Rick Smith (former Texans GM) had to fight O'Brien to draft DeShaun Watson

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This guy was one of the better GMs in the NFL for a solid decade when he ran the Houston Texans from 2006 to 2017. During that time he secured a boatload of talent for his team including Mario Williams, Duane Brown, Brandon Brooks, J.J. Watt, DeAndre Hopkins, and Deshaun Watson among many others. He never stopped being good at his job.

rick-smith-deshaun-watsonjpg.jpg

rick-smith-wifejpg.jpg

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Okay. Point?
Sign him! lol If he'll come out of retirement he quit because his wife got cancer she's now passed away.

He interviewed last year with the Falcons, Lions, and Jaguars and has been rumored to the XFL.

Last edited:

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So the Falcons, Lions and Jaguars all looked at him and said no way! That should tell us something.

Really because the Jaguars and Lions made some TERRIBLE decisions in the off season but yeah it's hard to get him out of retirement he's young but has had a 17 year career as an NFL executive.

Heads up he wasn't fired he quit/retired because his wife going through breast cancer.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah but did he draft late round gems like Kindle Vildor or Trevis Gipson?

He retired when his wife got sick with cancer and eventually passed away but was one of the best GM's in the NFL. It'll cost the Bears a lot to bring him out of retirement.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
This guy was one of the better GMs in the NFL for a solid decade when he ran the Houston Texans from 2006 to 2017. During that time he secured a boatload of talent for his team including Mario Williams, Duane Brown, Brandon Brooks, J.J. Watt, DeAndre Hopkins, and Deshaun Watson among many others. He never stopped being good at his job.

rick-smith-deshaun-watsonjpg.jpg

rick-smith-wifejpg.jpg

I agree…

Last edited:

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He retired when his wife got sick with cancer and eventually passed away but was one of the best GM's in the NFL. It'll cost the Bears a lot to bring him out of retirement.
I'll throw in a couple hundred dollars if it helps the McCs

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He'd be a great hire.....and likely wants nothing to do with this ownership group and roster.
If George ever steps down he'd be my pick. XFL is trying to offer him a ton of money to run 'Football Operations' at the XFL.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Just to clarify, it was Charlie Casserly who drafted Mario Williams...

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep. Even the worst know he isn’t the guy.
Or the worse don't know what tf they're doing and remain losers.

He stepped down to care for his wife. Look at the dumpster created by the next gm.