Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah that makes no sense, if Pace and Nagy are the "football" guys.. having Pace still be the Football guy making the decisions that he failed with is beyond stupid..

Pace needs help with big decisions.. so let's promote Pace to have the final say in football decisions even though we structured it so he already had that as GM.. see how illogical that is?

IF Phillips has been putting input into the football operations then it makes sense to remove him from that position and actually have Pace NOW have the final word.
I thought you're better than this. Had nothing to do with Pace other than assuming his promotion as a football guy which he obviously is regardless of competency. Phillips was not involved with player choices beyond what's already been described. George and Ted have said that Pace had final say on personnel yet you need to believe something else and now create an alternate narrative and change the topic to Paces competency. WTF?

Last edited:

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
President Of Operations= POO
Perfect description of Pace

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know that's what has been said, but with what Phillips was quoted saying it sound like that's not exactly the case..

"According to multiple sources connected to the team, Phillips has privately discussed distancing himself from football operations in recent months, making a frank acknowledgement to some confidants that the organization would benefit from a leader with greater football aptitude to oversee those in charge of the on-field product."
This post of yours contradicts your last one. Right or wrong if it's Pace getting the position, it's because they feel he can help where Teddy could not. Competency of Pace was not the disagreement.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
You're better than this. Had nothing to do with Pace other than assuming his promotion as a football guy which he obviously is regardless of competency. Phillips was not involved with player choices beyond what's already been described. George and Ted have said that Pace had final say on personnel yet you need to believe something else and now create an alternate narrative and change to topic to Paces competency. WTF?
Promoting a failed "football" guy to president of football operations makes zero sense. Yes that could be something the Bears could do because they are completely incompetent.

But if the "failed" GM, failed because of input from his boss?

The structure with the GM making all football decisions is fine. If it's not working you have the wrong GM, not the wrong president (accountant)

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Promoting a failed "football" guy to president of football operations makes zero sense. Yes that could be something the Bears could do because they are completely incompetent.

The structure with the GM making all football decisions is fine. If it's not working you have the wrong GM, not the wrong president (accountant)
There's no arguing with Bearly Right. He believes there are clear boundaries with job roles within the organization, yet it's been quite obvious for years this isn't the case.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The prospect of getting rid of Teddy, which has to be done, is tempered by the fact that Pace, a poor GM, could be his replacement. Three steps forward and two steps back.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

1641653999971.png
Nothing to do with what I said.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Champ Kelly. McCaskeys are loyal and try to keep it in house.
A glorified personnel director.

Moving Ryan to president is insulting to the fan base. He will still be the defacto GM with a different title.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's no arguing with Bearly Right. He believes there are clear boundaries with job roles within the organization, yet it's been quite obvious for years this isn't the case.
Aww. :cry:

Last edited:

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
This post of yours contradicts your last one. Right or wrong if it's Pace getting the position, it's because they feel he can help where Teddy could not. Competency of Pace was not the disagreement.
How does this contradict my point? Me quoting Phillips literally is the source of the speculation..

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Moving Ryan to president is insulting to the fan base. He will still be the defacto GM with a different title.
This. Would much prefer a fresh start but anyone that doesn't prefer Pace to Teddy there is a fool... as is anyone that thinks Teddy was involved in the day to day player or draft decisions.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wonder how true that really is. I know they said that Pace was the football guy but didnt Phillips make an announcement that he would be steeping back from the football side of the organization? So why make an announcement that your stepping away from something you dont have anything to do with?

It would be so Bears to have Phillips making football decisions but keeping it secret..

What does a team President do?

I know that's what has been said, but with what Phillips was quoted saying it sound like that's not exactly the case..

"According to multiple sources connected to the team, Phillips has privately discussed distancing himself from football operations in recent months, making a frank acknowledgement to some confidants that the organization would benefit from a leader with greater football aptitude to oversee those in charge of the on-field product."

This says to oversee those in charge of the on field product. Phillips is responsible for evaluating Pace. That is what this is talking about. This has fuck all to do with meddling in personnel decisions.

As a Partner I oversee the staff below me. I do not do their jobs for them or micro-manage them. I evaluate their performance and address issues they bring to me.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

This is getting silly. Virtually every team has a Team President or Head of Football operations and you guys know virtually none of them. Why? Because they rarely if ever are involved in the personnel decisions fans care about.

