***OFFICAL*** Bears GM/Coaching Search News Thread

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
A former Bronco , DJ Williams, claims the Broncos were only successful initially under Josh McD because they filmed other team's practices.

His timeline is messed up because he claims it was when they were 6-0 and then went to London, but the 6-0 start and the London game were separate years. However the spying was apparently true.

McDaniels and the Broncos were each fined $50K in Mini-Spygate, and McDaniels was fired not long after.

Hard fucking pass on this flaming douchebag!!
That nosedive they did in year 1 was an all-timer.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Texans' list of candidates allegedly includes Brian Flores, Josh McDaniels and Jerod Mayo.

I guess after the Bill O'Brien fiasco, they just figured: We need more of that Patriots' flavor!

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Everyone knows he's the next R. Wilson

The verdict is clearly still out on Fields. It doesn't make sense to say otherwise. For the Bears to be considered the top destination it requires that a coach or GM believes the upside of Fields trumps other teams that have some combination of superior roster talent, significantly greater cap space, and/or more draft capital.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The verdict is clearly still out on Fields. It doesn't make sense to say otherwise. For the Bears to be considered the top destination it requires that a coach or GM believes the upside of Fields trumps other teams that have some combination of superior roster talent, significantly greater cap space, and/or more draft capital.
Having the future QB in place is huge, so those who believe Fields in in fact that guy will weigh that factor.

As GM, the cap space and draft picks in 2022 should not be a huge factor as they are a one year issue. The Bears have what, five picks? Missing a first of course. After that, is it that huge a factor?

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Having the future QB in place is huge, so those who believe Fields in in fact that guy will weigh that factor.

As GM, the cap space and draft picks in 2022 should not be a huge factor as they are a one year issue. The Bears have what, five picks? Missing a first of course. After that, is it that huge a factor?

I agree that those that believe in Fields will heavily weigh that factor. But does it trump all the other negatives with this team (lack of high talent, draft capitals, cap space, etc?

I disagree that draft capital and cap space are not a huge factor for a GM. Draft picks and cap room help turn around a team quickly. It will be hard for the Bears to rebuild the roster quickly with 5 picks and middle of the road cap space (but with lots of holes). Like the Bears, the Jags also have a QB with a high ceiling but also the top pick in the 2022 draft and significant cap space. The miami dolphins may have an unsettled QB situation (unless a GM or coach believes in Too) but have the most cap space in the league this offseason. The broncos have a lot of young talent, 11 picks in the upcoming drafts, and amply cap space. No QB tho. The Raiders, if the coach is fired, have a better roster than the Bears, a QB that although non elite is considered a franchise quality player, and similar cap space to the bears.

I'm not denying that it's a potential attractive job because of Fields, but I disagree with the claim that it's the top job. Which I realize you never took that position but others on this board have.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Really doesn’t need a crystal ball for that one
And yet he mentioned it the day of the interview and just pulled it out of thin air? Seems damn lucky if that’s the case. The guys a dick but I’ve seen enough to think he’s a connected dick.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Eh. A top 5 OL, top 5 RB duo in Harris/Stevenson and top 5 TE due with Henry/Smith. Really just weak at WR which does matter much when you dinkikg and dunking as much as they do.
I'll give you OL and maybe RB, but TE's was nothing special. Jonnu was useless this year and Henry was 2020 Jimmy Graham with a 17th game added, and they did it with a physically limited rookie QB.

There's more red flags with McDaniel's than a 1940's soviet military parade, but that dude can coach. I don't think another coach in the league gets nearly the production out of that offensive roster.

McDaniel's would likely implode at some point, but to me he is worth rolling the dice on. He might be the highest upside coach out there.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I agree that those that believe in Fields will heavily weigh that factor. But does it trump all the other negatives with this team (lack of high talent, draft capitals, cap space, etc?

I disagree that draft capital and cap space are not a huge factor for a GM. Draft picks and cap room help turn around a team quickly. It will be hard for the Bears to rebuild the roster quickly with 5 picks and middle of the road cap space (but with lots of holes). Like the Bears, the Jags also have a QB with a high ceiling but also the top pick in the 2022 draft and significant cap space. The miami dolphins may have an unsettled QB situation (unless a GM or coach believes in Too) but have the most cap space in the league this offseason. The broncos have a lot of young talent, 11 picks in the upcoming drafts, and amply cap space. No QB tho. The Raiders, if the coach is fired, have a better roster than the Bears, a QB that although non elite is considered a franchise quality player, and similar cap space to the bears.

I'm not denying that it's a potential attractive job because of Fields, but I disagree with the claim that it's the top job. Which I realize you never took that position but others on this board have.
As far as draft capital specifically, they are short a 1st THIS year. After that they have as much draft capital as anyone.

A GM isn't taking a job based on one year. Or at least shouldn't be.

If you didn't have the QB and did have the first rounder, would it be more attractive? Is the Giants job more attractive because of two high firsts when they aren't sure they have their QB and there are no highly considered QBs coming out this year?

Jax has their QB and draft picks, so that is attractive short term for a coach. But that may be a deciding factor if all else is equal, it won't be a candidates only factor. Jax has positives, but is it attractive to FA's? A year ago I expected it would be with Urban.

Now? They're coming off a total shitshow of a season, have egg on their face, and are considering Bill O'Brien! Good luck attracting star players.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'll give you OL and maybe RB, but TE's was nothing special. Jonnu was useless this year and Henry was 2020 Jimmy Graham with a 17th game added, and they did it with a physically limited rookie QB.

There's more red flags with McDaniel's than a 1940's soviet military parade, but that dude can coach. I don't think another coach in the league gets nearly the production out of that offensive roster.

McDaniel's would likely implode at some point, but to me he is worth rolling the dice on. He might be the highest upside coach out there.

They got 900 yards and 10 TDs from Henty and Smith.

McDaniels is a good OC. Doesnt mean he is a good HC. He is not trustworthy which is not a good quality for a HC.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
As far as draft capital specifically, they are short a 1st THIS year. After that they have as much draft capital as anyone.

A GM isn't taking a job based on one year. Or at least shouldn't be.

If you didn't have the QB and did have the first rounder, would it be more attractive? Is the Giants job more attractive because of two high firsts when they aren't sure they have their QB and there are no highly considered QBs coming out this year?

Jax has their QB and draft picks, so that is attractive short term for a coach. But that may be a deciding factor if all else is equal, it won't be a candidates only factor. Jax has positives, but is it attractive to FA's? A year ago I expected it would be with Urban.

Now? They're coming off a total shitshow of a season, have egg on their face, and are considering Bill O'Brien! Good luck attracting star players.

I think we can both agree the Giants job is probably the least attractive ha.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think we can both agree the Giants job is probably the least attractive ha.
I wouldn't imagine that Texans job is real attractive.

Denver might be since they can be a destination for Rodgers or Watson.

Jacksonville has the QB but is a shitshow.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I wouldn't imagine that Texans job is real attractive.

Denver might be since they can be a destination for Rodgers or Watson.

Jacksonville has the QB but is a shitshow.

I guess it depends on what happens with Watson.

If Denver can get a QB (easier said than done, obviously) that might be the top spot. Like I said earlier, they have young talent on both sides of the ball and amply cap space/draft picks.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
@TL1961 what candidates interest you or ones that you're hoping they land?

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Any word/rumor/tweet about how the Kwesi Adofo Mensah interview went today?

Just curious. I guess if I had a GM favorite other than Dodds then he's it.