Are We Underrating the Importance of WR

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They do - I think I'd rather fill that position than what's going to be on the WR market is all I am saying. Or OL. Whichever they do choose, CB/OL then do bpa in the draft with the second round pick. There is some good WR talent in the third round that should be there. Metchie, Ross, Tolbert.
If they spend $15mil per year on Jackson, that's pretty much all the cap they will have outside of small signings, unless they really push that contract. To me there there are just too many holes and I think I'd rather go bigger on offense if they choose to go big.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Bears need to stop copycatting the league and be what they really are. Strong defense, run the ball, and control TOP. Get beef block on the OL and let Fields use play action to his advantage. The problem the Bears have had ever since Trestman was here is trying to become a turf team playing on the worst field in the NFL. If they are going to build a new stadium and ditch SF, the conversation changes, but until then play to your strengths. Going against the grain does have its benefits too.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Averett got abused in every game I watched. Maybe by the end of the year he got targeted less because he was the only original rostered guy still healthy
52 receptions on 92 targets, 3 ints. He was alright when I watched him for the most part, but I admit it was probably less than 100 plays.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they spend $15mil per year on Jackson, that's pretty much all the cap they will have outside of small signings, unless they really push that contract. To me there there are just too many holes and I think I'd rather go bigger on offense if they choose to go big.
They can get up to $54M free by cutting Danny T, Cohen and Eddie Goldman. They have more than enough cap space to fill out a roster and make a few fa signings.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They can get up to $54M free by cutting Danny T, Cohen and Eddie Goldman. They have more than enough cap space to fill out a roster and make a few fa signings.
That would mean 28 players to bring on against the cap for $54mil. If you sign JC Jackson, that would leave you with about let's say $44mil for 27 players. There is not much room to operate there, given the numerous needs. But of it is possible.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
That would mean 28 players to bring on against the cap for $54mil. If you sign JC Jackson, that would leave you with about let's say $44mil for 27 players. There is not much room to operate there, given the numerous needs. But of it is possible.
Just wondering. Those 11 guys on futures contracts don't count I assume right?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Just wondering. Those 11 guys on futures contracts don't count I assume right?
No. But how many of them will count toward the final 53? Not many most likely because they will be on rookie deals and likely on the practice squad.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do we know what we even have in our OL? How much did Jenkins play? With Ifedi/Borom, what's there? Robinson is either done or fading or checked out. That really leaves Mooney. I do think we could trade for WR, but I think you can help the OL with scheme, but our WRs are pretty average at best. We don't have a WR1. I might be okay with three WR2. But I'm not sure how many WRs not named Mooney need to stay.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The Bears will try to follow the Ravens or Eagles model but in reality I want them to follow the Bengals or Bills. Assemble a superstar cast of superstars/playmakers that can win you games.
Can't afford the WRs in free agency that are on Diggs' level. Nobody in this draft is as good as Jamar Chase, and even the guys that might be close will be long gone by the 39th pick.

Also, really last year is the only time an absolutely loaded WR corps won a Superbowl, and they had the goat at QB.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
WR and OL in either order. And in abundance.

CB way way lower.

We need to figure out if Fields is the guy or not and get him all the help we can. If that means short changing the D for a year then it is what it is.
Between the draft and free agency i think we can get all 3 taken care of with good players. I'm only looking for a C for the OL though. I'm gonna re-sign Daniels, unless we can get a legit G for less on the market, and move forward with Jenkins, Borom, Whitehair and try to bring Ifedi back on the cheap to be the top backup at RT/RG.

WR is definitely where i'm putting most of my effort at and not just one opposite Mooney but we need to get someone for the slot as well.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep sadly next season will probably be a repeat of one year rentals at quite a few spots.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do we know what we even have in our OL? How much did Jenkins play? With Ifedi/Borom, what's there? Robinson is either done or fading or checked out. That really leaves Mooney. I do think we could trade for WR, but I think you can help the OL with scheme, but our WRs are pretty average at best. We don't have a WR1. I might be okay with three WR2. But I'm not sure how many WRs not named Mooney need to stay.
I would keep Jakeem Grant. I wouldn't over pay him or anything, 1 year deal again. With the right offense he could do some damage. Plus STer.

