Some OC candidates for when the Bears hire a defensive head coach

Toast88

Liked Posts:
When the Bears hire a defensive-minded head coach, who will he turn to to run his offense?

Some obvious possibilities:

Ken Dorsey
Jim Caldwell
Pat Shurmur
John DeFilippo
Jason Garrett
Joe Brady
Pep Hamilton
Josh Gattis (Univ. of Michigan)
Ronald Curry

Who do you guys like as the Bears' next play-caller?

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I think having Caldwell as the OC would be great. His resume is pretty good,

SB win with the Colts (OC), SB win with the Ravens (OC), and in three years with the Lions he went 36-28 with two playoff appearances (HC).

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If Kevin O'Connell wants to prove himself away from McVey he would be near the top of my list. Caldwell, Dorsey, and Pep would be guys I'd want from the list above. Keep Flip as QB coach if possible.

I think Dorsey is close to a lock for the BUF job if Daboll leaves.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don’t understand the fascination with Caldwell. He’s a solid leader, but ultra conservative, boring, mildly effective OC…

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I don’t understand the fascination with Caldwell. He’s a solid leader, but ultra conservative, boring, mildly effective OC…
So he must run the ball a lot and shy away from getting pass happy since he's ultra conservative and boring? As a mildly effective OC, I assume he hasn't won 2 super bowls as an OC right?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
So he must run the ball a lot and shy away from getting pass happy since he's ultra conservative and boring? As a mildly effective OC, I assume he hasn't won 2 super bowls as an OC right?
Lol. Ok. Keep your head in the stat sheet instead of opening your eyes. Whatever works. Just saying that would be a bad hire, especially for Fields. Hes talented, but in a much different way than Payton Manning….

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Lol. Ok. Keep your head in the stat sheet instead of opening your eyes. Whatever works. Just saying that would be a bad hire, especially for Fields. Hes talented, but in a much different way than Payton Manning….
I dont really care for Caldwell one way or another just had to make sure to call out blatantly false statements

Toast88

Liked Posts:
When the Eagles were looking at Caldwell for OC: Is Jim Caldwell the right choice for Eagles OC vacancy?

In 2009 and 2010 as the Colts’ head coach, Caldwell had the second and first ranked passing offense respectively. It should be noted that he did have Peyton Manning as quarterback for those two seasons. His rushing offense was close to last in both of those years, but during his final year in Indianapolis, with Curtis Painter, Kerry Collins, and Eagles Twitter favorite Dan Orlovsky at quarterback, the passing offense ranked 27th and the entire offense ranked 30th.

In his two years as the Ravens’ offensive coordinator in 2012 and 2013, the Ravens’ offense ranked 16th and 29th respectively.

When he was the head coach of the Lions, the offense never reached elite status, ranking 19th, 20th, 21st, and 13th in total yards. However, the passing ranks were 12th, 9th, 11th, and 6th. Staying true to his philosophy, the rushing attack ranked close to last in all four years.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
When the Eagles were looking at Caldwell for OC: Is Jim Caldwell the right choice for Eagles OC vacancy?

In 2009 and 2010 as the Colts’ head coach, Caldwell had the second and first ranked passing offense respectively. It should be noted that he did have Peyton Manning as quarterback for those two seasons. His rushing offense was close to last in both of those years, but during his final year in Indianapolis, with Curtis Painter, Kerry Collins, and Eagles Twitter favorite Dan Orlovsky at quarterback, the passing offense ranked 27th and the entire offense ranked 30th.

In his two years as the Ravens’ offensive coordinator in 2012 and 2013, the Ravens’ offense ranked 16th and 29th respectively.

When he was the head coach of the Lions, the offense never reached elite status, ranking 19th, 20th, 21st, and 13th in total yards. However, the passing ranks were 12th, 9th, 11th, and 6th. Staying true to his philosophy, the rushing attack ranked close to last in all four years.
Sounds super conservative

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
When the Bears hire a defensive-minded head coach, who will he turn to to run his offense?

Ken Dorsey
Jim Caldwell
Pat Shurmur
John DeFilippo
Jason Garrett

Joe Brady
Pep Hamilton
Ronald Curry

^

I don't think Brady's time in Carolina should be an automatic strike against him, as Matt Rhule seems over his head.

EDIT: To add I would put David Shaw as I am a longtime big fan of his

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ken Dorsey(most likely staying in Buf), Pep Hamilton, Joe Brady, Mike Kafka(Chief's QB coach and passing game coordinator), anyone from Shanahan tree who wants to call plays and prove themselves like Mike McDaniels, and maybe Dan Mullen (former Gator HC)

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I'm not a big Caldwell backer, but can we appreciate that he had a higher-ranked offense with Curtis Painter, Kerry Collins and Dan Orlovsky than Nagy ever did with Trubisky, Foles, Dalton and Fields?

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Prerequisites for the new OC are as follows:

* More Wildcat. As in 35-40% of all play calls need to come from the wildcat formation. Nagy was really on to something last season with those 2 yard gains.

* When one receiver runs a hitch, they ALL run a hitch. Opposing defenses cannot stop that type of high octane passing attack.

* In Chicago, QB development is taken very seriously, so obviously they must sign a backup QB with experience in that specific system...maybe even two.

* Speaking of the system, don't adjust it. Force the scheme on the players and absolutely DO NOT adjust playcalling or the scheme to the QBs strengths as opposing defenses would expect that. This is chess not checkers.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If the head coach is a defensive guy, which seems statistically likely at this point, the head coach is going to have to look at his young quarterback and ask himself, "Who is the guy I need to bring in here to train this young man and get the most out of him? Who do I trust to do this absolutely crucial job?"

Which head coaching candidate have the Bears talked to that you would trust to make that assessment and hire the right OC or whoever to tutor Fields?

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Read something about Quinn and the OC from San Fran since Shanahan calls plays there.

Also saw Darrell Bevell. Experienced and actually will run the ball plus worked with Rustle Wilson.
Do you have a link to the Quinn/Mike McDaniel connection? That would be best case scenario IMO if that was real.

Also couldn’t 9ers block McDaniel from leaving?

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Ken Dorsey
Jim Caldwell
Pat Shurmur
John DeFilippo
Jason Garrett
Joe Brady
Pep Hamilton
Ronald Curry

As long as it’s not the head coach.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hello no to Garrett! Dirk Koetter has a history with Quinn, that wouldn't be awful.

(he's not dead is he ?)