Jim Caldwell

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
Caldwell would be the best coach the Bears have had in the last 30 years. Not that that’s saying much but he’s a very solid coach. Actually did a lot with the Lions and they screwed him.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
This is probably unfair, but to me he’s too old and potentially out of the loop. I’d assume he has a decent record and you can throw numbers around about that to sort of deceive people. He coached the Colts with Manning though. That team with Manning as basically the de facto OC was always going to be very good. He also coached Detroit with Stafford and Megatron. That was probably the best Detroit has been in 50 years. I know it’s not fair to just suggest it was all his players and he contributed nothing. But he stepped into some really great situations. Indy was maybe the best situation a coach has ever stepped into. He basically was handed an already built super bowl team when Dungy left. There is also no future with him at that age. If he came here the Bears go like 7-10 or 8-9 for 3 years and he gets canned and the process starts over again.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They need to quit dickin around with all these has- beens and go get Harbaugh before someone else lands him.
Word is he hired a position coach for his staff. Don't think he's leaving

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Word is he hired a position coach for his staff. Don't think he's leaving
I'd like to see Harbaugh as the Bears coach, but not sure it will happen. This is the year if he really wants the job, he can get it. Will cost the Bears at least 50 Mill and maybe a lot more. They say money doesn't matter. We will see. He will probably want at least 10 Mill a year. His OC and DC will be expensive too.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
It looks pretty clear that he’s trying to get more money out of Michigan. I’d be fine with him but not at Gruden type money. He’s towards the top of guys I would be happy with. I’m not cool treating him like Bill Belichick and giving him an absurd contract though.

It also seems moot because he’s asking for big money. The Bears are cheap. There’s no way they’re paying a head coach. They’ll hire some rookie head coach they know they can give nothing and pretend that’s who they wanted all along.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Caldwell would be the best coach the Bears have had in the last 30 years. Not that that’s saying much but he’s a very solid coach. Actually did a lot with the Lions and they screwed him.

Caldwell is Lovie 2.0.

Better than Nagy yes.

If you really wanted a Lions re-tread, Swartz would have a higher ceiling.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
Caldwell is Lovie 2.0.

Better than Nagy yes.

If you really wanted a Lions re-tread, Swartz would have a higher ceiling.
Nah to Schwantz. A brain trust of grumpy old men like Caldwell as HC and Fangio as DC would be epic if they also get a young OC to get them coffee and Metamucil.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nah to Schwantz. A brain trust of grumpy old men like Caldwell as HC and Fangio as DC would be epic if they also get a young OC to get them coffee and Metamucil.
Swartz's success post Lions has been:

Top rated D on Buffalo
Helped Philly win a SB
Now assistant for the Titans.

A little bit of a goofball, but fuck, so is Harbaugh.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Caldwell would be like another John Fox. minus the Super Bowl visits. though I guess the Lions fan could be right, that sounds just like Lovie Smith right?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I think it’s all a sham and Polian knows exactly who he wants. They’re just going through the motions so they can say they were thorough.
Probably True. That they have an initial target. But I also think they are interviewing a lot of people to allow the possibility for someone to surprise and wow them.

I recall this happened with Pace, I believe.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Probably True. That they have an initial target. But I also think they are interviewing a lot of people to allow the possibility for someone to surprise and wow them.

I recall this happened with Pace, I believe.
After reading the last Athletic article it sounds like Pace was predetermined. Ted, Ernie and Sean Payton all collaborated together,

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
“THAT THING STUNK,” A FORMER EMPLOYEE SAID. “IT’S A GOOD OL’ BOY THING. RYAN PACE WAS A RECOMMENDATION FROM (SAINTS GM) MICKEY LOOMIS. LOOMIS AND TED ARE TIGHT. (SAINTS COACH) SEAN PAYTON WANTED PACE TO BE GM. ACCORSI AND PAYTON ARE CONNECTED. THERE WAS A REASON PACE INTERVIEWED LAST.”

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
To be fair?

Who was the last Lions coach to post a winning record?

Caldwell.

Who was the last Lions coach to take the lions to the playoffs?

Caldwell.

From 2000 to 2021, how many times did the Lions have a winning record?

5 times in 22 years or 22.7%

How many times did Calwell have a winning record with the Lions?

3 times out of 4 (and he was 7-9 in the losing season) or 75%.

Not that I am saying anything about him being the head coach for the Bears, but, damn, he worked miracles with the Lions because he worked miracles with the LIONS.

THE LIONS!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To be fair?

Who was the last Lions coach to post a winning record?

Caldwell.

Who was the last Lions coach to take the lions to the playoffs?

Caldwell.

From 2000 to 2021, how many times did the Lions have a winning record?

5 times in 22 years or 22.7%

How many times did Calwell have a winning record with the Lions?

3 times out of 4 (and he was 7-9 in the losing season) or 75%.

Not that I am saying anything about him being the head coach for the Bears, but, damn, he worked miracles with the Lions because he worked miracles with the LIONS.

THE LIONS!
If he was 50 he’d be a fan favorite. People just don’t like his age.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I think "he did good with Lions there for he must be a good coach" is stupid, specious reasoning. I just remember laughing at his stupidity for most of his tenure. He had Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate and his offenses were still not good until his last season. In his first year he had an elite defense but refused to run the ball and it just go worse.

No idea what would excite anyone about Jim Caldwell.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
They need to quit dickin around with all these has- beens and go get Harbaugh before someone else lands him.
Harbaugh is not leaving Michigan