***OFFICAL*** Bears GM/Coaching Search News Thread

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The list of coaching candidates is meh.

The best is Daboll. Offensive guy, a mountain of experience despite his age under the likes of Belicheck, Saban, Romeo Crennel and Eric Mangini.

The next best is Leslie Frazier. Same as above but a defensive guy. Would need a strong coordinator.
what makes Daboll the best offensive guy? I'm just curious. He was trash everywhere he has been except for 2 years with Josh Allen. I'm really curious why people keep saying he's the best offensive person when his resume is filled with experience but terrible offensive rankings. I'd be ok with it if the Bears hire him. I think he ends up in Miami anyway. He coached Tua at Alabama if I'm not mistaken

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
what makes Daboll the best offensive guy? I'm just curious. He was trash everywhere he has been except for 2 years with Josh Allen. I'm really curious why people keep saying he's the best offensive person when his resume is filled with experience but terrible offensive rankings. I'd be ok with it if the Bears hire him. I think he ends up in Miami anyway. He coached Tua at Alabama if I'm not mistaken
I don’t want Daboll. But I would assume people think he would be the best offensive guy is because he made it happen offensively after getting a good QB (Josh Allen). Hell, almost everyone here says he even made Trubisky look good when he beat us in pre-season. You can teach your offense but if you don’t have good QB who can run it, then it won’t work and you’ll look like shit. The QB has a lot to do with how an offensive coach pans out. Lots to do with it. Who did he have when he was the Browns OC? Brady Quinn? With that said, I still don’t want him.

jazzmcfunk

Liked Posts:
If not already reported:

• CHAMP KELLYGM, CHICAGO BEARS

Bears assistant director of player personnel Champ Kelly interviewed for their vacant GM job on Thursday.​

Kelly has been tied to the Panthers & Broncos GM job as well, and also interviewed for the Jets job in 2019. Kelly served as Denver's assistant director of pro personnel from 2011-2014. He was the Bears' director of pro scouting before becoming the team's director of player personnel, overseeing player evaluations, advanced scouting, free agency, and talent evaluation. He also assists the team's college scouting staff with player evaluations and trades for the NFL draft.
    SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
    Jan 13, 2022, 4:03 PM ET

• JOSH MCDANIELS
    OC, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Aaron Wilson of SportsTalk 790 reports that Patriots OC Josh McDaniels is in consideration for the Bears, Vikings, and Giants.​

McDaniels won't take interviews until the Patriots are out of the playoffs. Wilson also noted that McDaniels is "not expected" to pursue a job with the Texans. Though, of course, that did come out before they fired David Culley today. As usual, McDaniels will remain a headline draw on the NFL head coaching circuit, even after backing out on the Colts job a few years ago.
    RELATED: SOURCE: SportsTalk 790
    Jan 13, 2022, 3:25 PM ET

jazzmcfunk

Liked Posts:

RAN CARTHON
FO, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano reports the Bears have requested permission to interview 49ers director of player personnel Ran Carthon for their general manager vacancy.​

The Giants have also requested permission to interview Carthon following Dave Gettleman's retirement. Last year was Carthon's first as director of personnel after serving five seasons as the director of pro personnel with San Francisco. Current Texans GM Rick Smith has also garnered interest from the Bears.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope Dodds doesn't turn down the interview
He reminds me of the Eric DeCosta situation years ago when he was #2 to Ozzie Newsome and everyone wanted him, but he never really considered leaving.

This is a bit different as Dodds clearly is #2 to Ballard who isn't going anywhere- but it seems as if every team in the NFL will want him and he can stay, pick and choose where he'll go.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Do you mind telling us how many games the Bears will win next year? And in 2023?

Are you suggesting that the Bears would win more games by not trading back and accumulating assets, despite being a 6-11 team and having the one of the oldest rosters in football..? Greet logic there bud
I gotta tell you. I'm not sure about the trading back strategy, for this year, because we need to get the best talent possible.

Hear me out: having a first rounder usually should guarantee a starter. Theoretically, a first rounder should be a starter and the rest should either be part time starters, contributors, depth, or development relative to rounds 2-5. Now, not having a 1st rounder means we need to grab a first round talent who slips, so picking 7th in the second gives us a viable shot at a starting CB, WR, or LB. These positions could drop high talent where we pick. So, in effect, it becomes making quality primary over quantity here.

Maybe trade the 3rd for a 4th and 6th? But, even then, you're really giving up on talent for quantity, again. There are too few premium picks for us, this year, to trade back effectively without having to tap into next year to make the trade work.

Rise

Liked Posts:
He reminds me of the Eric DeCosta situation years ago when he was #2 to Ozzie Newsome and everyone wanted him, but he never really considered leaving.

