Hawks Broadcaster Tryout Thread

Granada

Liked Posts:
Just figured I'd make a thread where we could vent about all the horrible broadcasters trying to fill the Hawks' box for the foreseeable future.

Can somebody tell Colby Cohen that nobody wants to hear any color guy talk more than the play-by-play guy, especially when said guy is Colby Cohen?

Can somebody tell the play-by-play guy (all of which have sucked, with the exception of Wiedman, who's done like one game), that if the ref has his arm up and the feed is about to cut to the commercial, it's your fucking job to at least say, "Delayed call when we get back," as opposed to nothing? I mean, you should know what the damn penalty is already, but if you don't, you should at least know that one is going to be called. Really not much to ask.

Can somebody tell the Hawks that instead of subjecting us to a plethora of horrible broadcasters for an entire year, they should really just simplify this entire process and give the play-by-play to the only logical choice in Wiedeman? If they are going to make the GM search as unnecessarily complicated as their Broadcaster search, we're really effed.

Sorry, I've just had it with these terrible broadcasters. The guy doing the game against Columbus last night (can't remember his name now) was abysmal. I can forgive a home broadcaster misidentifying opposing-team players, but when the guy is routinely misidentifying Hawk players, it's Dan Kelly unforgivable.

Last edited:

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
Just figured I'd make a thread where we could vent about all the horrible broadcasters trying to fill the Hawks' box for the foreseeable future.

Can somebody tell Colby Cohen that nobody wants to hear any color guy talk more than that play-by-play guy, especially when said guy is Colby Cohen?

Can somebody tell the play-by-play guy (all of which have sucked, with the exception of Wiedman, who's done like one game), that if the ref has his arm up and the feed is about to cut to the commercial, it's your fucking job to at least say, "Delayed call when we get back," as opposed to nothing? I mean, you should know what the damn penalty is already, but if you don't, you should at least know that one is going to be called. Really not much to ask.

Can somebody tell the Hawks that instead of subjecting us to a plethora of horrible broadcasters for an entire year, they should really just simplify this entire process and give the play-by-play to the only logical choice in Wiedeman? If they are going to make the GM search as unnecessarily complicated as their Broadcaster search, we're really effed.

Sorry, I've just had it with these terrible broadcasters. The guy doing the game against Columbus last night (can't remember his name now) was abysmal. I can forgive a home broadcaster misidentifying opposing-team players, but when the guy is routinely misidentifying Hawk players, it's Dan Kelly unforgivable.

I was going to say they should just bring Dan Kelly back at this point. I have some nostalgia for quotes like, "HAVLAT.... BLUE LINE.... SCORES!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Can somebody tell Colby Cohen that nobody wants to hear any color guy talk more than that play-by-play guy, especially when said guy is Colby Cohen?

I agree with you 100%.

I agree with their move to look for fresh broadcasting people, but this has gone from bad to worse.

I'd also say the pre/post game coverage is kinda shitty.

Caley Chelios is extremely like nervous and rigid on set and I don't think being paired with a dude like Pat Boyle is helping.

Pat Boyle is one of those generic broadcast guys who sets zero tone, offers no personal insights, just reads the script like a pro in his broadcast voice.

If they keep her, they need to get her a partner that she clicks with, and also ditch the covid distancing bullshit, it makes the set and show very dead, lots of just dead space and dead air.

Or do the show in like a Hawks basement type of setup with the two broadcast partners together, even if that must be done remotely.

All of the Chicago local sports broadcasts have really gone downhill, but covid and the cuts they made are producing a really really shitty product that I often just choose not to watch.

Honestly you could have @Grimson and @HeHateMe in a decked out Hawks cave and let them spitball about hockey before the game, in between periods, and after the game, and it'd have to be better than this dry/scripted shit they put out every game.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have to say, on every platform I troll around on the interwebs, I have never heard anyone say anything positive about Colby Cohen. Not a single person. I've even seem some past back from the late 2010's about his time in Philly as an analyst and everyone there thought he sucked, too.

Is NBCSC not paying attention? The dude sucks. Nobody likes him.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Only thing I can say to all this is that while his last couple of years have shown him slipping, everyone is gonna miss Pat Foley when he's gone. As far as the pre/post games and between periods.....I stopped watching them quite awhile ago. It's not only boring and misinformed but it's so damn redundant. Almost scripted....of course, it's a Blackhawks' production so you certainly won't ever hear the real reasons why this team is terrible.

