OT - RG3 coming out with a tell all book

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"he just wins!" -Skip Bayless

OKAY
I've been wary of that phrase ever since the late Mark Hatley said something similar when referring to Cade McNown:

“He figures out some way to beat your butt, and that’s what you’re looking for.” --Mark Hatley

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
That dumpster fire is getting pretty "hot" at the moment. Certainly the hottest in that division ?
They totally are. It was them and Philly until my team shit their pants against the Giants.

I'm actually looking forward to the WFT-PHI games coming up. Great measuring stick to see who's real or at least who wants it more.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I remember when they put RG3 in this Lions preseason game with one of the starting OLineman out with a injury.
It looked like an assassination attempt on RG3. Take a look

Robert Griffin III Suffers Concussion In Preseason Game ...

Interesting enough, I think there's a Justin Fields lesson in watching Bob Grif.

You can see on a lot of those hits RG3 just doesn't have pocket awareness. He's either standing in one spot in the pocket or running for his life. At athletic as RG3 was, not knowing how to keep moving within the pocket to help his blockers have angles he was left just taking massive hits.

I'd add, that Washington OL started to look a lot better as soon as Kirk Cousins stepped in.

It was the same for many mobile QBs. Mike Vick, Vince Young and Randall Cunningham to name a few. The way it was explained to me by someone I respect a ton when it comes to blocking schemes is the OL are largely less athletic than the defenders trying to get behind them. Their advantages are knowing where the QB should be and being bigger. If the QB does a lot of scrambling it can nullify one of their advantages, so they are left guessing, reaching and holding while also getting beat a lot.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Eagles appear to still be the worst team in the division. Hoping for @Pegger they move on from hurts quickly and don't linger on a bad qb too long

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Interesting enough, I think there's a Justin Fields lesson in watching Bob Grif.

You can see on a lot of those hits RG3 just doesn't have pocket awareness. He's either standing in one spot in the pocket or running for his life. At athletic as RG3 was, not knowing how to keep moving within the pocket to help his blockers have angles he was left just taking massive hits.

I'd add, that Washington OL started to look a lot better as soon as Kirk Cousins stepped in.

It was the same for many mobile QBs. Mike Vick, Vince Young and Randall Cunningham to name a few. The way it was explained to me by someone I respect a ton when it comes to blocking schemes is the OL are largely less athletic than the defenders trying to get behind them. Their advantages are knowing where the QB should be and being bigger. If the QB does a lot of scrambling it can nullify one of their advantages, so they are left guessing, reaching and holding while also getting beat a lot.
The chiefs are a good example of this. Fischer and the RT with a bad back played great with mahomes. Orlando brown has been terrible

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Eagles appear to still be the worst team in the division. Hoping for @Pegger they move on from hurts quickly and don't linger on a bad qb too long
Yeah, it's been a roller coaster of a season. I think what's helping me the most is the extremely low expectations I had going in.

Having rookie playcallers on both offense and defense (Nick Siriani and Jonathan Gannon) hasn't helped. They lost probably 4 games on horrible play design alone. Then there's Hurts. It seems like when the team is on, which means running like crazy, he looks pretty good. On the flip side when the scheme/game script ask him to make plays with his arm he misses a lot.

This offseason will be interesting. Sure the Eagles will have 3 first round picks, but I'm not excited about any of the QBs. I'm hoping for one of 2 things to happen:

1 - Hurts, who's only started 16 games, starts looking the part and has 1 or more 'signature wins'. Looking at the remaining schedule (@NYJ, WASH, NYG, @WASH, then DAL) this should be doable. Actually looking at the schedule if he doesn't have at least one, that's more telling.

2 - He's a part of a trade for a vet - Obvious names are Watson and Wilson, but maybe someone like Mayfield, Jimmy G or even K-Aaron is an option. They could also trade Hurts away to a team like the Texans (post Watson) and roll with Minshew + rookie.

Either way these next few games will be extremely telling as to what the Eagles have at the QB position. If he had 1-2 more games like the Giants game it will be tough to get excited about him as the starter in 2022.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Technically....I understand what you're saying about the OL. However, when I watch that Lions vid. I'm seeing a "jail break." I'm seeing the Lions DL overpower the Washington OL. When I discuss "pocket awareness" and "pocket presence", I always remind ppl, there has to initially be a "pocket".

But....If u wanna point out some time stamps in the vid. I'd be happy to re-analyze them.

>>#29 On Hurts, right 16 games ( he's more of a rookie). But when I hear ppl talk about the other young, 1-2 yr Qb's, the mantra seems to always be......'give them more time' ?

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Technically....I understand what you're saying about the OL. However, when I watch that Lions vid. I'm seeing a "jail break." I'm seeing the Lions DL overpower the Washington OL. When I discuss "pocket awareness" and "pocket presence", I always remind ppl, there has to initially be a "pocket".

But....If u wanna point out some time stamps in the vid. I'd be happy to re-analyze them.

>>#29 On Hurts, right 16 games ( he's more of a rookie). But when I hear ppl talk about the other young, 1-2 yr Qb's, the mantra seems to always be......'give them more time' ?

