Report: Matt Nagy met with Bears ownership Tuesday before canceling rest of day's meetings

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
November 23, 2021 9:09 pm CT

If there was a word to describe the events that unfolded with the Chicago Bears on Tuesday, it’s dysfunction. Then again, that’s nothing new for this franchise.
At the center of the chaos was head coach Matt Nagy, whose hot seat is about the hottest it can get. Following an unconfirmed report from Patch.com that noted Nagy was informed he’d be fired after Thursday’s game against the Detroit Lions, there were a number of players and coaches that had to address questions about it to some degree.

Nagy denied the report saying it’s “not accurate” and that he never met with ownership while players and coaches sung Nagy’s praises as part of what appeared to be damage control unfolding at Halas Hall.
But according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, Nagy met with Bears ownership somewhere in between meeting with the media and before the team’s second walkthrough on Tuesday afternoon.
“While Nagy told media during his midday news conference he was not scheduled to meet with his bosses this week — not surprising considering the quick turnaround for the Thanksgiving Day game — he told players after the walk-through that he did have a “productive” meeting with ownership, sources said.”
According to Biggs, Nagy also canceled the rest of Tuesday’s meetings after the walkthrough after telling players about his meeting with ownership, which was about “them moving forward.”
But he didn’t explain his status, which reportedly left some players angry that he didn’t address the report about his firing.
“Sometime between saying that and heading to the Walter Payton Center for the second walk-through, Nagy did meet with ownership, according to sources. Those sources said Nagy told players that it was about them moving forward and that no one knows what tomorrow will bring, and they said he broke down the team on “family.”
“He did not shed any light on his status, the sources said, which left some players angry that he didn’t address the report head on, less than 48 hours before the team will try to end a five-game losing streak against the winless Lions (0-9-1) in a nationally televised game.”
Nagy “offered little to make players believe he will be around much longer, leaving at least some players dismayed at the organization’s lack of direction.”
Where things currently stand, Nagy is still the head coach of the Bears. Whether that changes later this week could very well depend on the outcome of the Bears’ Thanksgiving game against the Lions.

List​

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
That last sentence though lol. How can a victory over the winless lions change anything? Or is it more, if he loses to Det he'll be fired before dinner on Thursday...if he wins he makes it until Monday? What am I missing...?

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
I cannot wait to hear the spin put on this by the Bears, it ought to be the best comedy I have herd all year.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
What does " broke down the team on “family" mean?
Instead of chanting "team" or "Bears," it was Nagy's belief and hope that the players would talk to George for him, on his behalf. He was radicalizing the players to attempt a coup in which Nagy would be installed as GM, President and Head Coach. Thus, "1, 2, 3, FAMILY."

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That last sentence though lol. How can a victory over the winless lions change anything? Or is it more, if he loses to Det he'll be fired before dinner on Thursday...if he wins he makes it until Monday? What am I missing...?

Missing that the McCaskeys are gutless, and think its better optics to fire a coach after a loss than a win.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Being evasive with the media is one thing (many coaches do that), but it's pretty hilarious that Nagy speaks in innuendos and generalities even behind closed doors, to the point where even his own players are fed up with it. I can give him somewhat of a pass doing that with the media, but once you do that with players behind closed doors, you're done. I do feel bad for him and think he's a decent guy, but he has no idea how to be a head coach in any capacity.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is a shitstain on the organisation. If they let him go before the end of the year, before tomorrow became that time. At this point, anything but finishing the season with Nagy will make the Bear appear a dis-organisation.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Nagy's gone sometime after Thursday's game, and it is all speculation as to when that will happen. The good news for Bears fans is that he won't be the HC in 2022, the bad news was he should not have been the HC in 2021. Bears FO as usual is a year to late on this matter. This situation reminds of when the Rams let Jeff Fisher hang on for another year just because they were moving from St. Louis to LA.............everyone knew at the time he was just a lame duck coach.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I still have a shitty feeling Pace will be sticking with the team. He might be promoted out of the GM role, but based on his track record should we have any faith that he can pick a GM or head coach?

Monster

Liked Posts:
I don’t care for Nagy as a coach and will be happy to see him go.
That said… if he is canned after Thursday, that’s a pretty low class shit way to do it.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Nagy to Media: “ It’s not true, just a rumor.”
Pace : *clears throat loudly*

ryan-pace-peeking-chicago-bears.gif

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I still have a shitty feeling Pace will be sticking with the team. He might be promoted out of the GM role, but based on his track record should we have any faith that he can pick a GM or head coach?
If he is promoted he will pick someone in house to replace him. He overhauled the scouting department so it’s all “his guys”. Doubt they go outside the franchise for next gm.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Think about it like this:

Let’s say you’re Nagy and you truly haven’t been told you’re fired.

Don’t you demand a meeting the same day with ownership to see exactly where you stand? That’s what this smells like.

Doesn’t necessarily mean anything one way or the other.

Bust

Liked Posts:
There is a lot of pressure on Nagy this week. Lions are winless. Bears lose this one the noise will be 100 fold with a long off week which will be the hot topic on sports talk, lol. Mitch has got to be loving this shit! Good for him!!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not really but could he do worse than what came before? Would be good to have a Bears football guy instead of outsiders hire the next GM.