2021-2022 Around the NBA Thread

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That’s the dude I’ve wanted on the bulls since this past offseason(obviously getting derozan and ball, I was plenty content), he would fit in nicely on this roster. Give the bulls a little more size and length, plus the guy can score when needed.

it’s all about what the bulls give up to get him. They have to make the salaries match up, too. So it would be more than just PWill to make it happen.

bulls would have to give up something like PWill, Coby, and Troy Brown Jr, or PWill and DJJ for Grant

not sure the bulls do either of those trades tbh
Grant makes 20 mil a year, so it's matching (or close to) matching that salary. Your first trade does it, not sure your second one does.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Grant makes 20 mil a year, so it's matching (or close to) matching that salary. Your first trade does it, not sure your second one does.
According to nbatrademachine they both work

but I wouldn’t expect anyone to actually check on anything before they speak on here…

5074C9FA-FA4F-41AA-BF07-76D900A2791E.png

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
According to nbatrademachine they both work

but I wouldn’t expect anyone to actually check on anything before they speak on here…
Who's got time for that?

I actually was in basketball-reference doing my own salary matching, the hard way.. I thought PWill and DJ Jr might be too far away from 20 mil to actually work. Guess I'm wrong.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Who's got time for that?

I actually was in basketball-reference doing my own salary matching, the hard way.. I thought PWill and DJ Jr might be too far away from 20 mil to actually work. Guess I'm wrong.
Maybe nbatrademachine is wrong…it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
That’s the dude I’ve wanted on the bulls since this past offseason(obviously getting derozan and ball, I was plenty content), he would fit in nicely on this roster. Give the bulls a little more size and length, plus the guy can score when needed.

it’s all about what the bulls give up to get him. They have to make the salaries match up, too. So it would be more than just PWill to make it happen.

bulls would have to give up something like PWill, Coby, and Troy Brown Jr, or PWill and DJJ for Grant

not sure the bulls do either of those trades tbh
Love grant. I’m with you he’d be a great fit. That said, I wouldn’t do either of those deals

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Love grant. I’m with you he’d be a great fit. That said, I wouldn’t do either of those deals
I think both teams would have to consider those trades. Bulls would get this year and next year with Grant. Gives them 2 shots at finals runs before having to make a decision on a next contract for grant

PWill may never be more than a good player, Coby will be nothing more than an average to above average player, Troy brown Jr is nothing more than average, and DJJ I love but he’s on an expiring contract and you gotta figure won’t be a bull next year anyways

If the bulls feel grant could push them over the top, then they should pull the trigger

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Just playing off the first paragraph, I do feel like if LeBron/AD weren't so dead set on Russell Westbrook, DeMar would have gone to the Lakers. Of course that would depend on if LeBron even wanted DeMar.

This is some interesting data as well:
1641483755400.png

538 still shows the Bulls chances of going to the Finals as low. I think they're on pace for a 59-23 season, yet RAPTOR is showing them at 51 wins, which on their model is good for 2nd seed (Nets are at 52 wins). Their Full Strength ratings don't match the records by any means, as full strength puts them as a 6th seed in the East.

Of course, I have yet to fully understand this advance metric 538 uses.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Just playing off the first paragraph, I do feel like if LeBron/AD weren't so dead set on Russell Westbrook, DeMar would have gone to the Lakers. Of course that would depend on if LeBron even wanted DeMar.

This is some interesting data as well:
View attachment 16554

538 still shows the Bulls chances of going to the Finals as low. I think they're on pace for a 59-23 season, yet RAPTOR is showing them at 51 wins, which on their model is good for 2nd seed (Nets are at 52 wins). Their Full Strength ratings don't match the records by any means, as full strength puts them as a 6th seed in the East.

Of course, I have yet to fully understand this advance metric 538 uses.
I saw that as well…giving the bulls a 1% chance to win it all. Behind a lot of teams that quite honestly just aren’t as good as the bulls

but I imagine this shouldn’t surprise us, seeing as how down on the bulls they were in the pre season

i also hope that we don’t see a major drop off from demar as the season progresses. That’s currently my concern, since his numbers are sooo much above what the analytics and what not claim the league average for his shots are(yes, I know he’s an above league average player, but still…he does hit alot of tough shots that you wonder how on earth he made).

the slightest return to his career averages would definitely hurt the bulls significantly, as there’s nothing to suggest he will shoot any less if struggling lol

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I saw that as well…giving the bulls a 1% chance to win it all. Behind a lot of teams that quite honestly just aren’t as good as the bulls

but I imagine this shouldn’t surprise us, seeing as how down on the bulls they were in the pre season
Yes, the Sixers, Nuggets, Clippers, Celtics, Mavericks, and Grizzlies having a better chance at this point is kind of nutty. Of course, I won't excuse the Sixers beat the Bulls twice, but they're not exactly playing like they were last season.

