Bears Head Coach Considerations

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Like has been mentioned, Belichick is a coach that got better on his 2nd time around. It's not uncommon, especially for a guy who got his 1st job in his 30s, to do much better in his 2nd shot at HC. There have been plenty of guys that have gotten 2nd jobs pretty much right away and had more success (Reid, Coughlin), but in particular, guys that wait a few years before taking their 2nd job (Belichick, Carroll) really tend to do well the 2nd time around. McDaniels is as much of an offensive genius as there is in the league right now. I think he probably can better deal with players this time around.

That being said, I think he's waiting for Bill to retire and just take over that position. But McDaniels is a guy that would probably have to be given significant roster control and probably would bring in some familiar faces from NE to surround himself with. Bears would basically have to be New England West in the way that it runs, which probably aint happening.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They had already hired the staff that he asked for and recruited.
So? Anyone who does negotiations knows that things aren’t final until the signatures are done. Ballard made a rookie mistake.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So? Anyone who does negotiations knows that things aren’t final until the signatures are done. Ballard made a rookie mistake.
So? Doesn't change the McDaniels narrative nor how he's perceived one bit. 2 wrongs don't make one right.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So? Doesn't change the McDaniels narrative nor how he's perceived one bit. 2 wrongs don't make one right.
Doesn’t really matter what the fan narrative or perception is. The NFL thinks he’s a top coach. (Rightly so).

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
he started Kyle Orton
Who else was he supposed to start?

People can say whatever they want about McD, he's a bit of a pud and he went about his DEN tenure the wrong way but he was absolutely correct in the move that he made. He knew before everyone else that Cutler wasn't the guy and he was able to to get a couple 1sts, a 3rd and Kyle Orton(who reportedly was the deciding factor in the trade) and Orton played his best ball under McD, while Cutler went on to be a career IDGAF QB.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
My only problem with McDaniels is that he wanted Tebow.

Polarizing player most people thought couldnt be an NFL quarterback. McDaniels seemed to want him to prove how much of a genius he is and how great of a coach he is. it very much had a “I’m smarter than all of you and I’m going to prove it by drafting Tebow and revolutionizing this league“ vibe to it.

I also think he sorta got fleeced by Tebow‘s team there. Like it’s possible he’s the only coach or decision maker that was fooled by Tebows teams pitch about how he would make it as a QB in the NFL. And McDaniels fell for it. I just remember during that draft Tebow had this big team around him. Probably had a big PR staff pushing him. And watching it I has this vibe that they got McDaniels. They fleeced him.

Last edited:

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Does McDaniels want a HC job? Every year, I hear his name thrown around and every year he stays put. The guy sort of has to be interested.

Kind of like Peyton Manning for HC. The guy isn't interested.

McDaniels may be just fine with riding it out until BB dies. Maybe be found his true calling at OC?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Does McDaniels want a HC job? Every year, I hear his name thrown around and every year he stays put. The guy sort of has to be interested.

Kind of like Peyton Manning for HC. The guy isn't interested.

McDaniels may be just fine with riding it out until BB dies. Maybe be found his true calling at OC?
True. He's had a lot of suiters over the years.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Who else was he supposed to start?

People can say whatever they want about McD, he's a bit of a pud and he went about his DEN tenure the wrong way but he was absolutely correct in the move that he made. He knew before everyone else that Cutler wasn't the guy and he was able to to get a couple 1sts, a 3rd and Kyle Orton(who reportedly was the deciding factor in the trade) and Orton played his best ball under McD, while Cutler went on to be a career IDGAF QB.
I am saying that McDaniel was right about cutler

Collins77

Liked Posts:
I would hire Mc Daniels in a second. Hes the No1 coordinator coaching option hands down. Denver was years ago. Hell, look at Mel Tucker. Mc Daniels might not be who you want to hear or see at press conferences, he's probably gonna make some moves you don't like at the time. But at the end of the day, the man knows football, and how to develop a QB.
This.......again.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Doesn’t really matter what the fan narrative or perception is. The NFL thinks he’s a top coach. (Rightly so).
I didn't limit that to fans. Some owners may still want him but others will now pass.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Bears are smart to pursue McDaniels who knows alot more about running a team than he did 12 years ago. He is the most qualified candidate in the NFL and it is not even close.

Nobody is a sure thing in the NFL but McDaniels has been around the best in the league for the longest. Would love to him here in Chicago with a talented young QB to work with.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I have the same questions everyone would have about McDaniels.... but going completely off qualifications alone, he's the most qualified guy by a landslide. Like it's not even close.
Perhaps. Daboll and Roman are pretty qualified as well though as far as offensive candidates are concerned

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
For those hung up on Tebow, go back and look at the draft. It was historically one of the worst QB drafts in history. Bradford, Tebow, Clausen, McCoy. Nobody made it.

McDaniels needed a QB and reached. Rookie HC mistake. Guy had 12 years to look back on what he did wrong in Denver.

If you want a shot at one of the truly elite offensive minds in the game, and those guys don't come around often at all, (Belichick, Payton, etc) you make a run at McDaniels.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am saying that McDaniel was right about cutler
True but lying to him still doesn't wear well. How many times does a guy need to prove untrustworthy before it matters to some? He reportedly backed out of the Indi job due to wanting more control than his GM after their roles were well known. A last minute power play that Ballard wanted no part of.

Could he now have his shit together and understand his place. Sure but it's more likely that he'll not accept that long term and create conflict from within unless he's given more than he can chew from the start, like what happened in Denver where his ego ruled over common sense/smart football decisions.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually am surprised that a lot of you would want McDaniels. He runs an offense consisting of predominantly short passes with blocking schemes, running plays, and occasional shots down the field, consuming the clock, etc. The type of offense I like to help the defense. Not high risk passing plays. It just seemed to me that most of you want to see long passes and get off on that.

Bolek

Liked Posts:
Daboll might be an interesting option, but I cant stand McDaniels and his sh1thead personality and Leftwich, not exactly sure why he is getting any credit at all. Dont you think that Bucs winning has more to do with GOAT playing there instead of the OC, who had same team at 7-9 the year before the won the SB? WTH?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
So did McDaniels forget how to be a genius last year when the Patriots offense was garbage?