Justin Fields compared to other QB's

MadBearsFan

Liked Posts:
People calling Fields a bust at this point is a joke. Besides the fact that he didn't get any 1st team reps in the off season, has a bad oline, no number 1 receiver and had the dreaded Nagy playbook, here is his rating compared to other QB's in their rookie years

76.9 - Drew Brees
73.2 - Justin Fields
71.2 - Peyton Manning
67.9 - Josh Allen
61 - Matthew Stafford
55.4 - Eli Manning
39.8 - Aaron Rodgers - Okay he only threw 16 passes but still had a pick
I can tell you. He is literally one of the worst Bears QBs of all time. That’s how bad he has been lol ? at least statistically. It’s been quite the season lol

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I can tell you. He is literally one of the worst Bears QBs of all time. That’s how bad he has been lol ? at least statistically. It’s been quite the season lol
No one cares what tards think. Thanks though.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Fields has had a rough rookie year.

Part of it is Nagy not giving him much (if any) time with the first team players. You think you'd want Fields to be able to work with A-Rob and Jimmy Graham some. Well, Nagy really didn't do much of that.

The O-Line was crap. Jenkins has been hurt most of the season. Borom looks like a steal, though.

i think he's got the work ethic to be a very good QB for Da Bears. But it's going to take a better coach than Nagy.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don’t think the time frame or standards matter. All he did was list some past rookie QBs who went on to be very good. You don’t think the standards changed between Brees or Manning and the QBs before them? Of course they did. Point is, rookie QBs shouldn’t be fully judged based on their first season. And the guys he listed is why. Plus the many other successful QBs out there who struggled their rookie season.

@Les Grossman 's point was valid, imo.

It's much easier to play QB now than it was 15-20 years ago.

In Manning's rookie year, a QB rating of 80 was considered average. That's pretty bad by today's standards. And as a rookie, Manning was 8.8 off the average.

In today's NFL, a QB rating of 90 would probably be considered average, and Fields is 16.8 off that mark.

As anther comparison.... in Brees' first year starting, only 4 QBs finished that season with a QB rating of over a 90. This year, there are 21 QBs that are over a 90.

Today, young QBs are expected to produce quickly and teams don't hesitate to move on from a 1st round QB pick of theirs if they don't show dramatic improvement by year two. When you look at the QBs that have been drafted in the first round over the last several years, there have been a few that didn't even last longer than two years: Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Josh Rosen, and Dwayne Haskins. Some made it past two years, but they're no longer with the team that drafted them, like Sam Darnold and Blake Bortles. Hell, even some guys who looked like they had potential (Winston and Mariota) wound up as backups on other teams, and guys who looked GOOD like Wentz and Goff are playing elsewhere because they weren't cutting it any longer.

I'm not saying Fields will fail... Obviously, there are examples of guys (albeit not many) over the last several years who have struggled in year one and wound up being just fine. BUT, I guess I am saying that, based on recent history in the NFL, if Fields doesn't have a decent jump next year, he's likely to be gone. Especially if we get a new GM and coach... because, well, Fields wasn't their guy. He was Nagy's and Pace's. So if he struggles again, they may very well hit the reset button and start over with "their" guy.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

You just joined. And you're bringing haterade for our rookie Qb, Not a good look

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
I do wonder about QBs with early success.

Watson had Hopkins, Fuller and don’t recall when Cooks came into the picture, but he had a go to.

Mahomes has Hill and Kelce.

Jameis had Evans and then Godwin

Stafford had a MFing Cyborg.

Herbert had Keenan, Williams, and Ekeler.

Burrow was interrupted with injury, but prior to dipping into the WR pool with Chase, they had Boyd and Higgins.

Allen struggled until the team built around him with Diggs.

Goff had Cooks, Kupp, and Woods

Fields got Allen and Mooney. Allen has been a disappointment this year, but I do wonder how much this has stunted growth. I remember Watson and Mahomes just throwing shit up and his playmakers making some ridiculous catches.

I don’t know what this means, but it feels like it means something.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars

Fields got Allen and Mooney. Allen has been a disappointment this year, but I do wonder how much this has stunted growth. I remember Watson and Mahomes just throwing shit up and his playmakers making some ridiculous catches.

Playmakers matter, but I seem to recall Fields didn't get much - if any - work in training camp with A-Rob/Mooney/Graham/Kmet.

Most of his snaps and pre-season PT was with Horstead and Jesse James, IIRC, and Rodney Adams at wideout.

A lot of the others, I bet, worked with their playmakers much more than Fields did.

MadBearsFan

Liked Posts:
@Les Grossman 's point was valid, imo.

It's much easier to play QB now than it was 15-20 years ago.

In Manning's rookie year, a QB rating of 80 was considered average. That's pretty bad by today's standards. And as a rookie, Manning was 8.8 off the average.

In today's NFL, a QB rating of 90 would probably be considered average, and Fields is 16.8 off that mark.

