How could the Bears have been so wrong about Matt Nagy? Let’s reminisce. (R. Morrissey)

Brownie

Liked Posts:

Highlight:

How could the Bears have missed so badly? The easy answer, the answer that’s never wrong, the answer that covers every organizational screw-up, is that these are the Bears. They do dumb like a skunk does stink.

But we’re thorough people who demand deeper answers than that. The bottom line is that the Bears fell in love with a person, not a football coach.

Nagy’s job interview with McCaskey, Phillips and Pace lasted 4½ hours. Pace arrived with 15 pages of questions. I wouldn’t be able to come up with 15 pages of questions to ask Jesus. It wasn’t a due-diligence problem. It was an eyesight problem. The three men saw something in Nagy that wasn’t there and, worse, they didn’t see what was right in front of them — Nagy’s almost complete lack of experience calling and designing plays. He had been the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator in name only for most of two seasons. Coach Andy Reid called the vast majority of plays for the team.

So what did the Bears see? They saw nice.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Rather than Dan Wieder's Novella, this was short, to the point, and frankly, got to the heart of the matter and is some of Morrissey's best work.
For sure.
.... and spot on as far as the reasonings given for the hiring at the time. All about Nagy's character and nothing about his aptitude or proven ability to actually DO the job.

Basically told all of us "Matt's a really nice guy with a 'can do attitude', and who isn't going to give us any problems so we're willing to hope he can grow into the job.."

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The problem with the bears is even when they know and see what’s wrong they are not willing to eat all that money on guaranteed contracts. It was clear naggy was a fraud after 2019. When he got his wish with foles in 2020 and things still didn’t click you figure why is this guy still hc? Only reasoning is $$$$

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I think its simple. He was Andy Reid's OC and was part of the staff that drafted Mahomes. I'm sure he impressed in his interview with management as he can come off as a great speaker and leader.

And year one was mostly good.

But, over time it became apparent his knowledge and expertise in offensive scheme and player development was lacking.

I dont think it was a terrible decision to hire him per say. Just a swing and a miss.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think its simple. He was Andy Reid's OC and was part of the staff that drafted Mahomes. I'm sure he impressed in his interview with management as he can come off as a great speaker and leader.

And year one was mostly good.

But, over time it became apparent his knowledge and expertise in offensive scheme and player development was lacking.

I dont think it was a terrible decision to hire him per say. Just a swing and a miss.
I don’t get where the “great speaker” idea comes from. His word salad is anything but great speaking. It’s just rambling nonsense…

JPPT1974

May Day and Spring Fever!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Cincinnati Reds
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Oklahoma City Thunder
  1. Tennessee Titans
  1. Washington Capitals
  1. Howard Bison
Not just Nagy but Pace will be on the way out after 2021. Just saying!

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don’t get where the “great speaker” idea comes from. His word salad is anything but great speaking. It’s just rambling nonsense…

Snake oil salesman turns to word salad when his fraud is exposed, a tale as old as time.

I imagine he sounded much more convincing 4 years ago before literally every law of the Universe proved Nagy wrong about how he thought you could coach a football team.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
They won’t hire anyone that will tell them the truth about their "organization”, see Chris Ballard. Nothing but sunshine and rainbows….

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many Head Coaches and their staff have failed with the Bears?

How many QB's have failed with the Bears?

At some time, we all have to realize that its the ownership that sets the course of the team.

The only successful part of the modern day Bears is the financial side. What's that tell ya?

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is why you need a true football guy in at the top level to help cut through the shenanigans, Nagy is a saleperson, and he hoodwinked the Bears Brass and Pace. If someone came in with 15 pages of questions, I would not be impressed, ya, I want them to have questions, but 15 pages of questions is more of a distraction technique that is used to deflect and look impressive. I would want the HC to be more of a here are the answers and this is how we do it. None of this Trestman with a mapped out plan all the way through the season to the point of the Super Bowl parade, what a fucking joke, not a Nagy thing where I'm going to impress you with looking for the whys and the hows and not with this is exactly how we took advantage of the defense in this situation and this is how we step by step prepared Mahomes to be elite.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Naggy sold them on making Mitch a great QB, that's all Pace needed to hear, dam the 15 pages of questions, that put Pace in a comfort zone for his reach for Mitch. And of course all Naggy had to do is nod his head up and down, smile, and laugh at every bit of drivel that came out of George's and Ted's mouth during the interview.

As one poster said in this thread, the McCaskey's are in fear of anyone who challenge their comfort level. You want to grow your business, in this case put a winning product on the field, then you need to be uncomfortable.

Granada

Liked Posts:
This is such a typical dumb Morrisey piece. What a lazy piece of writing, even by his standards.

I'm not a fan of Nagy, I'll be fine when he's gone, but he wasn't hired strictly because he said the right things during the interview, or that they "fell in love with the person, not the coach"; he was hired because he practiced under Reid and for whatever offensive prowess/cache/experience he had acquired while in Kansas City.