Harbaugh or Daboll?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I’d take Harbaugh. He knows how to be a HC and bring in other people

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Let’s say both want to come to the Bears…

Who are you taking?

(this is a hypothetical just for the hell of it. I know it’s not very likely to happen)

I’d take Daboll. Don’t think Harbaugh could find anyone as good at developing Fields.
Daboll versus Harbaugh is an incomplete question. Who do both bring in as their offensive coordinators and other coordinators and who is the GM?

This would be a better question because at that point, you can deal with the complete question with your own questions like:

1. Is Harbaugh going to be HC / GM?
    1. Hard pass because he is quirky to put it mildly and he could get pissed off at ownership and go all "Bill O'Brien" on the Bears just to get even on the way out.
  2. Who is Daboll going to be able to bring in as OC (others are important too) because it is probably going to be the OC who is going to be taxed with the job of developing Fields?
    1. Yes, Daboll is going to want to flavor his offense his way but he is going to be busy doing all of the stuff that he never did as a HC.
    2. Remember that being a really good OC has nothing to do with being a good HC. Rod Marinelli proved that (The Lions' first year defense under Rod was 30th and last two were 32nd).
    3. At least he has a good amount of time as an OC so he can teach his coaches while he is learning the reality of being a HC.
    4. Chances are that Harbough could bring in better staffs because he has earned the trust of some of the best coordinators because he has many more connections than Daboll because he was a HC in college and the NFL.
  3. Who has better credentials?
    1. Daboll has the championship ring here, having won 4 Super Bowls with the Patriots and 1 National Championship with Alabama.
      1. However; Daboll was the WR coach for the first 3 Super Bowls, so his impact was less.
      2. Daboll did get taught by Belichick (though that might be a negative seeing that most coordinators under Belichick have not been successful) and Saban.
      3. Harbaugh got to the Super Bowl with the Raiders as a QB coach and got to the College playoffs with Michigan but lost both the Super Bowl and the college playoff game. He did win 2 college championships but they were the Pioneer Championships as HC of San Diego.
    2. Harbaugh has the continual success ring here.
      1. He was a winning HC with San Diego in his 3 seasons with them, going 11-1 his last two seasons.
      2. He was pretty good in Stanford. His biggest success was upsetting the #1 USC Trojans who were a 41 point favorite for the statistically biggest upset ever.
      3. He got the rebuilding 49ers to the NFC Championship game his very first year.
      4. He became only the 2nd Wolverine HC to win 10 or more games his first 2 seasons.
      5. He had winning seasons every year at Michigan besides 2020.
      6. He took the 2021 Wolverines to the college playoffs this year, losing to the eventual champions Georgia Bulldogs.
      7. Daboll had success with the Patriots and Alabama but those were more on having the top HC in the NFL and college football in charge.
      8. He was not very successful between those Patriot stints.
      9. He has been very successful in Buffalo.
    3. Who is the QB whisperer?
      1. Daboll took Allen who was a huge risk coming out of the draft and made him an MVP candidate.
      2. Harbaugh was QB coach for Rich Gannon. Rich Gannon won the AP MVP award that year, losing in the Super Bowl.
      3. Harbaugh was the HC for Andrew Luck. I cannot say how much he had to do with Luck's improvement because Luck was going to be a star from high school.
      4. Harbaugh revitalized Alex Smith's career, Alex getting his very first 3000 yard season his first year under Harbaugh.
      5. He was able to work with Kaepernick and continue going to the NFC Championship game.

It seems that everything that Daboll has done, Harbaugh has done more of or more often. Harbaugh also has lots of HC experience while Daboll has zero.

If everything were equal and there were a respected GM who was hired, I think that Harbaugh would be a safer pick ... until he alienates people.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You mean besides himzelf and/or Greg Roman?
All this after 1 playoff game. What kind of defense will he want to implement?

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Daboll versus Harbaugh is an incomplete question. Who do both bring in as their offensive coordinators and other coordinators and who is the GM?