BTW, I agree heartily with @LordKOTL.....Colby Cohen not only is a tedious watch/listen but is also annoying as hell. He could really use a large dose of STFU.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Only thing I can say to all this is that while his last couple of years have shown him slipping, everyone is gonna miss Pat Foley when he's gone. As far as the pre/post games and between periods.....I stopped watching them quite awhile ago. It's not only boring and misinformed but it's so damn redundant. Almost scripted....of course, it's a Blackhawks' production so you certainly won't ever hear the real reasons why this team is terrible.

BTW, I agree heartily with @LordKOTL.....Colby Cohen not only is a tedious watch/listen but is also annoying as hell. He could really use a large dose of STFU.
I've been saying this for ages about Foley -- people don't know how good they have it until it's gone. Yeah, Foley lost a step, but compared to about 90% of NHL Teams, he was still sensational compared to them, even when he lost a step. Seriously, go listen to other teams' broadcasters, they're all just as bad and downright worse. And this little tryout the Hawks are having only illustrates that point all the more.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I agree with you 100%.

I agree with their move to look for fresh broadcasting people, but this has gone from bad to worse.

I'd also say the pre/post game coverage is kinda shitty.

Caley Chelios is extremely like nervous and rigid on set and I don't think being paired with a dude like Pat Boyle is helping.

Pat Boyle is one of those generic broadcast guys who sets zero tone, offers no personal insights, just reads the script like a pro in his broadcast voice.

If they keep her, they need to get her a partner that she clicks with, and also ditch the covid distancing bullshit, it makes the set and show very dead, lots of just dead space and dead air.

Or do the show in like a Hawks basement type of setup with the two broadcast partners together, even if that must be done remotely.

All of the Chicago local sports broadcasts have really gone downhill, but covid and the cuts they made are producing a really really shitty product that I often just choose not to watch.

Honestly you could have @Grimson and @HeHateMe in a decked out Hawks cave and let them spitball about hockey before the game, in between periods, and after the game, and it'd have to be better than this dry/scripted shit they put out every game.
I mean, for all intents and purposes, Pat Boyle is fine. He sure as hell is a lot better than Chris Boden, that's for sure. But Caley Chelios, yeah -- nothing special. When her and Colby are both doing the pre/post games, they both drive me nuts. They always have to say the other's name for some reason, I can't tell if they're flirting or patronizing one another. Either way, it's annoying. And also, can Boyle stop introducing Colby as an "NHL veteran defenseman"? The guy played 3 fucking games -- I mean that's great, but still, it's just silly.

What I will say about Boyle/Chelios is that, they are light-years better than the utter shit ESPN hires in Bissonette and Tocchet. I can stomach Boyle/Chelios, but I can't stomach the latter pair, which sucks because I used to like watching that coverage to catch up on league news. But I seriously can not keep them on, I have to change the channel. Bissonette especially is just such a tool, it's unbearable.

Cohen is annoying as hell, but last night he tried to give the play-by-play guy shit on-air, which really makes me dislike him.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I mean, for all intents and purposes, Pat Boyle is fine. He sure as hell is a lot better than Chris Boden, that's for sure. But Caley Chelios, yeah -- nothing special. When her and Colby are both doing the pre/post games, they both drive me nuts. They always have to say the other's name for some reason, I can't tell if they're flirting or patronizing one another. Either way, it's annoying. And also, can Boyle stop introducing Colby as an "NHL veteran defenseman"? The guy played 3 fucking games -- I mean that's great, but still, it's just silly.

What I will say about Boyle/Chelios is that, they are light-years better than the utter shit ESPN hires in Bissonette and Tocchet. I can stomach Boyle/Chelios, but I can't stomach the latter pair, which sucks because I used to like watching that coverage to catch up on league news. But I seriously can not keep them on, I have to change the channel. Bissonette especially is just such a tool, it's unbearable.

Cohen is annoying as hell, but last night he tried to give the play-by-play guy shit on-air, which really makes me dislike him.

Chelios has the name recognition, but idk if that helps her stick around.

They're clearly going for a new generation broadcast, for a rebuilding team, and a newer 18-35 market that is a whole different generation from Edzo and Foley.

