Curious what people's issue is with Dan Quinn?

Perspective

Liked Posts:
Lol, ok. He started generating head coaching buzz immediately after that season, so I'm going to go with "no" on that one.

His offenses in Washington were 18th, 16th, 5th, and 9th in yards, and were 25th, 26th, 4th, 23rd in points. Half of those years were with Rex fucking Grossman and an old broken down Donavon McNabb as the starting quarterback.

And to answer your question, yes, I absolutely do think his one year of success was special enough to warrant consideration for other jobs. RGIII was never going to last in the NFL regardless of what coach he had. His body wasn't built for the NFL, and the guy never learned to slide correctly. Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick ran a lot of the same stuff RGIII was running and they came out of it okay. I think it's unfair to lay blame on his OC for a guy being injury prone, who by the way, still had a tough time staying healthy even after he left Washington.

If Shanahan is such a genuis, how come his great offense scored 6 effing points and only won because of his D and STs? He gave up the farm to get a QB in the draft and then decided to start Jimmy-6 point-Garopollo ..... he is lucky the Packers could not get their hands on all the floating ducks Jimmy G was throwing which should have resulted in at least 2 pick sixes..... Shanahan's offense was worse than what Nagy showed vs the Packers in both games,... sure the conditions were bad but he is supposed to be this guru at running the ball....

Reality is Shanny has been riding his D in San Fran too .... his Offense cost him the SB last time when Jimmy G missed an easy throw for a TD....

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I never said we should hire Quinn as I dont know who he may bring as OC. Neither do you. I suggested you should perhaps stop prematurely ejaculating over this as you dont know what his staff looks like.

A guy can be a good OC candidate but still a bit green to be HC. Duh!

He was a big name because he shares a last name with his daddy. He actually was not all that successful prior to Atl when you look at actual results not his Daddy's name. Go look up his offensive rankings while OC in WFT and Browns. He had a bottom 10 offense like 4 out 5 years.

I never said you wanted Quinn. Maybe you should stop creating strawmen to conjure up retorts with.

I don’t need to look up his rankings. They are irrelevant to the discussion we are engaged in. You’re trying to bullshit people and act as if Kyle Shanahan was this question mark failed OC Dan Quinn pulled from the ashes. The reality is Shanahan was well respected and it was only a matter of time before someone handed him another OC job. It was known he was a young football mind who was moving up the ranks at a really young age. And you’re making up this false narrative that their were real questions surrounding him.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If Shanahan is such a genuis, how come his great offense scored 6 effing points and only won because of his D and STs? He gave up the farm to get a QB in the draft and then decided to start Jimmy-6 point-Garopollo ..... he is lucky the Packers could not get their hands on all the floating ducks Jimmy G was throwing which should have resulted in at least 2 pick sixes..... Shanahan's offense was worse than what Nagy showed vs the Packers in both games,... sure the conditions were bad but he is supposed to be this guru at running the ball....

Reality is Shanny has been riding his D in San Fran too .... his Offense cost him the SB last time when Jimmy G missed an easy throw for a TD....
In fairness, they could very well end up doing a great job of developing Lance.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Then the only option would be Sean Payton.

All the upgrade over Nagy candidates never were HCs. Just because they were good coordinators does not mean that they will be good head coaches. So there is a risk with everyone.

Time to make Payton an offer he can't refuse even if the Bears lose another draft pick.
I wouldn’t ever give up a draft pick for any coach besides the great one in NE. Just go get Harbaugh. He’s the obvious choices over these coordinators.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t ever give up a draft pick for any coach besides the great one in NE. Just go get Harbaugh. He’s the obvious choices over these coordinators.
Then you would be a fool.

The great one in NE is a defensive mind. The OC would stay in NE to be the HC so Fields would be trained by whom?

Harbaugh would be a good choice but, again, who would be training Fields?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol, ok. He started generating head coaching buzz immediately after that season, so I'm going to go with "no" on that one.

His offenses in Washington were 18th, 16th, 5th, and 9th in yards, and were 25th, 26th, 4th, 23rd in points. Half of those years were with Rex fucking Grossman and an old broken down Donavon McNabb as the starting quarterback.