Plust dickhead traded a 6th for him.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Bears need to stop copycatting the league and be what they really are. Strong defense, run the ball, and control TOP. Get beef block on the OL and let Fields use play action to his advantage. The problem the Bears have had ever since Trestman was here is trying to become a turf team playing on the worst field in the NFL. If they are going to build a new stadium and ditch SF, the conversation changes, but until then play to your strengths. Going against the grain does have its benefits too.
Strong defense, run the ball and control TOP has led to 7 winning seasons this century, 0 playoff wins in 12 years, and domination by the Packers......who by the way play on a crappy field as well, in crappier weather and have no problems with throwing the ball all around that sh*thole of a stadium they have.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Every one of the greats had a favorite receiver when they were young, so yes, WR is very much a position of need.

All you need to do is look at Cincy. The "experts" were suggesting they draft a LT for Burrow, but instead, they get Chase for him and look at what happened.
Burrow was pretty damn good last year before he got Chase though and had AJ Green who wasn't even close to himself these days and T.Boyd and Higgins.

The OL doesn't have to be great for a QB to still be able to have good games/years and be able to win games. You need a good play caller and a good QB for that. Now of course your QB will take plenty of hits so i'm not saying it's a great decision to not have at least a decent OL but it's not absolutely needed to win, especially with a mobile QB as long as he knows how to use his mobility and when to throw or run and Fields has those issues right now.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I feel, on paper, the Bears had a formidable receiving Corp this past year. Yet, it seemed none of the receivers, except for Mooney were creating much seperation.

Sure, go and get some different receivers, but I'm convinced it had more to do with scheme and philosophy of Nagy. Too many curl routes and stationary targets. Not enough targets to our RB when Fiekds was in the game. Not many moving targets or slant options that could create YAC.

So, yes. Add a receiver or two. But, what is the tradeoff considering we are likely to let go of Arob, a 1,400 yard receiver. We likely aren't replacing his type of talent, so best to hope the passing game failures were mostly due to scheme and OL.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It’s a passing league…you are never going to win the SB anymore without a strong passing game. First we need an OL that can protect the QB. You don’t know if any of these guys can pass block. It’s a passing league.

We need a coach that can scheme to help the OL out. When was the last time the Bears made a team pay for blitzing, like the Packers have done consistently for the last 30 years? How many blitzes did the Bears pick up this year? Not very many. This stuff is BASIC. You need to be able to run screens with you RB’s. When you have certain packages in, you can’t run the same damned play every time. You can’t audible to the same damned play every time. You’ve got a good running game, use it to work in play action, it’s not illegal to do that. And how about having an outlet receiver in place that’s actually open…and not taking horrible sacks…and fixing errors instead of them showing up again and again throughout the season.

Ok, I’m still pissed at Nagy, but the offense was completely incompetent in every way but running ….and points off that for no PA. So much is on Nagy you don’t really know what you have.????

To answer the question, I like DM, but he’s not a number one. You have to address that in FA, as well as at least one OL. Then draft OL or CB with your second round pick, whichever is better. Draft a QB, that should happen every year. Implement a competent modern NFL passing attack. You’ll never win the SB until you do.

Last edited:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Every one of the greats had a favorite receiver when they were young, so yes, WR is very much a position of need.

All you need to do is look at Cincy. The "experts" were suggesting they draft a LT for Burrow, but instead, they get Chase for him and look at what happened.
Yes I was telling my brother who is a big Bengals fan for a year they should take Sewell as 1st pick to protect Burrows and then Chase dropped 100 balls in pre season THEN the regular season happened, shows how little I know.