My hope is this they will cast new folks next year and improve the broadcasts.

In general I find NBC Sports Chicago to feel like a dying product that is on the verge of being replaced, but it just hasn't happened yet.

They cut the majority of their programming during 2020, and just kinda left it that way.

Cubs moved to Marquee, Sox had like 4-5 total people doing broadcasts, so short staffed that Jason Bennetti or Steve Stone often had to sub in for pre and post game with Chuck Garfein because they wouldn't pay for additional broadcast resources. No more shows where local beat writers come on to talk. No sideline reporters or auxiliary of any kind to fill in or add different perspectives.

I reminds me of when we tried to shutter a product I worked on, for 5 years in a row lol.

Every year, we'd keep cutting resources and doing more band-aids because we were telling the customers, what we were told, which was that the legacy product was ending that year and the new product would take over the following year.

And each year there were major reasons the new product couldn't take over, most notably because it was never actually built, it was vaporware for 5 years lol.

That's kinda how this feels with NBC Sports Chicago, like they are just waiting for the product to finally get the axe and move on to something else.

Orestes

Liked Posts:

Can somebody tell Colby Cohen that nobody wants to hear any color guy talk more than the play-by-play guy, especially when said guy is Colby Cohen?

Yes, unfortunately, Weideman may be the only TV option. He would have to tone down his superb play-by-play for the visual medium. Even the late, great Jim Durham was out of his element on TV. Then on radio, Joey Szawszewski subbed for Wiedeman last week and he was decent.

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
Chelios has the name recognition, but idk if that helps her stick around.

They're clearly going for a new generation broadcast, for a rebuilding team, and a newer 18-35 market that is a whole different generation from Edzo and Foley.

My hope is this they will cast new folks next year and improve the broadcasts.

In general I find NBC Sports Chicago to feel like a dying product that is on the verge of being replaced, but it just hasn't happened yet.

They cut the majority of their programming during 2020, and just kinda left it that way.

Cubs moved to Marquee, Sox had like 4-5 total people doing broadcasts, so short staffed that Jason Bennetti or Steve Stone often had to sub in for pre and post game with Chuck Garfein because they wouldn't pay for additional broadcast resources. No more shows where local beat writers come on to talk. No sideline reporters or auxiliary of any kind to fill in or add different perspectives.

I reminds me of when we tried to shutter a product I worked on, for 5 years in a row lol.

Every year, we'd keep cutting resources and doing more band-aids because we were telling the customers, what we were told, which was that the legacy product was ending that year and the new product would take over the following year.

And each year there were major reasons the new product couldn't take over, most notably because it was never actually built, it was vaporware for 5 years lol.

That's kinda how this feels with NBC Sports Chicago, like they are just waiting for the product to finally get the axe and move on to something else.

Yeah, they are probably going for a "younger" broadcaster, which worries me, because they should pick Wiedeman. He is the only choice in my view, even though he's no spring chicken. It's just stupid -- let's pick someone because they're young. Anyways...I actually like Olczyk. Yes, sometimes he gets too goofy, but I hope he sticks around as color.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, they are probably going for a "younger" broadcaster, which worries me, because they should pick Wiedeman. He is the only choice in my view, even though he's no spring chicken. It's just stupid -- let's pick someone because they're young. Anyways...I actually like Olczyk. Yes, sometimes he gets too goofy, but I hope he sticks around as color.

There's a false premise in the world, that the way to go from Old to Young is like ripping off a band-aid.

What you end up with are younger adults doing jobs without the guidance of experienced hands to give them the foundations they need to be successful.

I'd like to have seen youth come in and do their tryouts working with Edzo and Foley the last 4-5 years.

I also think they got rid of talented people like Suzanne Collins when she said the word "sex" mistakenly instead of "success" and was fired for it.

I think we all forget how much talent has been drained out of our society's work pool by our strangely Puritan Twitter overlords.

Can't be on TV unless you've never said anything you shouldn't have said.

Granada

Liked Posts:
There's a false premise in the world, that the way to go from Old to Young is like ripping off a band-aid.

What you end up with are younger adults doing jobs without the guidance of experienced hands to give them the foundations they need to be successful.

I'd like to have seen youth come in and do their tryouts working with Edzo and Foley the last 4-5 years.

