2021-2022 Around the NBA Thread

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Iggy called out the NBA on Kyrie not being top 75. I mean I dont think he is wrong but is he? Top 75 all time, Kyries is probably more skilled than 50 or so easily. Kyrie is an absolute monster but he has a mind people dont like. What yall say?

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Iggy called out the NBA on Kyrie not being top 75. I mean I dont think he is wrong but is he? Top 75 all time, Kyries is probably more skilled than 50 or so easily. Kyrie is an absolute monster but he has a mind people dont like. What yall say?

Kyrie has barely played one full nba season . Its hard to claim you should be on a all time lst when you are only available to play 40-60 % of the time

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It’d be an insult to a lot of great players of the past to put kyrie ahead of them. But, we live in a society where all that matters is the now, so it’s not shocking that people think he should be in there.

what point guards does he think kyrie is better than that are on the list would be my question?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I agree with you on his skills/talent.. but just the amount of games he missed coupled with all the bullshit, doesn't make me want to include him.

I think his leadership skills are poor. He's best as a second fiddle and not the man. I think he can thrive in Brooklyn, if he can stay healthy, which is a very large question.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It’d be an insult to a lot of great players of the past to put kyrie ahead of them. But, we live in a society where all that matters is the now, so it’s not shocking that people think he should be in there.

what point guards does he think kyrie is better than that are on the list would be my question?
I'm no Kyrie fan, but he should have been on the list ahead of the following:
Damian Lillard
Anthony Davis
Steve Nash
Paul Pierce
Gary Payton

Beyond that, it's ok to have taken older dudes of the list, such as:
Lenny Wilkens
Robert Parish
Jerry Lucas
Nate Archibald

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm no Kyrie fan, but he should have been on the list ahead of the following:
Damian Lillard
Anthony Davis
Steve Nash
Paul Pierce
Gary Payton

Beyond that, it's ok to have taken older dudes of the list, such as:
Lenny Wilkens
Robert Parish
Jerry Lucas
Nate Archibald

well, they purposely kept the 50 guys from the top 50 list in 1996. So you can’t expect him to bump any of them

AD and pierce play totally different positions, but I’d say they are both more deserving than Kyrie

Nash is a 2X NBA MVP, right? So yeah, nash goes over kyrie easily

payton was a dominant defensive PG that could also score. Kyrie doesn’t really play defense(yes, I know…different eras)

Lillard is the one you can make a legit case over on the credentials. But, Kyrie has never been “the guy” and “couldn’t play with lebron,” while Lillard has stayed in Portland the whole time as the guy. Sure, they haven’t made it to the finals though

so I could see a case for Kyrie over Lillard. But I honestly think Lillard is the better player

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
well, they purposely kept the 50 guys from the top 50 list in 1996. So you can’t expect him to bump any of them

AD and pierce play totally different positions, but I’d say they are both more deserving than Kyrie

payton was a dominant defensive PG that could also score. Kyrie doesn’t really play defense(yes, I know…different eras)

Lillard is the one you can make a legit case over on the credentials. But, Kyrie has never been “the guy” and “couldn’t play with lebron,” while Lillard has stayed in Portland the whole time as the guy. Sure, they haven’t made it to the finals though

so I could see a case for Kyrie over Lillard. But I honestly think Lillard is the better player
I pretty much agree with this.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Gary Payton was a dominant PG for his day... two All-NBA 1sts, and many 2nd and 3rd All-NBA teams. 7 1st All-D teams , another 2nd All-D team... DPOY in 95-96.. the only thing the Sonics lacked was some more playoff success minus the 95-96 season where they did make the Finals.

Kyrie won ROY, has one All-NBA 2nd, and two All-NBA 3rds. And is injured all the time. There is no way I put Kyrie anywhere near Payton.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Did they make distinctions on positions? If they did, then I have a hard time believing that Kyrie isn't a top 15 PG of all time.

As for Nash's MVPs. Shaq got screwed in 05, and Lebron got screwed in 06.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Did they make distinctions on positions? If they did, then I have a hard time believing that Kyrie isn't a top 15 PG of all time.

As for Nash's MVPs. Shaq got screwed in 05, and Lebron got screwed in 06.
I don’t believe they did. Either way, there’s probably about 15 point guards on the list.

in 75 years, that’s a lot of competition to get on the list. Kyrie not being one of the top 75 players over 75 years of basketball isn’t a slap in the face by any means. He’s a great player despite being a dumbass

you can claim a player got one MVP by “luck,” but two MVP’s? Cmon, nash was an amazing player whether you wanna admit it or not. Absolutely deserving of being on the list

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don’t believe they did. Either way, there’s probably about 15 point guards on the list.

in 75 years, that’s a lot of competition to get on the list. Kyrie not being one of the top 75 players over 75 years of basketball isn’t a slap in the face by any means. He’s a great player despite being a dumbass

you can claim a player got one MVP by “luck,” but two MVP’s? Cmon, nash was an amazing player whether you wanna admit it or not. Absolutely deserving of being on the list
MVP vote between Nash/Shaq is close in 04-05.. in 05-06, LeBron is a distant 2nd.

I do remember talks of it being pretty hard to decide who was actually MVP those two seasons.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
MVP vote between Nash/Shaq is close in 04-05.. in 05-06, LeBron is a distant 2nd.

I do remember talks of it being pretty hard to decide who was actually MVP those two seasons.
Sure, lebron would win it most years then. Just like jordan would of. But just like in the past, they tend to give it to guys whose teams make a big jump or a guy with a big year that hasn’t won it before

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

I'm not suggesting Nash wasn't a great player. I am suggesting that he isn't a top 75 player of all-time, two MVPs be damned. In the same way you say 75 years is a lot of competition to keep Kyrie off the list, is the same thing I would argue for Nash to not be included on that list.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think the bigger snub is Dwight Howard.

Reactions: BNB

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Kyrie is certainly a better individual talent than Nash, but Nash was an incredibly smart basketball player and made everyone on his team better, while also being a great shooter himself. Nash reminds me of Chris Paul in the impact he had on teammates

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's so hard to remember how good he was because he's been so mediocre/bad for such a long time
Yup, which is probably why he got left off.. But he was pretty damn good in his Orlando days.