Albert Breer: Scouts on Redraft - Fields goes No. 2?

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think so. Scouts don't draft on production alone. Jones has the potential to be very good but he's also system dependent. Not as pliable as some of the other QBs.

I understand, I am actually friends with a couple of MLB scouts and amazed at how they go about analyzing things versus the way we do. But NE's offense struggled last year and at the moment their offense is as good as anybodys, and most people have to google to even know who their receivers and running backs actually are. Mac Jones doesn't need to be scouted. He is becoming a top 10 QB now, the scouting is over.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Jones is solid, but he hasn't been spectacular by any stretch. And he is in by far the best situation of any rookie.

I like him quite a bit, I think more than most early on in the process. But no way does he go before Lawrence and Fields in a redraft at this point.

The biggest thing since the draft imo is that Zach Wilson looks like a bust. Everyone else moves up a spot and he slides down.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Zero way mac jones goes over lawrence.

You could make a case that he goes 2nd in a redraft, but not every NFL team values his traits the same. He's perfect for the scheme that the pats run.

Im fairly certain you could drop him on the jets and he'd look like poopy. Very happy for the young man tho, it was literally the ideal landing spot for his career success.
I think it's fair to say that Mac was as NFL ready as any QB, maybe even moreso. Add that to how he went to a solid team with a great coach compared to the shit show that Lawrence, Wilson and Fields had to walk in (at least offensively).

msadows

Liked Posts:
I think it's fair to say that Mac was as NFL ready as any QB, maybe even moreso. Add that to how he went to a solid team with a great coach compared to the shit show that Lawrence, Wilson and Fields had to walk in (at least offensively).

Yup, jones has the lowest ceiling of the 5 as well based on his skill set.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Jones is solid, but he hasn't been spectacular by any stretch. And he is in by far the best situation of any rookie.

I like him quite a bit, I think more than most early on in the process. But no way does he go before Lawrence and Fields in a redraft at this point.

The biggest thing since the draft imo is that Zach Wilson looks like a bust. Everyone else moves up a spot and he slides down.

He got taken by the Jets. You could tell he was gonna suck balls the moment they announced him starter week 1.

A lot of being a successful nfl player isn't just on you, its also where you get drafted.

I think a lot of people don't take that part into account. It's also why I'm very excited from what I have seen from justin thus far. His head coach is a moron, and we have a terrible scheme, but he's still flashing early. That speaks volumes for his potential.

Last edited:

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He got taken by the Jets. You could tell he was gonna suck balls the moment they announced him starter week 1.

A lot of being a successful nfl player isn't just on you, its also where you get drafted.

I think a lot of people don't take that part into account. It's also why I'm very excited from what I have seen from justin thus far. His head coach is a moron, and we have a terrible scheme, but he's still flashing early. That speaks volumes for his potential.
Is this your way of trying to justify acting like he was the next coming while also blaming his failures on the Jets?

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Obviously the Jets don't help but he hasn't looked ready at all. Plus when you get Mike White leading them to victory with 400+ yards and dominating, that kinda calls him into question as well.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
TL, Mac and Fields all had the skins on the wall in big time college programs. TL was the "full package". Mac had the insane accuracy. Fields had the insane physical traits. These three should have gone 1,2,3 in the draft in any order.

Drafting Lance that high still just blows my freaking mind. I didn't get it then. Don't get it now. Wilson I'm a little more understanding on that.
I agree and think long term Fields will be the best of the group. Wonder if all the heat the Bears got on Mitch will be directed at all the other teams misses? Tua, Baker, Lance the list goes on. ALL teams make mistakes but for some reason Bears take the most heat.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Yup, jones has the lowest ceiling of the 5 as well based on his skill set.
I think people should start coming around on Mac Jones and stop devaluing him because he isn’t a running QB or have that freakish athleticism. The guy is getting it done as a rookie regardless of what team he plays for (which by the way we’ve seen other QBs for the patriots other than Brady not plays so well).

There will always be a place for QBs who aren’t athletic but can just play the position, obvious examples are Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Ben, and so on.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
Obviously the Jets don't help but he hasn't looked ready at all. Plus when you get Mike White leading them to victory with 400+ yards and dominating, that kinda calls him into question as well.

