Hawks Broadcaster Tryout Thread

Granada

Liked Posts:
Thank you for starting this...I thought I was being curmudgeonly because my assessment of the Foley Replacement Tour is that they all suck. The guys doing broadcast are twits, Chelios daughter is wooden and monotone. Pat Boyle looks like a guy who saw an ad for a job he doesn't really want, but rent's due so eh, I'll take it.
It was such a breath of fresh air having Foley and Edzo back last night. I was really hoping to at least find one of these new guys tolerable, but they're all awful. Next year is really going to suck in the booth. Maybe Edzo will make it somewhat entertaining by regularly ripping on whoever the new guy is during the broadcast, like he did with Dan Kelly.

gopher72

Liked Posts:
When I watch the Hawks on NHL Center Ice, I invariably choose to listen to the other team's broadcast . Just better IMHO.

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When I watch the Hawks on NHL Center Ice, I invariably choose to listen to the other team's broadcast . Just better IMHO.
Ditto, although the Ducks guys weren't much better last night. I tried the hawks game first last night, But there was like 6 mins straight of game time while Edzo and Colby were going back and forth, Pat never said a word while the play was going on, if you were on radio you never would have known what was going on. so next commercial break (click on to the ducks broadcast) As for Colby yeah not a fan, but realizing he takes his cue's from Edzo. Edzo likes to venture off some nights and you can see Colby figures hey Edzo does it so that must be the way to go. Atleast Eddie has some good stories once in a while where as Colby had a cup of coffee and goes overboard trying like we get the Howie Meeker thing with Edzo, but really Colby doesn't need to go there. The Hawks guys are mostly the only ones that go back and rehash a play to death and break it down. Not many do that anymore the only thing worse is watching a shoot out and have the color guy try to break down what a player was thinking and why he didn't score. Who cares? the goalie stopped it move on to the next shooter.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ditto, although the Ducks guys weren't much better last night. I tried the hawks game first last night, But there was like 6 mins straight of game time while Edzo and Colby were going back and forth, Pat never said a word while the play was going on, if you were on radio you never would have known what was going on. so next commercial break (click on to the ducks broadcast) As for Colby yeah not a fan, but realizing he takes his cue's from Edzo. Edzo likes to venture off some nights and you can see Colby figures hey Edzo does it so that must be the way to go. Atleast Eddie has some good stories once in a while where as Colby had a cup of coffee and goes overboard trying like we get the Howie Meeker thing with Edzo, but really Colby doesn't need to go there. The Hawks guys are mostly the only ones that go back and rehash a play to death and break it down. Not many do that anymore the only thing worse is watching a shoot out and have the color guy try to break down what a player was thinking and why he didn't score. Who cares? the goalie stopped it move on to the next shooter.
Copunterpoint: Cheesedick was with Philly in the late 2010's and even the Philly fans hated him.

I think the 'hawks/NBCSN are shooting themselves in the foot by going with Colby. He's just not good.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Copunterpoint: Cheesedick was with Philly in the late 2010's and even the Philly fans hated him.

I think the 'hawks/NBCSN are shooting themselves in the foot by going with Colby. He's just not good.
Agreed. The thing that irks me about Colby is that he has a personality that comes off as either fake or douchey. I didn't mind him initially, but the more I hear of him, the more he annoys me. It's almost like he tries too hard or something, which makes him come off as artificial. Last night, he was terrible at guessing when to speak, and the play-by-play had to constantly cut him off. He needs to stop talking so much, for starters.

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed. The thing that irks me about Colby is that he has a personality that comes off as either fake or douchey. I didn't mind him initially, but the more I hear of him, the more he annoys me. It's almost like he tries too hard or something, which makes him come off as artificial. Last night, he was terrible at guessing when to speak, and the play-by-play had to constantly cut him off. He needs to stop talking so much, for starters.
Just for fun last night while the game was on, I would look at the score clock and time him. LOL he averaged 20-30 secs every time he spoke while the play was going on. The best was when the pbp guy lost his feed with 7 mins to go in the game, and good ole Colby spit the bit and just pretty much we had dead air as he tried (loosely) to do play by play for a guy who loves to interject it was crickets.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just for fun last night while the game was on, I would look at the score clock and time him. LOL he averaged 20-30 secs every time he spoke while the play was going on. The best was when the pbp guy lost his feed with 7 mins to go in the game, and good ole Colby spit the bit and just pretty much we had dead air as he tried (loosely) to do play by play for a guy who loves to interject it was crickets.
Thankfully (I guess), I was blacked out by being "local" (as in 180 miles away) from the Seattle market and the game was broadcast here on ROOT. I got their guys. They were decent, not wow like Weiderman/Murray or Pat/Tallon or Pat/Eddie (when they are on), but decent. Much better then the turtleneck brigade that NBCSN is trying to cram down our throats.

In the save vein I think some of the other people the 'hawks were testing out were okay, but it seems that they are hellbent on Cheesedick. Why? Does he have photos of their mothers and agricultural apparatuses? Is he dirt cheap and we're getting what we're paying for?

The guy needs to go. Regis "Pierre" Mcguire might actually be better than him.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pat and Eddie tonight. Good deal!
Unfortunately for them, they have to call a Hawks game. I haven't watched in awhile but I've already seen enough tonight to move over to watch the Bulls.

Hawks are a real tough watch these days......

SkyKing

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I live out of market. Up until this year I bought a streaming subscription but decided not to this year. I finally got a game to watch and it's 5-0 at the second intermission. Sucks.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fuck is with Foley's audio tonight?

Sounds muffled, then it gets super loud.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Admittedly, I was too infested in watching the Packers lose, so I didn't see the entire Hawks game Saturday and was flipping back and forth. Nick Olczyk -- from the bits I heard -- was really good. He reminded me of Eddy, but without the goofiness (and I normally don't mind Eddy, for the record). But why was Eddie out? I heard toward the end of the broadcast that Pat said it was a pleasure to have him, but they wished it wasn't under these circumstances.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Admittedly, I was too infested in watching the Packers lose, so I didn't see the entire Hawks game Saturday and was flipping back and forth. Nick Olczyk -- from the bits I heard -- was really good. He reminded me of Eddy, but without the goofiness (and I normally don't mind Eddy, for the record). But why was Eddie out? I heard toward the end of the broadcast that Pat said it was a pleasure to have him, but they wished it wasn't under these circumstances.
I can't find any news about it...

Granada

Liked Posts:
Nick again for the second time. I went to sleep after Colorado went up 2-0, but from what I heard, he was good again. It's eerie how similar he sounds like Eddie, I know they're related obviously, but still.

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
Nick again for the second time. I went to sleep after Colorado went up 2-0, but from what I heard, he was good again. It's eerie how similar he sounds like Eddie, I know they're related obviously, but still.

John Wiedeman and Nick Olczyk would be an easy transition on the ears from Pat and Eddie

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
John Wiedeman and Nick Olczyk would be an easy transition on the ears from Pat and Eddie
I could get behind that.

They still need to jettison Cheesedick though. Be it color, analyst, or hockey player the guy sucks.

Granada

Liked Posts:
It really would, each sounds extremely similar to their counterpart. I'd love it and have been supporting that for a while now, but I'm beginning to wonder if Wiedeman doesn't want to do TV because he's not sure how much longer he's going to call games. He'll be turning around 65 this year. Hell, I'd be fine with hiring him for a 5 year deal, but I doubt the Hawks do that because they're stupid and they'll want "young" guys (even if they're all terrible).

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mully and Haugh were talking Hawks this AM, and Haugh said something about "when he's feeling better" regarding Olczyk but did not elaborate.