He will not be the defacto GM. He will be the Team President responsible for the performance evaluations of the GM and for the aspects of football operations fans know jack shit about.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Why would anyone want Pace to be responsible for those big decisions? His decision making (hiring coaches, trades in drafts, contracts and extensions) is easily the worst part of his portfolio. He is a solid college football scout with an eye for talent down in the draft. That's what he was with New Orleans and it's really the only think he's done in Chicago that wasn't below average.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Promoting a failed "football" guy to president of football operations makes zero sense. Yes that could be something the Bears could do because they areh completely incompetent.

I’m just gonna dislike you. You have to be doing it on purpose at this point…

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why would anyone want Pace to be responsible for those big decisions? His decision making (hiring coaches, trades in drafts, contracts and extensions) is easily the worst part of his portfolio. He is a solid college football scout with an eye for talent down in the draft. That's what he was with New Orleans and it's really the only think he's done in Chicago that wasn't below average.

I dont think anyone wants him to be responsible. I think some of us our resigned to the fact he may be and just saying lets not exaggerate the effect.

As Team President he is unlikely to be as deeply involved in player personnel. That is really the only point being made.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
What does a team President do?

This says to oversee those in charge of the on field product. Phillips is responsible for evaluating Pace. That is what this is talking about. This has fuck all to do with meddling in personnel decisions.

As a Partner I oversee the staff below me. I do not do their jobs for them or micro-manage them. I evaluate their performance and address issues they bring to me.
Well according to the Bears the President has nothing to do with football operations, thats up to the "football" guys with Pace and Nagy.

But it is strange that Phillips said he was distancing himself from football operations.. whats there to distance yourself from if you already have nothing to do with football operations?

Or to use your own example, You as a partner of a company you do not do the jobs of your staff.. so it would be a strange statement for you to make that you where distancing yourself from doing your staffs jobs.. Why would you make that statement if you have never done your staffs jobs? For you to make that statement you would have to be either insane.. or you actually had been doing the jobs and micro managing..

the problem here is there is 2 conflicting reports its either

A) Phillips has nothing to do with football operations

or

B) Phillips has been part of the football operations and he is now distancing himself from it.

Both things can not be true, so either A is correct and this "leak" has no truth to it. Or B is correct and they have been lying about how much input he has the whole time.

IF B is correct then moving Pace up to president makes a little bit of sense (depending on how much input and decisions Phillips actually had) But if A is correct then the only thing to do with Pace would be to fire him, not promote him.. I guess we will find out in a few days how much of this is just rumor..

napo55

Liked Posts:
I dont think anyone wants him to be responsible. I think some of us our resigned to the fact he may be and just saying lets not exaggerate the effect.

As Team President he is unlikely to be as deeply involved in player personnel. That is really the only point being made.
Normally you don't promote someone for failing . The usual practice is to fire them.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well according to the Bears the President has nothing to do with football operations, thats up to the "football" guys with Pace and Nagy.

But it is strange that Phillips said he was distancing himself from football operations.. whats there to distance yourself from if you already have nothing to do with football operations?

Or to use your own example, You as a partner of a company you do not do the jobs of your staff.. so it would be a strange statement for you to make that you where distancing yourself from doing your staffs jobs.. Why would you make that statement if you have never done your staffs jobs? For you to make that statement you would have to be either insane.. or you actually had been doing the jobs and micro managing..

the problem here is there is 2 conflicting reports its either

A) Phillips has nothing to do with football operations

or

B) Phillips has been part of the football operations and he is now distancing himself from it.

Both things can not be true, so either A is correct and this "leak" has no truth to it. Or B is correct and they have been lying about how much input he has the whole time.

IF B is correct then moving Pace up to president makes a little bit of sense (depending on how much input and decisions Phillips actually had) But if A is correct then the only thing to do with Pace would be to fire him, not promote him.. I guess we will find out in a few days how much of this is just rumor..

Because he is still responsible for evaluating the GM. There are also other elements of football operations he may still be involved in like org structure, facilities, etc.

The point is his role in football operations had very little to do with player evaluation and acquisition.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Normally you don't promote someone for failing . The usual practice is to fire them.

Depends. I have promoted people whose technical skills (eg player evaluation) were weak but they had excellent leadership and communication skills. Why? Because the higher up you go the less your success is dependent on the technical skills.

A Team President doesnt do much player evaluation and acquisition so the fact Pace sucks at that is less relevant to that role.

Last edited: