An Offensive Line question

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I not the greatest judge of line and talent on the line, but my first thinking is, we we have a new staff next season, to you guys is everyone's job on the line on that line. I know we have some alright to decent pieces, but I feel NONE of them are good enough to out right keep their job. Throwing the cap out of the process and how many solid draft picks we have, I'm wondering if the next coach should just tell everyone who is on that roaster next year, "There are 22 spots on that are up for grabs. You had a spot here last year, you better fight like hell to keep it. Best player plays and that is that."

Because it's clear to mean they fail to look up who really is the best play to play if Simmons was out there and Bars replaces him and does overall better at all aspects of blocking than he does.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
The arrow is pointing up and they really bonded close this week. They trust each other and they're figuring out the "whys." It's a process and it takes time to understand this complex offense. This was one loss and they're still a contender. Everything runs through Nagy unless it's bad and then it's really not bad but a positive thing that you just don't understand. And why are you talking about the O-Line when you should be talking about OUR NEW STADIUM in Arlington!!!!! How awesome is that? And how many jerseys and t-shirts with the Arlington logo do you plan to buy for your family??

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Certainly, Bars out played Wilkinson at RT yesterday, but not sure that's saying much. Wilkinson about got Fields killed, multiple times. Hopefully, both Jenkins and Borom will come in at some point and solidify the Tackle positions. I can see the Bears spending some draft capital on a new Center next year though. Guard spots, though I wish they would be more consistent have been better. Peters has actually been solid in pass pro at LT but how much gas does that old man still have in the tank?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Well, Daniels, Peters, Ifedi, and Mustipher are all free agents at the end of this year.

There is a very good chance we have 4 new starting linemen next season. Out of that bunch daniels is the only one they probably bring back.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Certainly, Bars out played Wilkinson at RT yesterday, but not sure that's saying much. Wilkinson about got Fields killed, multiple times. Hopefully, both Jenkins and Borom will come in at some point and solidify the Tackle positions. I can see the Bears spending some draft capital on a new Center next year though. Guard spots, though I wish they would be more consistent have been better. Peters has actually been solid in pass pro at LT but how much gas does that old man still have in the tank?

Easy to out play a guy who isn't with the team due to covid.

The starting RT yesterday was Pig Simmons, the scrub 7th rounder we drafted last year. And yea, whoever made the call to start that scrub over Bars should be fired.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Easy to out play a guy who isn't with the team due to covid.

The starting RT yesterday was Pig Simmons, the scrub 7th rounder we drafted last year. And yea, whoever made the call to start that scrub over Bars should be fired.
Damn, I kept trying to see the back of the jersey but his hair was too long and in the way. Yea, definitely a baaaad move.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Well, Daniels, Peters, Ifedi, and Mustipher are all free agents at the end of this year.

There is a very good chance we have 4 new starting linemen next season. Out of that bunch daniels is the only one they probably bring back.
Releasing Whitehair post June 1st will save $8,100,000 in cap space. It seems like a no brainer.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Damn, I kept trying to see the back of the jersey but his hair was too long and in the way. Yea, definitely a baaaad move.

Well, to be fair, he was the expected starter up until like 2 hours before gametime. Even fields didn't know his starting RT would be out until right before kickoff. Thats embarrassing.

If it were me I'd basically get rid of everyone and start fresh, but if it were me we would have drafted a bunch of linemen the last 3 years since it was clear it was the worst position group on this team.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In 2018 the Bears Line was ranked in the top 10 so it made sense that was to be considered a strength... but they still needed depth and I felt not drafting after that year hurt major.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Now, do we pay Armstead close to $25 million AAV and draft guys at guard and center?

Or do we spread out that money, sign a guard and center, and use a draft pick on a tackle?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I not the greatest judge of line and talent on the line, but my first thinking is, we we have a new staff next season, to you guys is everyone's job on the line on that line. I know we have some alright to decent pieces, but I feel NONE of them are good enough to out right keep their job. Throwing the cap out of the process and how many solid draft picks we have, I'm wondering if the next coach should just tell everyone who is on that roaster next year, "There are 22 spots on that are up for grabs. You had a spot here last year, you better fight like hell to keep it. Best player plays and that is that."

Because it's clear to mean they fail to look up who really is the best play to play if Simmons was out there and Bars replaces him and does overall better at all aspects of blocking than he does.
Simmons was brought up from the PS and has always been a fringe player. They were trying to keep Bars free to play extra blocker and be available inside if needed. Simmons proved incapable and practice doesn't always show that. Fortunately, Bars held up better.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Wilkinson was out for covid protocols, Bars outplayed Simmons, who should probably be released today. He is not talented enough to play in the NFL.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Someone had brought up Bozeman, playing C for BAL but had been playing G. C is his natural position and he is playing extremely well. If Bal let’s him walk, sign him. The Bears need a tried and established C.

Bring back Daniels, cut Whitehair post 6/1 and save that cap. Sign or draft a high quality G.

Make moves to try and land Trevor Penning in the draft.

Let Jenkins play at his more natural position of RT and hope he pans out.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Someone had brought up Bozeman, playing C for BAL but had been playing G. C is his natural position and he is playing extremely well. If Bal let’s him walk, sign him. The Bears need a tried and established C.

Bring back Daniels, cut Whitehair post 6/1 and save that cap. Sign or draft a high quality G.

Yea, if he's healthy I don't see how Jenkins won't be guaranteed a starting spot considering the grade the organization had on him.

Question is if he will ever be healthy. With him and Borom hopefully the answer at RT is already in house.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:

I'm on board for this. Sign an experienced swing tackle like Matt Pryor as well. I'd probably prefer to trade down to collect more picks though. Keep an eye on Bernhard Raimann in the draft.

discplayer

Liked Posts:

I agree. I do think, coming from Iowa, where he played C for three seasons, Daniels has more upside and a better pedigree than the others you listed. I think he's better and more athletic than Whitehair, too.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I would like to see Simmons cut or sent down to PS and elevate Dieter Eiselen, he had some good reps in preseason, and if memory serves me correct he played both Center and Guard.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Releasing Whitehair post June 1st will save $8,100,000 in cap space. It seems like a no brainer.

why dump whitehair? his cap hit is 12.3 with 8.1 saved but 4.2 in dead cap as post june 1st, unless the new regime plans to move to a power rbs he fits fine in a zbs...

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I read Daniels has been quite good in run blocking this year, but does anyone know how his pass pro has been? It just seems like the whole OL gets walked back on nearly every single pass rep. But they seem to run block well? I can’t figure out how that can happen.