0:19 - Should have slid a bit to the right, but I get that's almost right in his face.
0:29 - Yeah, just a bull rush right in his grill.
0:36 - He should have slid slightly to his right and not allow the LB to get a clean run at him. That little bit would have saved him from a big shot.
0:40 - No idea what the LT was doing. Just let the DE go.
0:48 - Don't know why he didn't hit his TE. Guys was wide open 2 seconds before he had any pressure on him and it was 2nd and 12.
0:53 - Not a bad pocket overall, but he stepped up to run and fumbled the ball. It was 3rd and 16, but if the underneath options weren't going to work then why would him running be any better?

As for Hurts, yeah it's only 16 games, but he's had a full offseason. I think most rookies struggle because they go from the college season to bowl season to draft prep to the draft and by the time the regular season comes around they are just overloaded with info and haven't gotten a break. For Hurts he had all last offseason to prepare for that. I'd add, sure he only started 4 games last year, but still got to watch and prepare for another 12, so I'm not considering this his rookie year.

There's an Eagles podcast called Q & A. It's hosted by former Eagle Safety Quintin Mikell (Q) and former WR Jason Avant (A). They provide some great insight because they know the city, the team and neither were that athletically impressive, so they had to play the game 'smart' and provide some great insight. They have both bashed the play calling, but lately they have made the observation that head coach Nick Siriani can't do full play design or concepts based on Hurts not really being able to execute them. That's a massive red flag to me. Can't make him your future if in year 2 you still have the training wheels on.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Mitch needs to write a tell all book on his time with the Bears cause it would SELL!!!

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

0:19 - Should have slid a bit to the right, but I get that's almost right in his face.
0:36 - He should have slid slightly to his right and not allow the LB to get a clean run at him. That little bit would have saved him from a big shot.
0:48 - Don't know why he didn't hit his TE. Guys was wide open 2 seconds before he had any pressure on him and it was 2nd and 12.
0:53 - Not a bad pocket overall, but he stepped up to run and fumbled the ball. It was 3rd and 16, but if the underneath options weren't going to work then why would him running be any better?

As for Hurts, yeah it's only 16 games, but he's had a full offseason. I think most rookies struggle because they go from the college season to bowl season to draft prep to the draft and by the time the regular season comes around they are just overloaded with info and haven't gotten a break. For Hurts he had all last offseason to prepare for that. I'd add, sure he only started 4 games last year, but still got to watch and prepare for another 12, so I'm not considering this his rookie year.

There's an Eagles podcast called Q & A. It's hosted by former Eagle Safety Quintin Mikell (Q) and former WR Jason Avant (A). They provide some great insight because they know the city, the team and neither were that athletically impressive, so they had to play the game 'smart' and provide some great insight. They have both bashed the play calling, but lately they have made the observation that head coach Nick Siriani can't do full play design or concepts based on Hurts not really being able to execute them. That's a massive red flag to me. Can't make him your future if in year 2 you still have the training wheels on.

Well.....I view this as an immediate "bucket of water to the face". I mean honestly, he didn't have time to do anything . Unfortunately, this an example of no pocket formation.

Correct

Ok so on this pass play, he does what some ppl say he doesn't do.....that is hang in the pocket, step into it and release the ball. That LB came with a late hit. It shoulda' been called for a late hit.

Correct. RG is taking a beating

Ok right here maybe he could've got it off. But take a closer look. Again, there was no pocket off the PA. Another immediate collapse.

Ok here, I would've hit that guy underneath. But again, the RE beat the lousy LT, hence sudden pocket collapse.
At this point in the game we don't know if he's suffering the effects of the concussion.
------------------------------------------------

On Hurts, you say after his 1st season, he had "time to prepare". Right, so keep in mind he had to learn another playbook
with rookie HC Siranni. We'll disagree here. Even with 4 games and not a full season, he's a still a "rookie" IMO.

".....but lately they have made the observation that head coach Nick Siriani can't do full play design or concepts based on Hurts not really being able to execute them. That's a massive red flag to me. Can't make him your future if in year 2 you still have the training wheels on."

So what I've been hearing is Siriani is not good at play calling ( see links) and he's not utilizing the run enuff. But again.....I go back to when I hear the pundits talk about the other young, 1-2 yr Qb's, the mantra seems to always be......?'give them more time' . I'll check out the Eagles Mikell -Avant podcast

Eagles observations: Is it time for Nick Sirianni to give up play ...

Nick Sirianni's abysmal play-calling reared its ugly head ...

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:

Heh . . .

Those were brutal hits for a preseason game. They didn't have the qb protection rules in effect <obvious> as over half those are 15 yarders or kicked out of game deals with todays qb protection rules.

Whoever was the redskins coach overseeing that stuff should have been canned for allowing RG3 to stay in that long in a preseason game too? lol. Obvious Lions took that exhibition game a little more serious with their blitz schemes.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Heh . . .

Those were brutal hits for a preseason game. They didn't have the qb protection rules in effect <obvious> as over half those are 15 yarders or kicked out of game deals with todays qb protection rules.

Whoever was the redskins coach overseeing that stuff should have been canned for allowing RG3 to stay in that long
in a preseason game too? lol. Obvious Lions took that exhibition game a little more serious with their blitz schemes.

His name is Jay Gruden