Jim Caldwell rumors as Bears HC gaining steam...

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It's because he's a bad head coach. But if someone wants to chime in with a reason he's not other than "he had success with the Lions" I'm all ears. Those Lions teams were not talent starved. I mean, they had arguably the best non-quarterback offensive player and one of the best defensive players and still were absolutely mediocre.
chime in with a reason he's not other than "he had success with the Lions" I'm all ears.

watch someone come brag about how he won a ring with the ravens.
This will be a big dud if Bears hire him.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hire someone under 60. I want a coach with a shot at being here for a decade. Bears luck is that they finally hire a coach that is all that only to watch him fall over or retire. This coming from someone the same age as Caldwell.

Last edited:

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Hire someone under 60. I want a coach with a shot at being here for a decade. Bears luck is that finally hire a coach that is all that only to watch him fall over or retire. This comin from someone the same age as Caldwell.
I want a coach with a shot at being here for a decade.

This front office is too stupid to see that.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Which teams got worst?
In both stints as head coach, his first season was his best, and he never obtained that again for both the Colts and the Lions.

This is suggestive of a coach that inherited a good team, but didn't develop players or adapt his system over time.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
A step up from Leslie Frazier, but this would feel so much like John Fox 2.0, except this time we don't get Vic Fangio, and they'll be right back in the HC search 2-3 years later when he retires or resigns because of health complications again. Fields will then be on his 3rd HC in 3-4 years. Sounds like a great plan.

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I puked a little in my mouth.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Would it be boring? Yeah. Its like giving Lovie Smith a ferrari when you know he'd only drive it to church and never take it above 35.

I am fine with whoever is being hired to be judged a few years from now. I will take stable and boring if it is effective, but I do not wat to sit around for three years watching them only let Fields use his legs to pick up urgent third downs

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Would it be boring? Yeah. Its like giving Lovie Smith a ferrari when you know he'd only drive it to church and never take it above 35.

I am fine with whoever is being hired to be judged a few years from now. I will take stable and boring if it is effective, but I do not wat to sit around for three years watching them only let Fields use his legs to pick up urgent third downs

But all my personal opinions aside...shouldn't the Bears be looking for a coach who, ideally, will be here for 8-10 years? Does anyone think Caldwell will be coaching at 77? Hiring Caldwell guarantees you're looking for a new coach in a few years. Yes, there are older coaches but they are all at the tail end of their careers. It seems so short sighted.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Is Jim Caldwell in that much demand? If he isn't, then why decide on hiring a low in demand head coach before hiring a General Manager...?!?!

Bust

Liked Posts:
But all my personal opinions aside...shouldn't the Bears be looking for a coach who, ideally, will be here for 8-10 years? Does anyone think Caldwell will be coaching at 77? Hiring Caldwell guarantees you're looking for a new coach in a few years. Yes, there are older coaches but they are all at the tail end of their careers. It seems so short sighted.

in an ideal setting yes. One of these decades bears may find one. I think Josh McCown was becoming <the guy> as he bought into Trestman's system but emery just gave jay 100 million.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I think their counter argument would be who cares how long he's the coach as long as he develops Fields into a legit NFL QB. Purely a guess tho.

If the Bears choose to go the rebuild route, you get an established head coach (55% career winning percentage) who because of age, won't be here very long anyway. Let him develop Fields through the growing pains of the rebuild and set the foundation for the next head coach in 3-4 seasons to take it and run with it. I could be way off base but that is my initial thoughts on it. If they go the rebuild route, then I'm okay with this though I still prefer Daboll, Leftwich and Harbaugh (assuming Roman came with) over all else. We'll see.

In the end, I think it's the Colts duo that gets hired.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think their counter argument would be who cares how long he's the coach as long as he develops Fields into a legit NFL QB. Purely a guess tho.

If the Bears choose to go the rebuild route, you get an established head coach (55% career winning percentage) who because of age, won't be here very long anyway. Let him develop Fields through the growing pains of the rebuild and set the foundation for the next head coach in 3-4 seasons to take it and run with it. I could be way off base but that is my initial thoughts on it. If they go the rebuild route, then I'm okay with this though I still prefer Daboll, Leftwich and Harbaugh (assuming Roman came with) over all else. We'll see.

In the end, I think it's the Colts duo that gets hired.
JC is no offensive guru. he bearly fields an average offense.:rolleyes:

RumourBoy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
Jimmy Caldwell? I don't know about that one.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
This would be a terrible hire....look no further than the fact that all of the coaches left in the playoffs, aside from Andy Reid, are 47 years or younger. If Caldwell was a good coach he would have been one already for a long period of time.