I also figure this model is skewed in some weird way because apparently the best team in the league, the Warriors, only have a 9% chance of making the Finals.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yes, the Sixers, Nuggets, Clippers, Celtics, Mavericks, and Grizzlies having a better chance at this point is kind of nutty. Of course, I won't excuse the Sixers beat the Bulls twice, but they're not exactly playing like they were last season.

I also figure this model is skewed in some weird way because apparently the best team in the league, the Warriors, only have a 9% chance of making the Finals.
Yeah, apparently the jazz are the team to beat according to them

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah, apparently the jazz are the team to beat according to them
giphy.gif

Whatever. As I said I'm not sure how they compute this metric.

Looking at past several year models going into the playoffs...

2021, the model said the Clippers were the most likely team to win the Championship, with the Sixers being the second favorite. The Jazz and Nets were 3rd/4th. Only the Clippers made the Conference Finals, and were decimated by Kawhi being gone by then.

2020 is a wacky year, so I'm going to excuse it. It picked the Clippers at 29%, Lakers 22%, Bucks 21%, Celtics 11%. The Heat had a less than 1% chance. I would say on paper I would have given all those top 4 teams great chances at a title run that year.

2019 had the Warriors with a 58% chance winning into the playoffs, and Raptors 17%. The Bucks had a 15% chance. Model actually computes well here, though we know the Warriors didn't win.

2018 had the Rockets at 44%, Raptors 17%, Sixers 11%.. the two teams who actually made the Finals? 4%.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
giphy.gif

Whatever. As I said I'm not sure how they compute this metric.

Looking at past several year models going into the playoffs...

2021, the model said the Clippers were the most likely team to win the Championship, with the Sixers being the second favorite. The Jazz and Nets were 3rd/4th. Only the Clippers made the Conference Finals, and were decimated by Kawhi being gone by then.

2020 is a wacky year, so I'm going to excuse it. It picked the Clippers at 29%, Lakers 22%, Bucks 21%, Celtics 11%. The Heat had a less than 1% chance. I would say on paper I would have given all those top 4 teams great chances at a title run that year.

2019 had the Warriors with a 58% chance winning into the playoffs, and Raptors 17%. The Bucks had a 15% chance. Model actually computes well here, though we know the Warriors didn't win.

2018 had the Rockets at 44%, Raptors 17%, Sixers 11%.. the two teams who actually made the Finals? 4%.
So sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad…I think CCS could come up with a metric that has that type of accuracy lol

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad…I think CCS could come up with a metric that has that type of accuracy lol
My predictions would have probably had more accuracy over this time frame.

"Warriors or LeBron."

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
My predictions would have probably had more accuracy over this time frame.

"Warriors or LeBron."
Agreed…don’t over think it usually.

this season it’s warriors or suns in the west and bucks, nets, or bulls in the east

if I had to pick one team to win it all this season, it’s gotta be the warriors still. I do think a bulls/warriors finals would be extremely entertaining just from a getting eyes on the TV aspect for the nba

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Agreed…don’t over think it usually.

this season it’s warriors or suns in the west and bucks, nets, or bulls in the east

if I had to pick one team to win it all this season, it’s gotta be the warriors still. I do think a bulls/warriors finals would be extremely entertaining just from a getting eyes on the TV aspect for the nba
Maybe the Bulls can finally avenge 1975!

I think its Warriors out of the West. I've been saying Nets/Bucks out of the East while discounting the Bulls, but if the Bulls keep this up, I won't be able to discount them much longer. I'm looking forward to the game on the 21st against the Bucks to see how the Bulls matchup (and hopefully everyone is healthy by then on both teams).

I'm not sure why the Jazz have high ratings. Neither Donovan nor Gobert are superstars, just both very good All-Stars. Jazz seem like that very good regular season team that just doesn't have results in the playoffs.

But, I'm weary of any hard prediction at the moment as I want the league to get through this bout of COVID and get teams back to normal so it can flush out the standings to be more to their true form.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Maybe the Bulls can finally avenge 1975!

I think its Warriors out of the West. I've been saying Nets/Bucks out of the East while discounting the Bulls, but if the Bulls keep this up, I won't be able to discount them much longer. I'm looking forward to the game on the 21st against the Bucks to see how the Bulls matchup (and hopefully everyone is healthy by then on both teams).

I'm not sure why the Jazz have high ratings. Neither Donovan nor Gobert are superstars, just both very good All-Stars. Jazz seem like that very good regular season team that just doesn't have results in the playoffs.

But, I'm weary of any hard prediction at the moment as I want the league to get through this bout of COVID and get teams back to normal so it can flush out the standings to be more to their true form.
Agreed on the bucks being the team I eagerly wait to see how the bulls matchup with