Whos your final HC candidate?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
After last night, I want McDaniels. Had to be hard to call only 3 passess, but they did what they needed to do to get the wind without taking a risk with a rookie QB in 40 mph winds. The fact they have won throwing 30+times and less than 5 times shows that they actually do true game planning and call plays according to the abilities of the personnel. Plus, I'm sure he learned from his last experience in Denver. I doubt he becomes available because he can just wait until Bill retires.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Bee Tee Dubs, something to chew on: Nagy, Trestman, Lovie, Juaron, Wannstedt, and Ditka were all first time HC's. I can't speak to before Ditka, but aside from John Fox the Bears have don't like spend big money on coaches with a long track record of HC experience.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Harbaugh makes me more nervous than McDaniels tbh.
I know, but he didn't get fired for performance. He couldn't get along with the management, who got themselves fired after they got rid of him.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think Harbaugh got lucky with his OC and DC hires in SF (Greg Roman/Vic Fangio).

The guy has been at Michigan for 6 years and finally got over the hump. He runs a very boring offense and he can't develop QBs.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
After last night, I want McDaniels. Had to be hard to call only 3 passess, but they did what they needed to do to get the wind without taking a risk with a rookie QB in 40 mph winds. The fact they have won throwing 30+times and less than 5 times shows that they actually do true game planning and call plays according to the abilities of the personnel. Plus, I'm sure he learned from his last experience in Denver. I doubt he becomes available because he can just wait until Bill retires.

I've said this before, but there are huge red flags around McDaniels:
  1. Denver was a disaster. He couldn't lead ants to a picnic.
  2. No NE coordinator has become a successful Head Coach - Before anyone says anything, Vrabel never coached in NE. he was Ohio St, then with the Texans.
  3. After Indy how can he be trusted? He unofficially was hired, started calling potential coordinator candidates, who quit their jobs only to find out McDaniels wasn't going there anymore. That might be one of the lowest character moves I've ever heard of.
He thinks he's Bill without the track record, no chance in my book.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I thought he initially took the job then backpedaled/got cold feet a day or two later. Or was that part just media driven?
There is a lot to that story but this is part of it

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
It will cost a lot of money to get Harbaugh. 10-12 Mill a year. I think Harbaugh stays at MI. McDaniel's is at the top of my list then Day. All will be expensive. Will they pay?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Still Roman,
BTW, I he has been trailing in all but one of the wins (8)they have this year.

Harbaugh went for two points and the win instead of kicking the extra point and tying the game with only seconds left in the game.

Not sure if it was his call or Romans, but very gutsy call... had they converted it would have been another come from behind win....

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Still Roman,
BTW, I he has been trailing in all but one of the wins (8)they have this year.

Harbaugh went for two points and the win instead of kicking the extra point and tying the game with only seconds left in the game.

Not sure if it was his call or Romans, but very gutsy call... had they converted it would have been another come from behind win....
Harbaugh uses analytics a ton to make these decisions. If the numbers didn't work, he would have gone for the tie.

EDIT: * would have gone for the tie.

Last edited:

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think people are too wrapped up in the HC having to be an offense guy instead of him just being a good HC. As long as we get a staff that maximizes the faces of our franchises I’m good with whomever
I hear ya, but worry about the HC losing the OC to other job promotions. NFL teams change coaches like their underwear and I'd like to see a HC with a strong background in offense so he can easily replace and groom.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
it's funny how people are jumping off the Daboll and Joe Brady trains. Personally, I'm still on Roman, Leftwich, Todd Bowles, Kellen Moore(his offense has struggled lately)
I like Kellen Moore, he has a tendency to abandon the run.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
From the Sun-Time almost two years ago.

Dave Toub

Early on in my career, I just wanted a job, and it’d be great,” he said this week. “The older I get — I’m 57 now — I’m a little more like, ‘I gotta have a quarterback, it’s gotta be the right place.

hmmm….

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
There's some extenuating circumstances. Depends on if you believe Hub, but he was saying Ballard was shady as shit and not following through with things he promised McDaniels on the interview.
So Ballard is a bad GM now? They have a talented, young roster, good salary cap control and have almost all their draft picks (outside of the conditional first to the Eagles for their franchise QB).

I know his reputation is being a bit of a dick and he's a hard nosed guy to make deals with but isn't that what you want from your GM? As an Eagle fan I saw Roseman and him dancing on a Wentz deal for months and ultimately Howie was the one who flinched and gave in. Gotta respect that Ballard had a price and wasn't going to overpay.

Let's back this out a bit and big picture. Ignore the HC decision for a second, if Pace would have done the same job Ballard did with the Colts over the past 5 years is anyone wanting him gone? No.

If McDaniels is so caught up with bringing in his own GM that he actually moves on form someone who has performed well in that capacity isn't that a bad look on him?

I'd add, what has Jeff Ireland done to show he can do well with the salary cap, draft or free agency in New Orleans? He's been there for 6 years. They are in cap hell (estimated $71M over the cap for 2022) and aren't that young (10th oldest team in the NFL). They also have given out some bad contracts (Michael Thomas and Taysom Hill). Also, that's where Pace came from. Actually Ireland sorta replaced Pace. Do you want to replace Ryan Pace with someone who looks like the next Ryan Pace?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
  2. No NE coordinator has become a successful Head Coach - Before anyone says anything, Vrabel never coached in NE. he was Ohio St, then with the Texans.
  3. After Indy how can he be trusted? He unofficially was hired, started calling potential coordinator candidates, who quit their jobs only to find out McDaniels wasn't going there anymore. That might be one of the lowest character moves I've ever heard of.
+1. Plus, he's small and wimpy. He will never succeed as a HC.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So Ballard is a bad GM now? They have a talented, young roster, good salary cap control and have almost all their draft picks (outside of the conditional first to the Eagles for their franchise QB).

I know his reputation is being a bit of a dick and he's a hard nosed guy to make deals with but isn't that what you want from your GM? As an Eagle fan I saw Roseman and him dancing on a Wentz deal for months and ultimately Howie was the one who flinched and gave in. Gotta respect that Ballard had a price and wasn't going to overpay.

Let's back this out a bit and big picture. Ignore the HC decision for a second, if Pace would have done the same job Ballard did with the Colts over the past 5 years is anyone wanting him gone? No.

If McDaniels is so caught up with bringing in his own GM that he actually moves on form someone who has performed well in that capacity isn't that a bad look on him?

I'd add, what has Jeff Ireland done to show he can do well with the salary cap, draft or free agency in New Orleans? He's been there for 6 years. They are in cap hell (estimated $71M over the cap for 2022) and aren't that young (10th oldest team in the NFL). They also have given out some bad contracts (Michael Thomas and Taysom Hill). Also, that's where Pace came from. Actually Ireland sorta replaced Pace. Do you want to replace Ryan Pace with someone who looks like the next Ryan Pace?

Hey man, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just relaying info, not advocating it.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

not sure your definition of successful but BOB was that for the texans before he inherited GM duties and went off the deep end.

as for the indy situation, if what was detailed is true, i dont blame mcdaniels as the terms had changed from what was initially discussed with ballard...