CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
The fundamental question is what do guys in similar roles make for a 1st time part time coaching gig.

That is the part of the story Olin left out.
I think I saw somewhere it is in the $25000 - $50,000 range. Not 100% sure.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's odd for a position coach to hire an assistant?

Not really. It is a part time gig not full time. It is more a way for coaches to get guys they want to break into coaching a taste of what it is like.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He did call him a hall of fame player…

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wouldn’t be surprised if George is somewhere on the autism spectrum

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t be surprised if George is somewhere on the autism spectrum

He does kind of remind me of some of those UK royals...weird, out of touch and probably took a flight on Jeffrey Epstein's plane at some point.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Dude is a good listen, but really kind of an asshole. Seems he hasn't changed much from his breaking a teammates jaw days.

Butt hurt by George McCaskey saying to take what he says with a grain of salt, he decides to call Harry Heistand to confirm his story.

OK, enough Olin.

Nope.

Ring,Ring,Ring:
Ryan Pace: Ryan Pace, may I help you?

Olin: Hi, it's Olin Kruentz, Ryan.

Pace: Hey Olin, I'm not sure I am up to answer any more questions about my firing, it has been a tough day on my entire family, my daughter can't stop crying about the fact she will have to leave all her friends and the teachers and school she loves.

Olin: No problem I didn't call about that. True or false, the Bears offered me a measly $15/hr to be a consultant one preseason?

Pace: What?

Olin: This is very important. Is that true or false?

Pace: Well the standard ex-player looking to get into coaching consultant contract does come out to about 15 dollars per...

Olin: Cool , got go do a radio thing.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Quite the answer from George McCaskey about the Olin Kreutz comments about being offered $15 an hour to coach up the Bears offense.

I don’t doubt Kreutz is telling the truth. That long pause and awkward response from George is pretty telling, I think.

At the same time, I think George probably would’ve given more of a non-answer if there wasn’t some credence to him saying that’s not “the whole story.”

It has me wondering if maybe this whole dumb Olin Kreutz situation hinges on a technicality—Like, maybe the Bears did ask him for advice, and he offered his services for free and they said, “Hey, that’s awesome. But for the books, it can’t be free—It has to be at least $15 an hour,” or some weird dumb bullshit like that.

There’s no way in hell a professional organization just straight up offered a former player a minimum wage job without context.

Why do you don't doubt Olin is telling the truth other than blind player worship?

George paused to parse his words because he knew what he was about to say was going to set off a firestorm and he was trying to find the most professional way to say it.

I wasn't aware that people who threw weights at people's heads and harrassed team mates made them unquestioned truth-tellers....

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So, basically George was spot on. Olin was making a big deal implying the Bears were cheap, because the stroy that he was offered a standard consulting deal didn't get him enough clicks.

Then he goes on and on in his radio bit about how he laid it the line for the Bears, like he wasn't paid handsomely to play football.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The whole story is simple. The Bears offered what coaching interns and 1st time coaches get offered for a part time coaching gig.

Yep, and Olin intentionally misrepresented it as just the cheap McCaskeys in order to get attention.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I didn't listen. Did he actually say he called Ryan Pace before he jumped on The Score to get him to confirm his side? hahahaha