***OFFICAL*** Bears GM/Coaching Search News Thread

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Harbaugh, Flores and Leftwich. Get them on the phone Poles.
Love that list, I’d add Dorsey and jump his advancement straight to the head coach he will be soon anyway. Probably only getting him a year or two early.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I mean obviously your data looks better but how much does that represent every fired coach who got a job with another team?

I sent you the list. You are free to check my work but as I said there were 8 retreads that were HC coaches in the NFL this year. There were 24 guys still with their first team. 5 of the 8 won SBs with their 2nd team while only 3 of 24 first timers have won a SB.

The 8 2nd time coaches are Campbell, Rivera, Arians, Carroll, Bellichek, McCarthy, Gruden, and Andy Reid. Of that group, 5 won a SB with their 2nd time ie Arians, Carroll, Bellichek, Gruden and Reid. Again feel free to double check my work.

I did not go back more years because you specific claim which you made sure to reiterate when I sent you the list of the 25 best 2nd time coaches was recent or current. Can't now change the criteria.

Another question is how many first time coaches 'succeed,' however you define that. It's not a large percentage. There is no set way to hire. And getting good players is the most important thing,

I already gave him that number. If you define success as SBs then only 3 current first time head coaches out of 24 have won a SB ie Tomlin, Harbaugh and Payton. I guess you can throw McCarthy in there since while he is a 2nd time coach, he won one the first time around.

Last edited:

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Nate Taylor, KC beat writer for The Athletic was just on the score and gave a comprehensive breakdown of the Chiefs infrastructure within the front office. He's written a detailed piece on this previously and has really good relations with some of them including Poles.

Was a good listen. He even gave his thoughts on some names (not ever mentioned elsewhere) on guys he thinks Poles could identify for not only his staff but assistant coaches that could pair well with the HC he hires. All based on Poles relationships.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
One thing I do find a bit amusing was there were several reports that Poles was also believe to be the top choice of the Vikings over the past couple of days. Now that Poles is the GM of the Bears, the story is that the leading candidate for the Vikings was Kwesi Adofo-Mensah all along. Funny how that works...
It’s not that funny. It’s well known for clubs or someone to say that after the fact. So it won’t discourage the other hire.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
I listened to his interview and he said Jim Harbaugh had Pre-Lim conversations with the Bears and he wanted a Gruden 10yr over $100M deal and the Bears were not comfortable with with that risk of a long and that much - He said the Raiders aren't either after getting burned - Can't blame them - It is a lot to risk - So that is why Harbaugh fizzled out.

Looks like Quinn is the guy

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I sent you the list. You are free to check my work but as I said there were 8 retreads that were HC coaches in the NFL this year. There were 24 guys still with their first team. 5 of the 8 won SBs with their 2nd team while only 3 of 24 first timers have won a SB.

The 8 2nd time coaches are Campbell, Rivera, Arians, Carroll, Bellichek, McCarthy, Gruden, and Andy Reid. Of that group, 5 won a SB with their 2nd time ie Arians, Carroll, Bellichek, Gruden and Reid. Again feel free to double check my work.

I did not go back more years because you specific claim which you made sure to reiterate when I sent you the list of the 25 best 2nd time coaches was recent or current. Can't now change the criteria.

I already gave him that number. If you define success as SBs then only 3 current first time head coaches out of 24 have won a SB ie Tomlin, Harbaugh and Payton. I guess you can throw McCarthy in there since while he is a 2nd time coach, he won one the first time around.
I am not going to check your word and assume your 5/8 number is accurate, and it’s impressive. Better than I expected. It is interesting to me that more coaches in the NFL aren’t second or third time HCs if 5 of the 8 in the NFL have won Super Bowls.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nate Taylor, KC beat writer for The Athletic was just on the score and gave a comprehensive breakdown of the Chiefs infrastructure within the front office. He's written a detailed piece on this previously and has really good relations with some of them including Poles.

Was a good listen. He even gave his thoughts on some names (not ever mentioned elsewhere) on guys he thinks Poles could identify for not only his staff but assistant coaches that could pair well with the HC he hires. All based on Poles relationships.
Be nice for some notes

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Does that leave an outside shot at Payton? That khan move is unexpected but could it be an attempt to satisfy Payton’s desire not to be interfered with by ownership?

Or like seemingly every other former Bear Payton has some bad blood?
Payton is taking a year off of coaching, he says.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
One thing I do find a bit amusing was there were several reports that Poles was also believe to be the top choice of the Vikings over the past couple of days. Now that Poles is the GM of the Bears, the story is that the leading candidate for the Vikings was Kwesi Adofo-Mensah all along. Funny how that works...
Yeah, if you listen to the teams' version, no team has ever hired their second choice.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
I listened to his interview and he said Jim Harbaugh had Pre-Lim conversations with the Bears and he wanted a Gruden 10yr over $100M deal and the Bears were not comfortable with with that risk of a long and that much - He said the Raiders aren't either after getting burned - Can't blame them - It is a lot to risk - So that is why Harbaugh fizzled out.

Looks like Quinn is the guy

Call me what you want, but I’d give that to him. Look at the damn candidate pool alone lol

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Call me what you want, but I’d give that to him. Look at the damn candidate pool alone lol
I mean yeah- its not our money and it shouldn't even be an issue to the Bears to pay that.

However, Harbaugh can be a pretty difficult guy. I couldn't imagine being locked in at year 3 and him being insufferable and it isn't working as well as you'd both hoped...and you owe him 70mil....

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
DBB said it this way and it kind of brought it home - It is a lot of money to risk and time to risk with only an email away from getting sued/fired/fined in society today. Gruden didn't even work for the Raiders when that happened.

Also said nobody even thought for a second that Harbaugh would stick around near that long.

But he did say there were people in the building that wanted to offer it...

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
DBB said it this way and it kind of brought it home - It is a lot of money to risk and time to risk with only an email away from getting sued/fired/fined in society today. Gruden didn't even work for the Raiders when that happened.

Also said nobody even thought for a second that Harbaugh would stick around near that long.

But he did say there were people in the building that wanted to offer it...
Let Poles decide. Fuck the rest of them