I also think they got rid of talented people like Suzanne Collins when she said the word "sex" mistakenly instead of "success" and was fired for it.

I think we all forget how much talent has been drained out of our society's work pool by our strangely Puritan Twitter overlords.

Can't be on TV unless you've never said anything you shouldn't have said.
Yeah that was so ridiculous, I can't believe she was fired for that.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Not if he gets a role with the Blackhawks.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'm glad they are looking to infuse good young talent into the broadcasting booth, but this is a tough gig to get thrown into especially in a season like this with so many guys moving all over. The real problem is they have been pairing most new guys with new guys, if they wanted to have a true tryout they should be pairing them more with vets to center them. It's truely been horrible. I was hopeful their would be one person who would run away with it but I haven't seen them yet. This is the sort of thing you do in a small market team for a promotion and to get fan interest. For a team like the hawks in a town with a LONG LONG history of hall of fame broadcasters throughout sports, you can just throw two kids out there and say win the job. Studio, both, analyst, it's all been pretty horrific.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm glad they are looking to infuse good young talent into the broadcasting booth, but this is a tough gig to get thrown into especially in a season like this with so many guys moving all over. The real problem is they have been pairing most new guys with new guys, if they wanted to have a true tryout they should be pairing them more with vets to center them. It's truely been horrible. I was hopeful their would be one person who would run away with it but I haven't seen them yet. This is the sort of thing you do in a small market team for a promotion and to get fan interest. For a team like the hawks in a town with a LONG LONG history of hall of fame broadcasters throughout sports, you can just throw two kids out there and say win the job. Studio, both, analyst, it's all been pretty horrific.

Makes me wonder if local NHL broadcasts aren't long for this world.

Perhaps they plan to just squash it all and hand it over to ESPN, let them put together universal broadcast crews that just rotate thru ala how the NFL does it.

FTR I hate the way the NFL does it, and I much prefer hometown broadcast crews who love the team they are covering.

These are places where Capitalist efficiency is harmful to the overall product IMO.

People prefer that sports broadcasters actually know, and care, about the team they are covering, more than just a blip on the resume in their effort to climb the ladder within NBC or elsewhere.

They wanna sell an entertainment product, and think its a good idea to make it more and more bland.

I can barely watch most of ESPN or Fox or NBC sports productions, they are just a bunch of stiffs reading off teleprompters, and do not really seem to give a fuck.

One day sports will just be covered by regular "news" people.

"Is Anderson Cooper doing the Hawks Game 7 broadcast or did they get Kelly Rippa?"

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Makes me wonder if local NHL broadcasts aren't long for this world.

Perhaps they plan to just squash it all and hand it over to ESPN, let them put together universal broadcast crews that just rotate thru ala how the NFL does it.

FTR I hate the way the NFL does it, and I much prefer hometown broadcast crews who love the team they are covering.

These are places where Capitalist efficiency is harmful to the overall product IMO.

People prefer that sports broadcasters actually know, and care, about the team they are covering, more than just a blip on the resume in their effort to climb the ladder within NBC or elsewhere.

They wanna sell an entertainment product, and think its a good idea to make it more and more bland.

I can barely watch most of ESPN or Fox or NBC sports productions, they are just a bunch of stiffs reading off teleprompters, and do not really seem to give a fuck.

One day sports will just be covered by regular "news" people.

"Is Anderson Cooper doing the Hawks Game 7 broadcast or did they get Kelly Rippa?"
For football I think they can do that because it's pretty simple centralized scheduling. With the MNF games and TNF games, you basically have a max of 14 games on sunday you can just rotate folks around regionally. I swear to god if i have to hear Gus Johnson and Aqib Taliq one more time I may just end it.

For hockey it makes a little more sense to have more crews but what I think you might see is something similar to what you are saying in that they may just have a crew stationed in each city and not have home and away anymore. Just have a chicago crew do all chicago feeds and when we go to minnesota we get the minnesota crew. that sucks hard for pre and post game, but the hawks don't have a particularly strong game there either.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For football I think they can do that because it's pretty simple centralized scheduling. With the MNF games and TNF games, you basically have a max of 14 games on sunday you can just rotate folks around regionally. I swear to god if i have to hear Gus Johnson and Aqib Taliq one more time I may just end it.