This would be a better question because at that point, you can deal with the complete question with your own questions like:

1. Is Harbaugh going to be HC / GM?
    1. Hard pass because he is quirky to put it mildly and he could get pissed off at ownership and go all "Bill O'Brien" on the Bears just to get even on the way out.
  2. Who is Daboll going to be able to bring in as OC (others are important too) because it is probably going to be the OC who is going to be taxed with the job of developing Fields?
    1. Yes, Daboll is going to want to flavor his offense his way but he is going to be busy doing all of the stuff that he never did as a HC.
    2. Remember that being a really good OC has nothing to do with being a good HC. Rod Marinelli proved that (The Lions' first year defense under Rod was 30th and last two were 32nd).
    3. At least he has a good amount of time as an OC so he can teach his coaches while he is learning the reality of being a HC.
    4. Chances are that Harbough could bring in better staffs because he has earned the trust of some of the best coordinators because he has many more connections than Daboll because he was a HC in college and the NFL.
  3. Who has better credentials?
    1. Daboll has the championship ring here, having won 4 Super Bowls with the Patriots and 1 National Championship with Alabama.
      1. However; Daboll was the WR coach for the first 3 Super Bowls, so his impact was less.
      2. Daboll did get taught by Belichick (though that might be a negative seeing that most coordinators under Belichick have not been successful) and Saban.
      3. Harbaugh got to the Super Bowl with the Raiders as a QB coach and got to the College playoffs with Michigan but lost both the Super Bowl and the college playoff game. He did win 2 college championships but they were the Pioneer Championships as HC of San Diego.
    2. Harbaugh has the continual success ring here.
      1. He was a winning HC with San Diego in his 3 seasons with them, going 11-1 his last two seasons.
      2. He was pretty good in Stanford. His biggest success was upsetting the #1 USC Trojans who were a 41 point favorite for the statistically biggest upset ever.
      3. He got the rebuilding 49ers to the NFC Championship game his very first year.
      4. He became only the 2nd Wolverine HC to win 10 or more games his first 2 seasons.
      5. He had winning seasons every year at Michigan besides 2020.
      6. He took the 2021 Wolverines to the college playoffs this year, losing to the eventual champions Georgia Bulldogs.
      7. Daboll had success with the Patriots and Alabama but those were more on having the top HC in the NFL and college football in charge.
      8. He was not very successful between those Patriot stints.
      9. He has been very successful in Buffalo.
    3. Who is the QB whisperer?
      1. Daboll took Allen who was a huge risk coming out of the draft and made him an MVP candidate.
      2. Harbaugh was QB coach for Rich Gannon. Rich Gannon won the AP MVP award that year, losing in the Super Bowl.
      3. Harbaugh was the HC for Andrew Luck. I cannot say how much he had to do with Luck's improvement because Luck was going to be a star from high school.
      4. Harbaugh revitalized Alex Smith's career, Alex getting his very first 3000 yard season his first year under Harbaugh.
      5. He was able to work with Kaepernick and continue going to the NFC Championship game.

It seems that everything that Daboll has done, Harbaugh has done more of or more often. Harbaugh also has lots of HC experience while Daboll has zero.

If everything were equal and there were a respected GM who was hired, I think that Harbaugh would be a safer pick ... until he alienates people.
Who was the quarterback coach who turned Allen around?

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Daboll has the best shot at being the HC of the Bears between the two.

I am starting to be convinced we have a lack of mutual interest in Harbaugh... The Bears have not said anything about Harbaugh and maybe he is on the McCaskey blacklist... Maybe Pollians too.

Never heard even a peep of positivity regarding Chicago from Harbaugh and thinking it is him who has zero interest in the Bears.

Report could be and probably is just Giants hype, but it states he is "intrigued" by the opening in New York.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
I’d go Harbaugh no doubt. We need a legitimate leader. No more coordinator gurus.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Some credit Daboll for his work developing Allen since joining the Bills in 2018... Ken Dorsey is the other.