One game....plenty of scrubs do well when they aren't gameplanned for.

What did mike white do this week?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
One game....plenty of scrubs do well when they aren't gameplanned for.

What did mike white do this week?
More than Wilson has.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think people should start coming around on Mac Jones and stop devaluing him because he isn’t a running QB or have that freakish athleticism. The guy is getting it done as a rookie regardless of what ye he plays for (which by the way we’ve seen other QBs for the patriots other than Brady not plays so well).

There will always be a place for QBs who aren’t athletic but can just play the position, obvious examples are Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Ben, and so on.

Yes and your obvious example in the last paragraph are all on the list of greatest QBs ever.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Mac Jones is averaging 230 yards, 1.3TD and .7 int. And he's playing for one of the best coaches in history with a solid running game and OL.

He looks good, for sure, but this isn't like Deshawn Watson's rookie season.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Mac Jones is averaging 230 yards, 1.3TD and .7 int. And he's playing for one of the best coaches in history with a solid running game and OL.

He looks good, for sure, but this isn't like Deshawn Watson's rookie season.
How often does that narrative swing though, BB as the "best coach ever" to "just lucky to have had Tom Brady" ?

But agree, he isn't putting up a season like Watson or Herbert. But neither are Fields and Lawrence (very far from it lol)

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Yes and your obvious example in the last paragraph are all on the list of greatest QBs ever.
And which list do you think is larger, unathletic greatest QBs ever, or uber athletic greatest QBs ever?

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And which list do you think is larger, unathletic greatest QBs ever, or uber athletic greatest QBs ever?

Actually never thought about it, but looking at lists right now, the non-running quarterbacks have it by a landslide. Maybe that changes going forward, but I will add once the running QB inevitably starts to lose his legs, the downside in overall play is dramatic.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
How often does that narrative swing though, BB as the "best coach ever" to "just lucky to have had Tom Brady" ?

But agree, he isn't putting up a season like Watson or Herbert. But neither are Fields and Lawrence (very far from it lol)
I think they were always a well run team. I also think McDaniels is a great OC and Jones is a great match.

Remains to be seem what his ceiling is. I did like him quite a bit as a prospect but as other have stated he is pretty scheme specific.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think they were always a well run team. I also think McDaniels is a great OC and Jones is a great match.

Remains to be seem what his ceiling is. I did like him quite a bit as a prospect but as other have stated he is pretty scheme specific.
Same. He's just not a fit for what most teams do. McDaniels system is reliant on quick and accurate passes and everyone has to know what theyre doing an be on time. Heavy on RB screens and TE play, which is why BB has always seemed to favor those positions more than WR.

Watching the pats and Bears is night and day. No one knows what they're doing on the Bears, not even the vets. Its unorganized chaos all the time. It also helps the Pats have an elite defense and they're always right in the game.

I just don't think Jones is talented enough to merit all of the re-drafted top 1-3 pick talk. Like you said, scheme specific. I couldn't see Mac in Chicago making big plays out of nothing on a regular.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Agreed on the Pats. They don't have any star players on offense, a rookie QB, and somehow are in the middle of the pack in offensive production. Pretty amazing really. They run a great system.

Mac does deliver the ball accurately and quickly and I won't take that away from him. He is just going to need good protection his entire career and he may get that in NE.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Is this your way of trying to justify acting like he was the next coming while also blaming his failures on the Jets?

I've been pretty consistent about saying zach wilson is going to suck once the jets picked him. I liked the prospect, but the jets are just awful.

Fairly certain they'd fuck up trevor also.
Same. He's just not a fit for what most teams do. McDaniels system is reliant on quick and accurate passes and everyone has to know what theyre doing an be on time. Heavy on RB screens and TE play, which is why BB has always seemed to favor those positions more than WR.

Watching the pats and Bears is night and day. No one knows what they're doing on the Bears, not even the vets. Its unorganized chaos all the time. It also helps the Pats have an elite defense and they're always right in the game.

I just don't think Jones is talented enough to merit all of the re-drafted top 1-3 pick talk. Like you said, scheme specific. I couldn't see Mac in Chicago making big plays out of nothing on a regular.

Mac would be dead if he were in chicago RN.