For hockey it makes a little more sense to have more crews but what I think you might see is something similar to what you are saying in that they may just have a crew stationed in each city and not have home and away anymore. Just have a chicago crew do all chicago feeds and when we go to minnesota we get the minnesota crew. that sucks hard for pre and post game, but the hawks don't have a particularly strong game there either.

I wonder how far they take the efficiency.

You could boil it down to like 30 people. they all work remote, they rotate who works with who based purely on schedule and availability.

Basically treat those employees no different from shift workers at a McDonalds, and possibly you could pay them bare bones as well.

Why stop making the product cheaper and shittier when the consumer keeps buying it.

They'd whittle down those 30 to the point where smaller market games might get just 1 person or no one at all, just the cameras following the action and the commercials.

I can think of a million ways to make professional sports shittier and cheaper to produce, and the only thing that will stop them is if the fans stop tuning in and providing them with ad revenue.

I'm cutting the cord in March and I generally have stopped watching major sports broadcasts, not because I hate sports, but because watching them has become a fucking chore.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I wonder how far they take the efficiency.

You could boil it down to like 30 people. they all work remote, they rotate who works with who based purely on schedule and availability.

Basically treat those employees no different from shift workers at a McDonalds, and possibly you could pay them bare bones as well.

Why stop making the product cheaper and shittier when the consumer keeps buying it.

They'd whittle down those 30 to the point where smaller market games might get just 1 person or no one at all, just the cameras following the action and the commercials.

I can think of a million ways to make professional sports shittier and cheaper to produce, and the only thing that will stop them is if the fans stop tuning in and providing them with ad revenue.

I'm cutting the cord in March and I generally have stopped watching major sports broadcasts, not because I hate sports, but because watching them has become a fucking chore.
I mean.... if they all work remost then you might not even need 30 people, you have regional crews, and say double each crew up overlapping the teams, so you have one team do Chicago and St. Louis, and on a night that they are both playing somewhere you have the Minnesota team back them up. You basically then have crews run every night a week all through the season. There is probably only a max of what 13 games a night, so that's 26 people. And I think it's only that high because of reschedules. so you then change the scheduling so that you only need a max of 10 games a night, 20 broadcasters, roll them all around in their pajamas and boom... profits.

Don't forget too, this then has the added bonus of not needing home and away broadcasts, you can cut down on camera and production crews, pipe in the organ and fire frank. At this point you don't even need fans so fire the concessions. Trot a different honored legend out for each game. fan experience spectacular. Everything goes crypto and NFT. By this time next year it won't even be booth announcers or players they'll just simulate the game and have generic broadcasting that Madden 22 would put to shame.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I mean.... if they all work remost then you might not even need 30 people, you have regional crews, and say double each crew up overlapping the teams, so you have one team do Chicago and St. Louis, and on a night that they are both playing somewhere you have the Minnesota team back them up. You basically then have crews run every night a week all through the season. There is probably only a max of what 13 games a night, so that's 26 people. And I think it's only that high because of reschedules. so you then change the scheduling so that you only need a max of 10 games a night, 20 broadcasters, roll them all around in their pajamas and boom... profits.

Don't forget too, this then has the added bonus of not needing home and away broadcasts, you can cut down on camera and production crews, pipe in the organ and fire frank. At this point you don't even need fans so fire the concessions. Trot a different honored legend out for each game. fan experience spectacular. Everything goes crypto and NFT. By this time next year it won't even be booth announcers or players they'll just simulate the game and have generic broadcasting that Madden 22 would put to shame.

The kicker is where you start cutting the real game in a real stadium because let's be honest, a Hawks game is this weird explosion of girls/women 18-35 in leggings and Hawks sweaters. Its the only way they keep ticket sales up, is that women need to parade their leggings and Hawks sweaters (Kane/Toews for most pairs, matching colors).

If you take that away from them, they might just murder you.

Where else can they get that fix? Thousands of identically dressed hockey basic bitches?

Unless you trick them all into living in VR by then, in which case all bets are off.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thank you for starting this...I thought I was being curmudgeonly because my assessment of the Foley Replacement Tour is that they all suck. The guys doing broadcast are twits, Chelios daughter is wooden and monotone. Pat Boyle looks like a guy who saw an ad for a job he doesn't really want, but rent's due so eh, I'll take it.