As anther comparison.... in Brees' first year starting, only 4 QBs finished that season with a QB rating of over a 90. This year, there are 21 QBs that are over a 90.

Today, young QBs are expected to produce quickly and teams don't hesitate to move on from a 1st round QB pick of theirs if they don't show dramatic improvement by year two. When you look at the QBs that have been drafted in the first round over the last several years, there have been a few that didn't even last longer than two years: Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Josh Rosen, and Dwayne Haskins. Some made it past two years, but they're no longer with the team that drafted them, like Sam Darnold and Blake Bortles. Hell, even some guys who looked like they had potential (Winston and Mariota) wound up as backups on other teams, and guys who looked GOOD like Wentz and Goff are playing elsewhere because they weren't cutting it any longer.

I'm not saying Fields will fail... Obviously, there are examples of guys (albeit not many) over the last several years who have struggled in year one and wound up being just fine. BUT, I guess I am saying that, based on recent history in the NFL, if Fields doesn't have a decent jump next year, he's likely to be gone. Especially if we get a new GM and coach... because, well, Fields wasn't their guy. He was Nagy's and Pace's. So if he struggles again, they may very well hit the reset button and start over with "their" guy.
Good post. He will be an average injury prone QB. Maybe you can win with him if everything is perfect around him.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Playmakers matter, but I seem to recall Fields didn't get much - if any - work in training camp with A-Rob/Mooney/Graham/Kmet.

Most of his snaps and pre-season PT was with Horstead and Jesse James, IIRC, and Rodney Adams at wideout.

A lot of the others, I bet, worked with their playmakers much more than Fields did.
Outside of the first game or two, that means very little. I mean, how many reps did Foles get with the starters, being the 3rd string QB? Yet he did ok with them last Sunday.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Outside of the first game or two, that means very little. I mean, how many reps did Foles get with the starters, being the 3rd string QB? Yet he did ok with them last Sunday.
You mean a 10 year vet is going to have the same game experience as a rookie?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fields IS really fast, but he’s not quick. He’s a long runner, does not have initial burst though. If he gets to the corner is when he makes you pay.

He has been completely mishandled since day 1. With all the drop tds he’s probably closer to a 1:1 td:Int. Nagy is a moron and has done very little to adjust the scheme to ANY of his quarterbacks.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Watson had Hopkins, Fuller and don’t recall when Cooks came into the picture, but he had a go to.

Mahomes has Hill and Kelce.

Jameis had Evans and then Godwin

Stafford had a MFing Cyborg.

Herbert had Keenan, Williams, and Ekeler.

Burrow was interrupted with injury, but prior to dipping into the WR pool with Chase, they had Boyd and Higgins.

Allen struggled until the team built around him with Diggs.

Goff had Cooks, Kupp, and Woods

Overall, I think you make a good point.

I would think, obviously, that good playmakers make it easier for a QB. Those guys you listed definitely had/have good playmakers. But, that doesn't mean they would have been terrible without them. They may have just looked a bit worse without them. Point I'm making is that if those playmakers made those QBS good, then their backups should have looked better as well when they went down with injury, but they didn't. Which obviously points to the fact that those QBs were good. On the flip side, there have also been cases were young QBs were drafted to teams with good talent and still sucked.

Still, I think it's obvious that having better talent will make it easier for a QB to perform well, which was the case for those guys.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good post. He will be an average injury prone QB. Maybe you can win with him if everything is perfect around him.

Too early to tell, imo.

I usually like to wait two years for a QB before I have a more definitive opinion. Like I said in my post, I think year 2 will be critical for him. If he shows decent improvement, he may be alright. If not, he just may not be the guy.

That's just the NFL... ~70% of QBs drafted in the first round end up being busts, so it wouldn't be shocking if it were the case.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He also played with the same team last year or did you forget?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Overall, I think you make a good point.

I would think, obviously, that good playmakers make it easier for a QB. Those guys you listed definitely had/have good playmakers. But, that doesn't mean they would have been terrible without them. They may have just looked a bit worse without them. Point I'm making is that if those playmakers made those QBS good, then their backups should have looked better as well when they went down with injury, but they didn't. Which obviously points to the fact that those QBs were good. On the flip side, there have also been cases were young QBs were drafted to teams with good talent and still sucked.

Still, I think it's obvious that having better talent will make it easier for a QB to perform well, which was the case for those guys.
Good O-line > Good Wr's

Reactions: BNB

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People calling Fields a bust at this point is a joke. Besides the fact that he didn't get any 1st team reps in the off season, has a bad oline, no number 1 receiver and had the dreaded Nagy playbook, here is his rating compared to other QB's in their rookie years

76.9 - Drew Brees
73.2 - Justin Fields
71.2 - Peyton Manning
67.9 - Josh Allen
61 - Matthew Stafford
55.4 - Eli Manning
39.8 - Aaron Rodgers - Okay he only threw 16 passes but still had a pick
I only see one non HOF QB on this list... his last name is Stafford.