So guys, how do you rate Field's game tonight?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Same old same old. First and foremost we shouldn't judge him too harshly. He's going to be a open read QB the majority of his first year. Every D figures out the first read and every play becomes the same. Nagy fault too.

Not bad. Not good enough.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I'll preface everything with the fact that he has ass coaching, a shitty oline and below average weapons.......

However.....

Every pre draft negative report/rumor/analysis about him has looked pretty accurate so far

Locks on 1st read
Slow to process and come off read
Quick to tuck and run
Elongated loopy delivery
Small hands
Fumble prone

He needs to get MUCH better....and hopefully does with better coaching...buy every rookie qb has had similar flaws/problem (mac Jones excluded)

I'm also starting to worry that he's more a player vs a ceo/orchestrator of the offense like a brady/Rodgers/wilson/dak

Nuremberg Bear

Liked Posts:
Try to hold back the excuses and be objective.

It was bad...even for a rookie. He got a huge lift from Jakeem Grant. That 46 yard "TD pass."
Be objective and then tell us something one pass don't count. But this is a perfect example how average QBs can look good, if everything clicks.

He was not good last night. And how so often he got little to none help - as your boyfriend last week.

But when I compare to other Rookies, I think he looks decent (outside 3 passes Jones).

Liked Posts:
I thought he had a solid game for the most part. No deep passes to scream about but showed some good moments. The pass for Byrd, though a simple route was timed to perfection in a tight window and was able to be taken in stride.

He also showed good mobility to escape continuous pressure from a leaky O-line. A quarterback with lesser physical gifts would’ve struggled much more than Fields did today.

Yeah the pick six was a bad bit of play all round but he’ll learn not to be so obvious with his passes next time and improve on it.

All in all I’m still optimistic and definitely wouldn’t be looking to berate the kid after this performance like some are determined to do.

BDCB

:•)
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Definitely better than I would’ve done, but not half as good as Aaron Rodgers pinky toe.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Considering he was statistically under more pressure than about any QB in any game this season, I'd say he did pretty well. The INT was brutal and he was inconsistent with accuracy, no doubt. But his escapablility was elite tonight.

That said I think there's a pretty strong possibility that the next coach is going to have to create a scheme that is unique to suit his talents and minimize the issues. He doesn't look like he's made much progress going through reads this year.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
I think he did ok. Lack of team talent and a coach who sucks. Thats on the coaching staff and gm. Look at Trevor Lawrence

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The scheme needs to be changed to be looking for shorter passes and then take some longer shots down the field. He is looking to go long too much and this causes holding penalties, sacks and fumbles.

What should be learned last night is that his 2 touchdown passes which also accounted for almost halve his passing yards traveled about an average of 6 yards in the air. With the proper play calling this stuff works and massive YAC do happen.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Try to hold back the excuses and be objective.

It was bad...even for a rookie. He got a huge lift from Jakeem Grant. That 46 yard "TD pass."
He has little to no support and the game calling is not for him. How many shots did they take downfield? Very few. When Nagy/Pace are gone and we have a coach that actually supports him let me know.

Nuremberg Bear

Liked Posts:
The scheme needs to be changed to be looking for shorter passes and then take some longer shots down the field. He is looking to go long too much and this causes holding penalties, sacks and fumbles.

What should be learned last night is that his 2 touchdown passes which also accounted for almost halve his passing yards traveled about an average of 6 yards in the air. With the proper play calling this stuff works and massive YAC do happen.
This. How often have we dreamed of this scenario.
We should have kept them short with yac in 2nd half and then take the long bombs. Instead? We took every blitz, long plays and suddenly nothing works. Just brutal coaching.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Considering he’s playing with cracked ribs and feels pain on every throw, I thought he did pretty well.

For context, have someone hit you with a baseball bat in the ribs and then start throwing a football. Let us know how it goes.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Meh. Did what I've been complaining about all year. Drive throws were mostly high. Negatives were obvious but he did check down more than he has been so while he looked like another week sitting may have been the better option, he did run the O better. The fails were mostly physical errors and pro game speed/open vs college.

Not an excuse but that many pressures takes a toll. Can't see how dalton would have been an upgrade under those circumstances and Jenkins doing his turnstile thing. I guess he's better than Simmons and Wilkinson is still on covid protocol. Looked like a guy without enough reps or conditioning to actually be on the active. I guess they had no choice and like I said, at least better than Simmons right now. :rolleyes:

Here's the thing. While Fields is at least as effective as Dalton overall in this O due to things beyond just running the scheme, the problem is that if Nagy wanted to win more games. that scheme should be very, very different. In terms of development, this is fine for Fields, all reps are good ones, but it's not what's best for the team and just reinforces why Nagy needs to go.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I expected better from fields this year. But still a fact every qb naggy has coached has failed miserably. That is truth. So I have to see fields with a new hc. So yes this year is not inspiring but he gets next year from me before I write this off

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My unclouded. unbiased, unabridged and totally honest take on Justin Fields on his play as a quarterback:

Justin Fields = Jay Cutler

Sure Fields is more fleet of foot and seems to have a better work ethic than "Don't care!" Cutler, but they both have tremendous arm talent and they far too often try to win games with their arm over their brain. They both would need strong coaching to learn to play within a system. Learn to take what a defense gives them and not force something that isn't there. Stop holding the ball until something comes open, trust more than just yourself on the offense.

Needless to say that the Bears botched their last Jay Cutler...time to see if anyone at Halas Hall learned anything from it.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I am concerned and I'll leave it at that.
let's say we get a new GM and Coach, how long do they give Fields knowing they are now on the clock? Obviously the popcorn kernels pop at different times but he's no Justin Herbert...there is some hope when I remind myself that Peyton Manning sucked his 1st year...

Liked Posts:
Fields played the way I expected him to play, like a QB in the development stage, coming off 3 weeks of sitting out and playing against a team that is arguably the best in the NFC.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
let's say we get a new GM and Coach, how long do they give Fields knowing they are now on the clock? Obviously the popcorn kernels pop at different times but he's no Justin Herbert...there is some hope when I remind myself that Peyton Manning sucked his 1st year...
One year. Cardinals got rid of the number one pick after one year and look where they are now. Idt they would get rid of fields coming in he has too much potential. But one year should be enough to see if it’s worth pursuing long term

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He needs good coaching. You can see he is just as effective as a 11 year veteran in this shitty offense. The game plan they install for him does very little to suit his strengths, which has been discussed ad nauseum with 5 (?) different quarterbacks essentially producing the same results.

He was definitely off. One habit he has picked up in this shitty offense that I have noticed is he is rifling his throws where they don't need to be fast balls. I am sure that is because we are running curls 80% of the time and defenders are sitting on them, but that is leading to interceptions. Regardless, his receivers aren't helping him.

The pick 6 was horrible. He telegraphed it.

The ball on the ground, again.

Same shit though, he had pressure on almost 60% of his drop backs, the interior OL was terrible.

The cherry on top? 1 carry for David Montgomery after halftime.

He needs better coaching.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think he did ok. Lack of team talent and a coach who sucks. Thats on the coaching staff and gm. Look at Trevor Lawrence
Lawrence only has 9 TD's but has 14 INT's and 5 fumbles. Not having a good year at all but everyone still believes in him.