This is a bit different as Dodds clearly is #2 to Ballard who isn't going anywhere- but it seems as if every team in the NFL will want him and he can stay, pick and choose where he'll go.

True but I just can’t think of a better job than GM for the Bears you have true ownership over everything. You can spend unlimited money. What else does the guy want?

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
I gotta tell you. I'm not sure about the trading back strategy, for this year, because we need to get the best talent possible.

Hear me out: having a first rounder usually should guarantee a starter. Theoretically, a first rounder should be a starter and the rest should either be part time starters, contributors, depth, or development relative to rounds 2-5. Now, not having a 1st rounder means we need to grab a first round talent who slips, so picking 7th in the second gives us a viable shot at a starting CB, WR, or LB. These positions could drop high talent where we pick. So, in effect, it becomes making quality primary over quantity here.

Maybe trade the 3rd for a 4th and 6th? But, even then, you're really giving up on talent for quantity, again. There are too few premium picks for us, this year, to trade back effectively without having to tap into next year to make the trade work.

Agreed, next year there’s no merit to it. But 23/24 if the team is still bad, would love to get on that cycle of accumulating day 1/day 2 picks. It’s just crazy to me that so many successful teams employee this strategy on occasion but I can’t recall the Bears ever doing it, especially during the last 3 GM regimes.

not a fan of Miami’s FO but wow.. 3 first round picks for Lance? And one of those picks on Waddle who might be better than Lance himself? A scenario like that is basically my wet dream as a Bears fan lmao.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
This might be a dumb question but Dodd is director of pro personnel and Brown is director of college scouting. Why wouldn’t we want the latter, especially when his expertise is this team’s biggest pain point (smart drafting, young talent)

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
McDaniels is the best offensive guy based solely
on experience and results. (Personal shortcomings aside)

After that you could make a case for Daboll, Leftwich or Hacket. All have pros and cons.

I too worry about Daboll before Josh Allen. On the opposite side you can say he helped develop Allen too.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
True but I just can’t think of a better job than GM for the Bears you have true ownership over everything. You can spend unlimited money. What else does the guy want?

What else does he want? Maybe reporting to someone other than George. Also look at Soldier Field....its bad enough players can't stand up on it on a weekly basis and its the smallest stadium in the league. While I think fans who fill Soldier are amazing- having that as your home field on a weekly basis isn't great. In regards to a potential new stadium- we're over/under 5 years away (maybe more) on that at least. Also- do you really trust this group to get that right? They should build a stadium comparable if not better than SoFi or AT&T Stadiums....but the renovation of Soldier in '02 should give everyone pause as to what the Bears will actually do.

There are still a ton of problems with this organization and they can certainly ruin a career. We also don't know if Ballard is actually endorsing the Bears to Dodds or Brown. My guess is he is, but at the same time...he was burned when the Bears hired Pace OVER him during that '15 process. So we'll see on that.

With all that being said- I agree with you that I think the Bears GM is a great job as it'll essentially be the #1 football person in the organization. I've also heard from guys like Angelo & Wannstedt that George and company let you do your job and stays out of things. So we'll see.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I read somewhere he really hates the spotlight and media. If true he may not light a big city like Chicago.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read somewhere he really hates the spotlight and media. If true he may not light a big city like Chicago.
This is another great point. It can be a really crappy media at times.

I remember Dan Bernstein the week Pace was hired and stated he needed to hire Fox as it would be similar to Epstein hiring Maddon to the Cubs (I guess young/old? LMAO)....then a few years later he shit all over Pace for hiring Fox.

Now Bernstein is extremely small scale AND I know the media can be terrible anywhere, but it can be a lot worse in Chicago.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
This could be telling. I don't think its as telling as the other assistants flocking to Ohio State with Day.

However- you could make the case a coach wouldn't go to Michigan if they didn't know Harbaugh wasn't staying. Its just one position coach and Harbaugh may have told him he wasn't sure if he was staying yet or not...but I doubt it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This is another great point. It can be a really crappy media at times.

I remember Dan Bernstein the week Pace was hired and stated he needed to hire Fox as it would be similar to Epstein hiring Maddon to the Cubs (I guess young/old? LMAO)....then a few years later he shit all over Pace for hiring Fox.

Now Bernstein is extremely small scale AND I know the media can be terrible anywhere, but it can be a lot worse in Chicago.
Everyone always talks about how amazing it is if you win here…. And that’s true.

They just don’t talk much about how shitty it is when you lose.

Gotta have one hell of thick skin in this town.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
I’m kinda getting all in on Rick Smith. He was GM and Executive Vice President of football operations for the Texans. Good experience.