***OFFICAL*** Bears GM/Coaching Search News Thread

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Something tells me the poster who has been in hiding the past 30 min will suddenly reappear.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Leftwich killing it, like I predicted (not). I need to stfu. That playcalling on that drive was nooooooice

Canth

Liked Posts:
Gotta figure that a lot of head coaching positions get filled this week. I am a bit surprised that there have been 0 head coaches announced.

But with Hackett, Leftwich, and Bowles all now available, I would think some decisions start getting made by teams. And obviously, if the Bills lose, DaBoll and Frazier as well.

Per Allbright, Denver finalists are likely Quinn, Hackett, and Jonathan Gannon.

Jax seems likely down to Leftwich and Eberflus

NYG seem to want a NY roots guy, so maybe Flores? DaBoll was also in the mix with the ties to the new GM there.

I can't remember really hearing much about the other HC searches. Although I did find this article on CBS that has an overall tracker of who has interviewed where so far:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Gotta figure that a lot of head coaching positions get filled this week. I am a bit surprised that there have been 0 head coaches announced.

But with Hackett, Leftwich, and Bowles all now available, I would think some decisions start getting made by teams. And obviously, if the Bills lose, DaBoll and Frazier as well.

Per Allbright, Denver finalists are likely Quinn, Hackett, and Jonathan Gannon.

Jax seems likely down to Leftwich and Eberflus

NYG seem to want a NY roots guy, so maybe Flores? DaBoll was also in the mix with the ties to the new GM there.

I can't remember really hearing much about the other HC searches. Although I did find this article on CBS that has an overall tracker of who has interviewed where so far:

It was always going to be a 2-3 week thing especially since they were never in on anyone on harbaugh s level

Canth

Liked Posts:
Also a very strange 3rd and goal play call. Normally you want to separate the decoy and the ball carrier.

Good recovery and TD on 4th down though

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
If the Bills score like they did last week again tonight, I don't know how you can't want a second interview with Brian Daboll if you're the Bears.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Question: what are everyone’s thoughts on the Bills HC Sean McDermott?

I think he’s a good example of a CEO type HC, as opposed to these hot coordinator candidates
Exactly. And people assuming if Daboll leaves, they already have the heir-apparent for OC, so they offense stays intact.

Canth

Liked Posts:

I think he’s a good example of a CEO type HC, as opposed to these hot coordinator candidates

Obviously it is working for McDermott right now. I do think it is generally easier for the defensive minded head coaches to have an overall view simply because for whatever reason, the precedent is that they don't have to call the defense. It can/will be their scheme and they are likely heavily involved in game planning the defense, but on game day, the DC is the guy calling the defense.

But when you look to the offensive side of the ball, it just seems like a lot of the HC from that side are also the playcaller on game day. So, I think it can make it harder for them to have a good overview of what is going on.

The other aspect that comes into play is that a hot shot OC will get a lot more opportunities to move to a HC role than a great DC just because of the importance of the qb position and the rules shift to favor offense in the NFL. Especially if they have been an OC under a defensive guy where everyone knows it's -his- offense that is producing. So the perception is that there is more stability in the coaching with an offensive minded head coach - probably because they often pair themselves with an older DC that just doesn't get many looks to become a HC. For example, Fangio getting the chance in Denver was very rare for him.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes

Seems D guys take on these roles better while O guys want to show their offensive prowess through play calling. Quinn, Vrabel, McDermott, etc.

Maybe I am downplaying the D guys available too much. Even Lovie didn’t call D plays until he was on the hot seat.

Sooooo Eberflus?

Main thing is the plan and development of Fields. The rest will play off of that.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I kinda lost my train of thought in that last post.

Yes, McDermitt seems to be a good CEO style head coach. I think you have a higher chance of getting that with a defensive minded guy. Although, the concern is they need a plan for have to have stability on the offense and not constantly be changing offensive coordinators and schemes on their qb.