And to answer your question, yes, I absolutely do think his one year of success was special enough to warrant consideration for other jobs. RGIII was never going to last in the NFL regardless of what coach he had. His body wasn't built for the NFL, and the guy never learned to slide correctly. Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick ran a lot of the same stuff RGIII was running and they came out of it okay. I think it's unfair to lay blame on his OC for a guy being injury prone, who by the way, still had a tough time staying healthy even after he left Washington.

Yes as I I said 4 out of 5 years his O was bottom 10 (I was using points). The other bottom 10 years was as the OC for Cleveland in 2014. That is not good.

Lol it is unfair to lay blame on the OC that called a bunch of QB runs when everyone could see RGIII's body was not holding up? He literally helped destroy the 2nd pick in the draft's career and basically used RGIII's body as a stepping stone.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I never said you wanted Quinn. Maybe you should stop creating strawmen to conjure up retorts with.

I don’t need to look up his rankings. They are irrelevant to the discussion we are engaged in. You’re trying to bullshit people and act as if Kyle Shanahan was this question mark failed OC Dan Quinn pulled from the ashes. The reality is Shanahan was well respected and it was only a matter of time before someone handed him another OC job. It was known he was a young football mind who was moving up the ranks at a really young age. And you’re making up this false narrative that their were real questions surrounding him.

You implied it below.

What name attached to Quinn as OC do you hear and think you must hire Quinn to get? You act as if there’s these guarantee no doubt names that exist as OC’s that will work.

I never acted like there was any guarantee. I said we dont know who he would bring in as OC so it is premature to whine.

His rankings are not irrelevant. He had a bottom 10 O in 4 out of 5 years. That usually does not scream hire me. If he had that record of poor offense and his name was Kyle Robinson amd he was not working on Daddy's staff, he would not have been as well respected.

And if the unfortunate knock on your coaching career begins with, “If you couldn’t take over the Redskins, where your old man was the head coach, where can you take over?” it’s fair to wonder whether your father hiring you for this job was a favor or a foible.

I’m not saying the fast track to nepotism just sent the Redskins over the ledge. But why Mike Shanahan’s son could not muster a single point out of his offense against Buffalo on Sunday is just inexplicable.

There was talk of nepotism during his time with WFT. As the article noted his O was putrid for the most part and even the one year it was good it did not last because Shanny sacrificed RGIII will all those QB runs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In fairness, they could very well end up doing a great job of developing Lance.

He is a bigger guy so hopefully his body holds up as in the limited time he has played Shanny seems to be doing the same thing he did with RGIII and running him a bit too much.

dignan

Liked Posts:
Right now you can add a great DCs without elevating them to HC but that's not the case for OCs... both Fangio and Martindale are better DCs than Quinn or Eberflus IMO

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He is a bigger guy so hopefully his body holds up as in the limited time he has played Shanny seems to be doing the same thing he did with RGIII and running him a bit too much.
Wasn't that more Mike than Kyle?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Right now you can add a great DCs without elevating them to HC but that's not the case for OCs... both Fangio and Martindale are better DCs than Quinn or Eberflus IMO

Honestly, without any direct correlations like you can make with Daboll, its all going to come down to the type of staff they can put together.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Then you would be a fool.

The great one in NE is a defensive mind. The OC would stay in NE to be the HC so Fields would be trained by whom?

Harbaugh would be a good choice but, again, who would be training Fields?
He would never move no matter how many pics regardless. So what I’m saying is NO coach is worth pics. I’d trade pics for the best GM however.

Harbaugh is more than capable of making Fields shine bc he will improve the entire team. Making everyone better around Fields is what he needs most. Accountability.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How many 2nd chance coaches have been hired and how many have succeeded? It is okay to, believe it or not, admit you really have no clue about any of this.

Of this list we have Arians, Carroll, Bellichek, Reid, Gruden, Campbell, Rivera, McCarthy that got 2nd chances. Of those 8, 5 have won SBs the 2nd go around. I suppose you can remove Arians since he retired the first time around rather than was fired, but 1st question. How the fuck is a 57% (without Arians) to 62.5% (with Arians) Super Bowl win rate not inspire hope?

Now let's look at the first timers. There are 24 first timers. Of those 24, only 3 have won Super Bowls (Harbaugh, Tomlin and Patyon). That is a laughable 12.5% Super Bowl win rate.

Some data I dug up on 1st time vs 2nd time HCs based on the list of HCs this year.