From the Bills page...

Ken Dorsey joined the Buffalo Bills in 2019 after being announced as the team’s quarterbacks coach.
Under Dorsey’s tutelage, QB Josh Allen has blossomed into one of the top signal callers in the NFL.
In 2020, Allen was named a second team All-Pro, Pro Bowl selection and finished second in the MVP voting.
Following the 2020 season, Dorsey was promoted to passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
DaBoll

I like his range of experience and how he has made an offense that plays to Josh Allen's strengths.

When you look at the coaching staffs that he has been on - he has 5 Superbowl rings as an assistant with NE and a college National Title as the OC at Bama. He has seen what it takes to win.

LOL! So have guys like Matt Patricia. How'd that work out for him as a HC????

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Harbaugh is not one of the 9 coaches the Bears are scheduled to interview. Are people just fantasizing or is there something that makes you think it's a possibility?
Not that I believe it is possible, but ...

and NFL that wants to interview a college coaches does not need to go through the process of formally asking an NFL team for permission to interview the college coach because the college coach is not in the NFL. Therefore; there is no documentation of an interview with any college coach unless the team or the coach makes it public.

So it is possible that George interviewed every single college coach in the country without the media even knowing about it.

The Bears may have already kicked the tires on both Harbaugh and Day and the media never knew about it.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Not that I believe it is possible, but ...

and NFL that wants to interview a college coaches does not need to go through the process of formally asking an NFL team for permission to interview the college coach because the college coach is not in the NFL. Therefore; there is no documentation of an interview with any college coach unless the team or the coach makes it public.

So it is possible that George interviewed every single college coach in the country without the media even knowing about it.

The Bears may have already kicked the tires on both Harbaugh and Day and the media never knew about it.
In the old days that was true... Newer NFL rule states teams must contact the college/university...

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
DaBoll

I like his range of experience and how he has made an offense that plays to Josh Allen's strengths.

When you look at the coaching staffs that he has been on - he has 5 Superbowl rings as an assistant with NE and a college National Title as the OC at Bama. He has seen what it takes to win.

Generally, coordinators that get promoted to HC have seen what it takes to win. That's why they are considered in the first place, because of their successes.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
David Culley was Allen's QB coach in 2018.
Ken Dorsey was Allen's QB coach in 2019 - 2021.

So it was either David Culley or Ken Dorsey or a little of both.

What's your point?

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
David Culley was Allen's QB coach in 2018.
Ken Dorsey was Allen's QB coach in 2019 - 2021.

So it was either David Culley or Ken Dorsey or a little of both.

What's your point?
My point is Daboll isn’t the guy to Coach up Justin or be the next head coach of the Bears. Offensive coordinator sure but to run the whole team? I’m not sold on him.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Harbaugh - He has connections and is a proven- His drive to win is second to none

He will bring some toughness and respect that we have lacked for many years.

They don't advertise college coach interviews - I think Emery said that when he did his presser that he interviewed 15 NFL and 5 college coaches- Nobody even knew of anyone that he interviewed on the college side at the time.

I like Daboll and wouldn't mind that hire at all he is pretty connected also

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
In the old days that was true... Newer NFL rule states teams must contact the college/university...

It is still the same.

There is a huge difference between asking for interviews from a college and from an NFL team.

I believe that there is a paper trail that a reporter can find to show which NFL employees have interview requests.

In college, a team may ask an AD of a college to interview their employees for NFL positions and the AD may deny the request.

The key is that there is no paper trail for the media to know who is being interviewed because:
  1. Most NFL teams tend to be secretive and try to hide as much as they can. An college interview can be hidden because of the lack of paperwork.
  2. A coaching candidate is usually asked to keep an interview a secret by the NFL team. It is up to them to hide or reveal that information. Nowadays, it is best to hide an interview because they might lose a ton of recruits if it comes out but they decide to stay.
  3. An AD can hide or reveal an interview but, like a HC, it would be bad to acknowledge an interview because of potential loss of recruits.