Ryan Poles Head Coaching Interviews....

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
This worries me. If Poles was told that he can pick his HC from the pool of George and Polian's final three candidates then the process is tainted. Perhaps this is why Dodds got cold feet?
Guess we will have to wait until that head coach gets fired and then Poles makes his own pool of candidates.

• Sad
Reactions: chi

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He is a good coach I just don’t think he can be a long term hire. He needs to explain his retirement plan and have an all star staff. Need a top Asst HC in case he has health problems again. That’s literally my only reservation, age bias.

Then he should bring in Pep Hamilton as OC. Hamilton has an excellent record of Qb development.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can’t argue that. But I’d rather have someone like Daboll who has had more recent success with a young QB. It will be tough for Quinn to find another great OC and I just don’t trust Caldwell without Manning under center.

Do you think that maybe Poles would ask him about his staff before hiring him? Like if he says he will get McDaniel from San Fran who worked with him in Atl, would that be ok?

McDaniel is probably missing out on HC gigs because Shanny calls plays not him. Getting to call plays and develop Fields would probably put him over the top.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
It really simple. Find a head coach that has developed young quarterbacks. None of the current candidates really fit that bill.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Definitely can. But there are other HCs out there who still led their teams to successful season when the starting (good) QB went down. Caldwell is not part of that group. I’d be more interested in Caldwell as the OC, not HC.

I think when Manning went down Caldwell had some garbage Qb. I'd have to look him up. If ya look at Caldwell's resume it's one of success vs failure. Plus he brings HC experience.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Don't think for a second guys like Poles aren't "Yes" men. They just received a multi-million dollar per year raise. They will hire whatever coach from whatever pool the front office tells them to.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It really simple. Find a head coach that has developed young quarterbacks. None of the current candidates really fit that bill.

Or you can find a HC that can run an entire team including hiring a QB coach and OC that can develop a young QB.

Don't think for a second guys like Poles aren't "Yes" men. They just received a multi-million dollar per year raise. They will hire whatever coach from whatever pool the front office tells them to.

Do you think they interviewed Poles and failed to ask him which HC he liked?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Look up Pep Hamilton. Hamiton was GM and HC in the XFL. And he has a excellent Qb development background , i.e. Luck, Herbert and Davie Mills

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think when Manning went down Caldwell had some garbage Qb.
Caldwell's numbers with Manning weren't anything special for Manning, 99 and 91 QBR. He put up 3 consecutive 100+ QBR ratings both BEFORE (04-06) and AFTER (2012-2014) Caldwell. Manning actually had his worst season in 10 years under Caldwell.

If you look at his history with both Manning and Stafford, he did nothing special with them in both head coaching stints. There is a reason this guy has been fired twice.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Quinn is interviewing right now as we speak. He's been in the room for quite some time...
Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Quinn getting the job.

Who he chooses to be his coordinators is probably the biggest thing for all of us at this point.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Look up Pep Hamilton. Hamiton was GM and HC in the XFL. And he has a excellent Qb development background , i.e. Luck, Herbert and Davie Mills
He did a bang up job with Sexy Rexy back in the day in Chicago as well.

• Haha
Reactions: chi

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of Quinn getting the job.
Quinn will bring sound defensive fundamentals to a team, but that is about it. If we are going DC route, which we shouldn't, the nod should be to Eberflus at least he is an up and comer and not a has been.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Quinn will bring sound defensive fundamentals to a team, but that is about it. If we are going DC route, which we shouldn't, the nod should be to Eberflus at least he is an up and comer and not a has been.

Same age as Quinn lol, more like lifetime mediocre middle management guy.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe these three were his top candidates as well? But yes, as far as OPTICS, it would look better if he interviewed a few others as well, even IF they were his top three. LOOKS like he isn't calling the shots. We'll see.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Do you think that maybe Poles would ask him about his staff before hiring him? Like if he says he will get McDaniel from San Fran who worked with him in Atl, would that be ok?

McDaniel is probably missing out on HC gigs because Shanny calls plays not him. Getting to call plays and develop Fields would probably put him over the top.
Getting a name like that makes Quinn more intriguing, but I also think the chances of that are low. Going from OC to OC, do the 49ers give the Bears permission to interview him? Does the front office want to pair an “inexperienced” OC with Fields.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Agreed 100%. If Poles picks from the pre-selected list, we will know he is a puppet. That's what happens when you hire a 36 year old executive getting his first shot in the big leagues.. they will do whatever it takes to get the job even if that means taking on a lame duck coach.

Pretty identical to the route they took with Pace.
Stop being an idiot. Poles had his choice of jobs. He was a finalist for two others, and word was Minny desperately wanted him.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I think when Manning went down Caldwell had some garbage Qb. I'd have to look him up. If ya look at Caldwell's resume it's one of success vs failure. Plus he brings HC experience.
Yeah Mannings back up was nothing special. I might look at his success different than you. The last time he was HC and calling plays, his offenses ranked pretty poorly. And the game has changed since he last called plays.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Or you can find a HC that can run an entire team including hiring a QB coach and OC that can develop a young QB.
It doesn't work like that anymore Remy. Any OC with a scintilla of offensive proficiency gets a HC job. You aren't going to keep an offensive staff intact for very long unless its the HC's system.