The Safest Head Coaching Candidate

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

1641958407342.png

The safest hire: Matt Patricia, Lions

The Titans aren’t the only team trying to replicate the Patriot Way. Lions GM Bob Quinn, New England’s former director of player personnel, got his first chance to a hire a head coach and went after a Belichick disciple. Patricia had been the Patriots’ defensive coordinator since 2012, winning two Super Bowls and appearing in three.

Patricia can go into the Lions job focusing on what he does best: defense. He’s got a franchise quarterback that’s been paid his money (Matthew Stafford), leading an offense that finished 13th in the NFL. Sure, there’s room for improvement — big red arrow point to the running game — but with the NFL’s 27th-ranked defense in 2017, Patricia’s services could help balance an imbalanced team.

The Lions also retained Jim Bob Cooter as their offensive coordinator, which is good news because 1) he’s good and 2) he’s got the best name in the NFL. Patricia can take his lessons learned from the almighty Belichick, and perhaps help the Lions end their 26-year playoff win drought.

Save you a click: Matt Nagy was considered the most "Sean McVayish."

Just a reminder. No one knows anything.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am constantly asking people two questions.

Who told you that?

How the fuck do they know?

And people do not have great answers.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I was totally a fan of Nagy's, I have no problem admitting, but I definitely didn't think Patricia was going to be a good head coach.

Even though I am a fan of Flores, betting on Belichick's coaches to fail as head coaches is easy money.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was totally a fan of Nagy's, I have no problem admitting, but I definitely didn't think Patricia was going to be a good head coach.

Even though I am a fan of Flores, betting on Belichick's coaches to fail as head coaches is easy money.
I’d say 85% of CCS liked the Nagy hire and the ppl who didn’t had no reason other then they wanted to be edgy and different. He checked a lot of good boxes. Ppl who say they didn’t like the hire now are just lying more than likely.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

mecha

Liked Posts:
I’d say 85% of CCS liked the Nagy hire and the ppl who didn’t had no reason other then they wanted to be edgy and different. He checked a lot of good boxes. Ppl who say they didn’t like the hire now are just lying more than likely.
he had a lot of positives in year 1. was he coach of the year worthy? I don't know. once the defense stopped being a strength for the team he was exposed pretty quick. the last couple years in particular were very bad.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
fuck you op
53HN.gif

mecha

Liked Posts:
Patricia, another in the long line of failed Belichick disciples. yeah, he's a safe hire.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm going to wait to reserve full judgment until we actually see how things play out next season.

I'm tired of overhyped gurus and hot candidates.

Show me first.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am constantly asking people two questions.

Who told you that?

How the fuck do they know?

And people do not have great answers.
I read it on the interwebs?

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I remember the majority felt like it was a good hire but the red flag coming in was Nagy taking over play calling for KC at the end of that season and into the playoffs where their offense sputtered and couldn't put up points. I even remember Nagy having to answer questions about that at his press conference. That red flag turned out to be a pretty valid concern but after his year 1 success riding on the Fangio's defensive successes, I think most people weren't as concerned but then year 2 hit and that red flag felt like it was a pretty big sign. It really is amazing that Nagy was so stubborn to give up play calling duties when it has always appeared to be his Achilles heel even going back to KC.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Whether you like or hate the hire doesn’t really matter. What matters is after 3 years they don’t fire inept hires. They are either too dumb or too cheap. I’m leaning on cheap. George said I looked at the team and see no playmakers. You’re telling me that dumb ass saw playmakers last season but not this season? When it’s time to move on they don’t

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember the majority felt like it was a good hire but the red flag coming in was Nagy taking over play calling for KC at the end of that season and into the playoffs where their offense sputtered and couldn't put up points. I even remember Nagy having to answer questions about that at his press conference. That red flag turned out to be a pretty valid concern but after his year 1 success riding on the Fangio's defensive successes, I think most people weren't as concerned but then year 2 hit and that red flag felt like it was a pretty big sign. It really is amazing that Nagy was so stubborn to give up play calling duties when it has always appeared to be his Achilles heel even going back to KC.
Nagy probably would be a decent HC if he had an actual good play caller on his staff who he didn’t meddle with. I don’t believe that Nagy will ever have the humility to not meddle though.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
he had a lot of positives in year 1. was he coach of the year worthy? I don't know. once the defense stopped being a strength for the team he was exposed pretty quick. the last couple years in particular were very bad.
Seems like he took advantage of a league that didn't know what to expect from him. After that, the league was onto him and he didn't have any stellar talent to be able to overcome that. That said, he didn't do the team any favors by trying to turn Trubisky into a short-drop pocket passer, effectively negating his ability to scramble.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
who thought Patricia was the safest hire? He was one I didn't want from the beginning.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I’m good with Harbaugh/Pederson/Flores….now the GM that pairs up with them is super important but any of those 3 are legit NFL coaches.

I mean, shouldn't they hire a GM and let him select the coach?