by the 3 stooges above him responsible for hiring and firing. It would be wrong, but I would not be shocked if they all speak regularly and are cool with exactly how things are going.

Oh and the fact that they made a promise to AD that he would be the starter when he signed, and those 5 ppl (George, Sweaty, Pace, Nagy and AD) see that as some binding business agreement that can't be broken.

From that angle, the only thing that might change any of that is if the fans start to fuck with business.

The Matt Nagy press conferences sort of undermine your theory.

He doesn't go out there meandering and sounding like he's begging for his job and begging for credit if his position is solid.

All this crazy over the edge of babbling sounds like a coach who knows he's gone at the end of the season

Brownie

Liked Posts:
The Matt Nagy press conferences sort of undermine your theory.

He doesn't go out there meandering and sounding like he's begging for his job and begging for credit if his position is solid.

All this crazy over the edge of babbling sounds like a coach who knows he's gone at the end of the season

I think its because he knows that he can't out-talk the masses (fans/media), and it kills him because he's such a bro that NEEDS the world to know his genius, and how good of a guy he is. And it's the total opposite: WE all think he's out of his league.

BUT, he can still talk his way into the pants and minds of George-Sweaty-Pace. They all can't get enough of each other.

This is a horrible situation to be in as a fan.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think its because he knows that he can't out-talk the masses (fans/media), and it kills him because he's such a bro that NEEDS the world to know his genius, and how good of a guy he is. And it's the total opposite: WE all think he's out of his league.

BUT, he can still talk his way into the pants and minds of George-Sweaty-Pace. They all can't get enough of each other.

This is a horrible situation to be in as a fan.

I still think you are arguing against yourself a bit here - you SEE it, but then your Bears pathos sets in. Not that I blame you, but here's how I see it, and I've been watching since 93:

The McCaskeys hate to be embarrassed and HATE negative NATIONAL media attention on them and their team. They really couldn't give a shit about local, but NATIONAL gets the gears turning.

After Justin Fields' start in Cleveland, the monolith that is the National Media has gone FULL FORCE on Matt Nagys ass and will not let up - I mean, I've seen some shit before here and there, but even during the Trestman shit, when we were just the butt of some national jokes, I have never, EVER seen the National media this LIVID, and LASER-FOCUSED on Matt Nagy.

Its the kind of thing that makes this organization make a change.

Now that alone would usually be enough. But there's more.

Nagy's press conferences are feeding the national press even further, showing a coach that appears to be having a week to week degenerative mental breakdown over losing this job, combined with thinking in some sort of sad desperation that if he can just PROVE his genius with Andy Dalton, that SOMEHOW, that would be enough to save his job. And it makes him look unstable, and unfit to be a head coach.

Then you have some outside factors that ABSOLUTELY could play a part here - the Bears interest in Arlington Heights, AND the rumors that the next generation of McCaskey kids want NOTHING to do with the football operation, and want their parents to sell.

IF the Bears are seriously going to try to sell, then it is in their best interest to drive up the value of the franchise as high as possible, and don't worry about debt because the buyer will inherit it anyway.

The stadium is a great way to do that, as is making a splash for head coach to develop your new quarterback.

NOTHING about Matt Nagy improves the value of the franchise. In fact, right now he is an IMPEDEMENT.

So, I think there is enough smoke there, that there is no way Nagy is the head coach going into 2022..